is it worth changing?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by setaa, Apr 17, 2006.

1. setaa

setaa Regular Member

since little, i've been gripping the racket with the v around 10 o'clock. about a month ago or so, i started changing my grip with v on the 12 o'clock. apart from less torture to inner thumb joint, i found that it's easier to change grip (to backhand and panhandle) and my overhead stroke is smoother. but of course i'm still not perfectly used to it thus sometimes my fingers get disorientated during the game and i need to "flip/roll" the grip to adjust them

so, is it worth changing?

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

This is a difficult question to answer, because both grips are useful in different situations.

If I understand your description correctly, then the "12 o'clock" grip is the "standard" grip that most coaches have been teaching, where the "V" is aligned with the thinner side of the racket handle, so that when the racket is held in front of you the strings are not visible.

The "10 o'clock" position, I guess, would be to move this V slightly further "left" or anticlockwise for a right hander (right/clockwise for a left hander).

This 10 o'clock grip is actually what Badminton England are teaching as the basic forehand grip nowadays. It is not mentioned in the BC grips guide, because the new level 2 syllabus came out after I wrote the guide!

I will (eventually) update the guide to include this grip.

In my view, this 10 o'clock grip is better for strokes such as forehand drives, where the shuttle is taken a little below net height, to the side and slightly in front of the body. It is also better for net shots with the racket head below the hand.

I do not believe this is an effective grip for overhead forehands. In fact, Lee Jae Bok says to go the other way for overheads: use a "2 o'clock" grip instead. But I believe the 12 will be more effective than the 10 for overheads.

If you must choose only one of the grips, use the 12.

3. setaa

setaa Regular Member

thanks gollum :)