User Tag List

Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Chris, congrats to CCC. We now have 24 members, 8 more to reach your set target. Maybe you should include a review of the food we ate for supper to attract more people attending...just kidding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hmmm... Food...

Quote Originally Posted by BadFever
    Hi Chris, congrats to CCC. We now have 24 members, 8 more to reach your set target. Maybe you should include a review of the food we ate for supper to attract more people attending...just kidding.
    Hi BadFever,
    Not a bad idea... The more the merrier. Supper time is also my favourite part of the club activites.

Hi Chris, another suggestion.
    How about telling us more badminton hints at the supper and this may entice more curious members to join us?

BTW, thanks for the drop-shot hint last night. With more practise, I may use it against you one day.

Cheers,
    Fuji

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc

Another GOOD SESSION last night, 7-Jul-2006.

However, Peter suggested another possible different system. Peter said to give him 2 weeks to come out with a new MAGNETIC BOARD for his new system. We all agreed to give it a try when Peter is ready.

Ah yes, must have launched into one of my tea-injected soliloquys. I do remember wondering about strapping a fridge to the roof of my car.

So, to explain...

When setting up a game of two teams from a pool it is a matter of balancing the needs of both. An important aspect to balance is who will come first in the race to 21, the handicap system addresses that well. There are other aspects to consider, and these vary from player to player. For example, I happen to like long rallys: the shuttle zipping back and forth, side to side, steadfastly refusing to touch the ground despite specific encouragement to the contrary.

Returning to the pool, for any given team there are some that are more suited to their style of play and what they want from the game. So to balance the wants of the players I suggest that we add a measure of discretion to the scheduling of games.

The actual mechanics are a little up in the air and any suggestions are welcome. As it stands, the teams waiting to play form a queue ordered from 'next to play' to 'just came off'. When a court is open, the 'next to play' team chooses another team from the queue and the game begins, using their handicaps to mediate the race. The gaps in the queue left by the two vacating teams are closed up ready for the next game. When the game concludes, the teams are added to the bottom of the queue.

And so to the magnetic board. Teams are represented by fridge magnets and aligned in the queue. There is a corral for those currently playing and it is up to the teams to keep track of their own magnet. The current handicap and initials will be recorded on the fridge magnet if I can find some big enough.

I believe the queue is reasonably fair in that all teams will eventually bubble to the top and have the chance to choose an opponent. It may be that some teams will become popular opponents and regularly yanked out of the queue early. If this becomes a concern there have been suggestions that will mitigate the effect.

As mentioned above send through any thoughts, suggestions, abuse HAH.

Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know, my hairdresser, don't laugh...

Please keep us updated with the proposed Wed night coaching/training session.

Hi Chris & Fuji,

If only I can get my hairdresser to come along. He is magical with his pair of hands (lightning speed) but the end result can be disastrous - like your Yonex shuttle after a game.

Chris, had a chat with the little one at home abt Wed. He shrugged his shoulder - that is a good sign . Please keep me updated abt the session.

Thks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris, forgotten to tell you that on friday Tyler try to bend down to meet the shuttle. The badminton god must be smiling! Now i probablay try to teach him how to run out of court and get back. Also confirm for wednesday night 7:30 at box hill for coaching.

On second thoughts, if in near future we get less than 8 people for 5 chapters of coaching. Would you consider Box hill venue again?

If we were going to have that noise level on friday supper, we might be stuck in Ocean King forever.

Hope this would not disappoint people who try to get a laugh out of this!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default match schedule theories

After playing in the handicap system for some time I can put forward another theory for match schedules.

I call it the "Scattering Probability Matrix"

Each player carries their own individual handicap score. By random 4 players enter the court from the pool and play. The result alters their individual handicaps. Then to ensure the 4 can't play each other the same way, 2 have to play other people and the pairs playing together have to split up. Eventually everyone will have played everyone

This idea has the following advantages:
    1. Overcomes the problem of people not always turning up and creating upteen number of pairs who have to be recorded.
    2. Mixes it up and stops people becoming bored playing with the same partner and also other teams knowing who the strong pairs are and who will win each week.
    3. Cuts down on the administration and people having to wait around to play.

Disadvantages I can think of are:
    1. Limited number of strong teams versus strong teams
    2. Individual handicaps can be a bit less meaningful if you play with weaker player all the time and keep losing
    3. Needs everyone to remember who they played with and against, normally not a problem for 20 or so people, but could get tricky when up to 32 players.

PS - Peter you had me running for my dictionary on those "soliloquies" hehe! But I like the idea of bringing a fridge each week Maybe add some food to it too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo77
    But I like the idea of bringing a fridge each week Maybe add some food to it too!
    Hey aka Robbo77,

A portable bar fridge would certainly shorten the coke supply line. It does however need to put the magnetic doodads at eye height. Not much around to put it on, only thing I can think of is ... 2 bar fridges ... one for food and one for drinkies.

I think I'll stick with a whiteboard just for the moment though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and to continue...

I agree that the scheduling requires low administration and furthermore is robust in the face of latecomers and early leavers.

Currently partners can swap on a scheduled match which is a restricted version of what you suggest.

There will be a bucket in which to put the doodads near the whiteboard so simply pick one up when you arrive and stick it at the bottom of the queue and *importantly not to incur the wrath of he who bought the doodads* put it back when you leave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi DoublesPlease & Robbo77, it's good that both of you come out with some ideas. To tell you the truth, I got very confused trying to figure out both ideas. I got lost when the word 'fridge' first got mentioned. IMHO, as long as we get to play more and use the least time to manage the system, that's good enough.

The following is just a suggestion (from someone who drank too much last night):
    I noticed that we sometimes get quite a few female players. If we get more than 4 and the ladies don't mind, may I suggest we split all of them up and play mix double competitions. NO MERCY type, ok, meaning we can do full Power smashes whenever we feel like it. To make it more interesting, let's consider a fault if, when smash, the shuttle hit the female players. In other words, no smashing to the ladies or if you can convince your partnet to take a hit for free point, by all mean then. That way, we might get to see someone do a Lin Dan's dive. What do you think, Chris, or LilyC? Other than LilyC, any female player read this thread?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i strongly agree with the "no smashing to girl rule" as suggested by bad fever. If we were going to implement something, we might as well put in a system.

As Chris can tell you how many times i been smashed in the body per night 3 years ago by people from the backline. This is especially discouraging for players who are trying to train very hard as I did not learn anything at all. I think it goes the same for those people who smash me. Still, chris has been telling people not to smash at girls all the time.

Remembering this past friday, I would think there are people other than girl that you cannot smash, little Ned being one of them (thankfully Lew support him really well, even coming to the front for smash). So, do we make exception for some beginners (besides girls, Ned and Tyler comes to mind for this group) if they are just starting? If so, who should be the judge for inclusion in that group?

i suggest we get players to do a overhead clear in a relaxed mode, feed as high as possible and if in 5 tries they cannot get past 2/3 of the court, they would be absolute beginner. The rationale behind this is if you cannot do a good clear people would consistenly pick on you by clearing to you and beating you by whatever shot. This way we could shot out the absolute beginner.

I think the argument of taking consideration for ladies could be extend to taking consideration for beginner, putting Ned and Tyler at that group. Do we have any opinion on this?

Any opinion is welcomed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi everyone@CCC!
    Friday night was again a very good session!
    Hm... As I was reading the other ways (suggested by Peter and Robbo77) to make the match work... but... ... I still got lost... haha. Maybe I wasn't really paying attention. Let me just say - it's really nice to see everyone's trying to look after the beginners. Highly appreciated, but as one of the beginners, I do hope that you are all enjoying the games, too.

To BadFever: I understand what you mean with the smash thingy though... I can imagine how difficult it is for good 'smashers' to NOT smash in the games. maybe we can give it a try next friday night and see what others think.

To Chris & ppl interested in the coaching classes: From Chris's last mention on the coaching class, I know Chiranthi-M is interested, too. (don't think she read this thread though.) but what do others think about Wednesday night @ Glen Waverly? Chris, keep us updated with the decision making progress. However, is there a particular reason why you choose Wed night? Is the Wed night one replacing the Sunday morning @ Albert Park?

To CCC supper club: Not sure what you guys usually have, but there is a good one for congee lovers - it's called "King Pot Restaurant" - 97 Kingsway. Kung-Lin and I had dinner on Friday night there and we liked the congee there! Congee haters, don't worry, it's got other things as well. oh! one thing though... i think this place closes at 11pm. haha... oops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The following is just a suggestion from someone who has not had enough sleep for a long time because of the world cup.

I do quite like Badfever's suggestion about mixed pairing except for the smashing bit. I observed that you will try to play a little bit better than your usual self with a better partner so as not to disappoint them. Isn't that why we keep apologising to our partner for hitting a bad shot? On the other hand , the better partner will work harder to maintain a long rally so as not to disappoint the opponent. Maybe, we should not categorise into men and ladies but into higher and lower level (or beginers) for pairing. Some ladies can be pretty good too.

This 'mixed' pairing will hopefully fill the 'missing intermediate' level ??

Regardless of skilled level , everyone of us wears a pretty little smile on their face when the rally last long. Perhaps that is why we sometimes mucked around to make the rally last longer.

Like Fuji, to me , overall the handicapped sytem is not too bad lah ! and it should work better if like what Chris said we shouldn't muck around to prolong the game. Those who scores the most 21 -0 for the night gets icecream (on me - only joking , some ppl might piss on me). Theoretically, as long as the ratio of higher to lower skilled pairs that turns up for the night is quite high and time of play is around 5 and 15 mins (i.e round robin system). Higher versus higher level will play longer together for the night. If otherwise (i.e more lower level turns up than higher), the 'mixed' pairs can maybe fill the gap of the higher skills?? Badfever , am I right to say that??

Chris knows too well that poses a hell of an administrative problem. Not everyone turns up regularly, regular partner not turning up,there are latecomers, some who are not too sure of who to pair with, newcomers etc etc.

Other than the regular pairing of your own choice, if Chris will to fix up one (or maybe two) alternative 'mixed' pair for us basing on his observation of what skilled level we are - will that not fill the gaps for the night?? What I am saying is the higher skill level can still pair up with their regular partner for the night but if situation requires they might have to split up (once in a while during the night) at the discretion of Chris.

We might all have to come a little earlier for determining the alternative "mixed" pairing for the night.

I hope I am not putting worms into my ..... (you know where)

Lily ... what do u think?

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me quickly clear the air about what I said "except the smashing bit". I do strongly support the rule "protecting the girls & beginers". But I believe we can make a judgement on how hard we can smash depending on the situation. They do need to learn how to take weak smashes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LilyC, I would like you to show us the newplace for supper!

As for wedensday night coaching. I like drills more than game, as drill serve the purpose of practicing a certain shot. And eventhough i have repeated chris's 20 chapter for 3 times, i still enjoy doing them.

yschin, I like the part of "they do need to learn how to take weak smashes" cos if those beginner are doing coaching, they will learn how to block smash. So that means that we are just banning smashing to the body then, right?

Also yschin, i like your thinking of "come a little earlier for determining the alternative "mixed" pairing for the night". I always try to do that eventhough i ain't good at mopping the floor (as u all know this past friday).
    Chris should be thrilled if every nite people arrive at 7:45 and listen to his speech and start playing! And Lew (the kid at the door) might be out of a job if that happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Changing format for mixed pairs

Hmm, the suggestion that to make the game more even by playing mixed doubles is interesting for many reasons.

1. Admistratively this might give Chris a problem by trying to schedule which pairs split to play mixed and then what teams keep following the schedule.

2. Until the girls get a bit stronger and more skilled, its not a good idea to put them at the front all the time as some smashes still go off target and into a person. At this stage they can't always return a gentle lob, so not a good idea to introduce smashes into the game just to give the guys a bit more interest in the match I feel.

3. Lastly if the gap between the skill levels of the guys and girls is too big in a mixed game, the girls will lose interest as the shuttle will just be wizzing pass with their only action being to serve or return serve.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default All suggestions will be taken on board

Hi everyone@ccc,

After an exhausting day of coaching today, all I wanted to do when I got home was to have a nap. But it was a long nap.

And when I came to the computer to check for mails, WOW!!!, I found that our CCC thread has been very busy.

I like to thank Fuji, BadFever, DoublesPlease, yschin, Robbo77, hkhung and LilyC for their so many suggestions.

To Robbo77, You suggested that Each player carries their own individual handicap score. But you have not noticed, we are already doing this.

Anyway, all suggestions will be taken on board. But we can only try out one suggestion at a time.

So this is what we will do;
    Friday 14-Jul-2006, while still using our MATCH SCHEDULE(Post#288), the one we used last Friday, 7-July-2006, we will split all of the ladies up and play Mixed Doubles Matches instead(this is from BadFever's Post#298). However, as we know, LilyC is the only lady responding to suggestions put forward in our CCC thread. May be the other ladies are just allowing us to decide, or may be, they are not reading our thread. We must encourage everyone@ccc to read and to participate in our discussions.

To LilyC from chris@ccc, Since you are +8 and I am -8, may be you and I could form a partnership for this Mixed Doubles event, with our aggregate handicap of ZERO. So LilyC, tell me what you think.

Friday 21-Jul-2006, this is when DoublesPlease will be expecting to have prepared/organised his MAGNETIC BOARD(Post#292). so we will try it on this night.

Friday 28-Jul-2006, we will try Robbo77's suggestion(Post#295) that to ensure the 4 can't play each other the same way, 2 have to play other people and the pairs playing together have to split up.

BTW, for ladies who are afraid to play Mixed Doubles, pleases consult me. I will show you a way of how to protect yourself from being hit while playing the Mixed Doubles event.

PLEASE NOTE: There will be an Info Release this Wednesday, 12-Jully-2006, about our intended CCC Coaching And Training(CAT) Session , which is to be held every Wednesday at our Glen Waverley venue.

Cheers... chris@ccc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkhung
    I think the argument of taking consideration for ladies could be extend to taking consideration for beginners...
    Hey HK,

I think rather than make rules about who is or isn't off limits it would be better to be flexible and sum up your opponents in relation to your own skill level. There are ladies out there that would eat both of us for brekky. Always a good idea to have a quick hitup if you haven't played someone before.

There's been a lot of discussion about mismatched skill levels when playing games. My experience is that if there is a large difference in skill
    level the game really can really only be played for the fun of it.

Firstly, what I learn during a game is strategy, how to interact with your partner and pinpointing your opponents' weaknesses. Other skills such as footwork and strokes I find are better suited to drill.

If the stronger team plays competitively then, granted, the game will be mercifully short. My experience of games where I played the role of lamb to the slaughter is I spent a lot of time just trying to follow the shuttle. If I did get a racquet on it, it was roundly killed not long after. It's difficult to learn strategy if, for all intents and purposes, your opponent has no weaknesses and everything you do ends up coming back twice as fast. Apart from recalibrating my ego back a few notches I took very little away from the games.

In the end, what it comes down to is what am I looking to get out of the game that I'm about to play. For me, sometimes it's fun, sometimes to
    work off a bit of excess energy, sometimes to have a good hard match against a team I have a chance of beating, you get the idea. The important thing is I would like some flexibility in the type of game I play.

This is the reason I would like to try the game scheduling method outlined in a previous post and it has been good of Chris to allow the trial. If my handwaving in cyberspace description doesn't make sense I'm sure it will become clearer when seen in action.

Can't be much longer till the soccer starts.

oh, PS Badfever, consider the fridge banished

Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast