User Tag List

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Chris@CCC and everyone!!!

Wow~~~ I just learnt something new from the last few posts about the shuttles, didn't know they differ in these ways. (hm... oh no... I have just showed how little I know... haha... )

Anywayz, good to see more people posting here.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi LilyC,

Guess what...I also didn't know about the shuttles speeds thingy...serious!!. I have been reading some old postings in this forum, especially under "badminton equipment", I get even more confused. But I think the most important is for all of us to enjoy playing badminton. The rests are secondary, unless you plan to play competitively.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 3rd Effort by some shuttlecock-makers to make labelling easier

Quote Originally Posted by BadFever
    Hi LilyC,

Guess what...I also didn't know about the shuttles speeds thingy...serious!!. I have been reading some old postings in this forum, especially under "badminton equipment", I get even more confused. But I think the most important is for all of us to enjoy playing badminton. The rests are secondary, unless you plan to play competitively.

Hi BadFever,

You are correct... to enjoy badminton, we should not need to know too much. This is because if too much info is provided, we might get more confused by it.

I regret giving too much info. But since I have started it, I am going to finish it with a little bit more and to summarise/simplify it at the end of this post.

All this confusion is caused by different weight systems used in different countries, and different temperatures and/or different altitudes(above sea-level) where the venue of play is.

In Australia, not many of us know about weights measured in grains. We know about grams, even though we don't hear about decigram. 1 decigram = 1/10th of a gram.

The other point is “colder/denser air”. In physics, for those who have studied it, you would know that when the air temperature is the lower, the denser the air is. Also, the lower the altitude(above sea-level) the venue is, the denser the air is. Finally, the higher the humidity the air is, the denser the air is.

For a shuttle to travel the same distance through colder/denser air, we need a heavier shuttle.

What applies to us at CCC Badminton @Glen Waverley is that we know our hall temperature does not vary too much(10C in Winter, 30C in Summer), giving us the average of 20C. We are almost at sea-level and our himidity is averaging around 60%.

Now, some of the makers of shuttles are trying to use a 3rd Simplified Labelling(ie Speed Number), hoping this will be the Final(International) labelling for shuttle speed. They label it as 1=slower, 2=slow, 3=medium, 4=fast and 5=faster.

So to summarise; I will chart it as
    Speed: Speed Number =Decigrams =Grains
    Slower =1 =48 =75
    Slow =2 =49 =76
    Medium =3 =50 =77
    Fast =4 =51 =78
    Faster =5 =52 =79

If in doubt, choose Medium=3=50=77

For us at CCC Badminton @Glen Waverley, we will use Medium=3=50=77. This is all you need to know.

Cheers... chris@ccc

Last edited by chris-ccc; 05-24-2006 at 07:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Chris@CCC!!!

NO NO NO!!! Why regret for giving too much info???
    I think people like me are learning from the posts!!!
    If you are worrying about how this may cause confusions...
    hm.. I think it's fine - serious.
    At least now that we understand that shuttles "behave" differently under different conditions and with your summary, it's not so confusing anymore, isn't it?

Btw, Friday is near... hehe...
    Cheers.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CCC Membership Form sent out today

Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc

In the next couple of days, I will be sending out Membership Forms so that you can fill in the form before you turn up at our session.

Hi Everyone,

Today, I have sent out the CCC Membership Form to you.

If you did not get it, then give me your email address by sending it to chris@cccbadminton.com

The new payment structure will commence from June-2006. So, for this Friday 26-May-2006, payments will remain the same as before.

See you on Friday.

Cheers... chris@ccc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new payment structure will commence from June-2006. So, for this Friday 26-May-2006, payments will remain the same as before.

Hi Chris, finally I got to here and hope can talk to u here often, I saw you are on Gtalk but always busy or away so I didn't talk to u at all, but anyway, we can talk tomorrow night.

Cheers, Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Chris,

Since you have written so much about shuttlecocks (very good reading), why not keep going.

Lets see, why don't you explain about rackets. I have read quite a lot in the forum where people discuss about beginners shouldn't use expensive rackets. Other than $$$$ matter, based on your experience as a coach, what is your say about it? For example, if LilyC tells you one day that she wanted to buy a Yonex NS9000 cos she loves the colors of the racket and she don't mind paying $300 for it, what will you tell her?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Membership form received

Today, I have sent out the CCC Membership Form to you.

Hi Chris,

I have received the CCC membership form via e-mail today.

Thanks,
    Kee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Chris,

Thks for the form which I received in the mail today. Confirmed joining as member.

First time in this kind of forum, took a while to get to this stage.

Running thro' this thread and reading all the interesting ideas and suggestions, I am just wondering whether there is such a thing like interclub tournament for seniors( 45 or 50 and above) like what we have in NZ or M'sia.

Cheers
    YS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Veterans in Victoria, 2006

Quote Originally Posted by yschin

Running thro' this thread and reading all the interesting ideas and suggestions, I am just wondering whether there is such a thing like interclub tournament for seniors( 45 or 50 and above) like what we have in NZ or M'sia.
    Yes, I have a friend who is always looking for seniors to play in our Victorian Veteran.

Her name is Esme and her number is 03-9874-5415. Give her a call and get involved with the Victorian Veteran Tournaments.

Cheers... chris@ccc

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hi dust2k, it's Friday again

Quote Originally Posted by dust2k
    Hi Chris, finally I got to here and hope can talk to u here often, I saw you are on Gtalk but always busy or away so I didn't talk to u at all, but anyway, we can talk tomorrow night.

Cheers, Bill
    Hi dust2k and everyone,

We will still welcome friends of yours or anyone new to join us tonight. We will be closed for membership only when we reach 32. But do you think we can get that many?

Tonight, we will be asking players to join our CCC Club Membership, as discussed in previous posts. Our new fees structure will start from Friday 2-June-2006(which is only the 1 session away). Fees will go down to $5 per session for Club Members, but fees remain at $10 for Casual Visitors.

Like every Friday, I will be out coaching the whole day, so I won't be reading any mail. If you need to contact me, please ring my mobile phone 0419-542-037.

As usual, we are going for supper at Kingsway, Glen Waverley, after our games tonight.

Cheers... chris@ccc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Chris@CCC,

I've got your email, too!
    Thanks.

Hi Badfever,
    hehe... good scenario!

Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi LilyC,

Good scenario, eh. Just trying to make Chris do more typing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi BadFever,
    Another scenario.
    How about if a decent player needs a good racquet and doesn't have the $$$ to get one? How much does it matter between a $80 racquet compared to a $300 racquet?

No wonder my smashes are not as powerful as yours. Need to save up to get the super duper racquet...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to play badminton in Glen Waverley area but I am looking for some strong competition.

Can you pls tell me the standard and how much is the membership ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default cold air is denser

Hi Chris

Now I am confused, isn't air supposedly 'thinner' when you climb a tall mountain where the air is freezing? Not that I will test the theory of that one
    So if I was playing badminton in Tibet, then I should use a lighter shuttle because the air is thinner? BUt you said the colder the air then the denser (thicker it is) so then I should use a heavier/faster shuttle, which I think sounds right because in summer the heavy shuttles go further and faster.
    These topics are very interesting, keep them up . Also let me know when your club has a few strong players and I will come for a visit some time. I have been playing over at Donvale (wah so much gambling!) or Keysborough on Friday nights when I have had free time.

Cheers Anthony

The other point is “colder/denser air”. In physics, for those who have studied it, you would know that when the air temperature is the lower, the denser the air is. Also, the lower the altitude(above sea-level) the venue is, the denser the air is. Finally, the higher the humidity the air is, the denser the air is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji_
    Hi BadFever,
    Another scenario.
    How about if a decent player needs a good racquet and doesn't have the $$$ to get one? How much does it matter between a $80 racquet compared to a $300 racquet?

No wonder my smashes are not as powerful as yours. Need to save up to get the super duper racquet...
    Hi Fuji,

I have proven tonight that expensive racket is not necessary going to improve my smash. As a matter of fact, my smashes were disastrous tonigh. FYI, for the last few weeks, I was using my 15 years old rackets, Pro Kennex Carbon Pro 1200 and Cab10. I think I can smash harder using them.

However, did you notice tonight that my smashes were mostly too soft and high!!! That's because I bought myself a Yonex AT800 Off. I paid $200 for it. The one thing I like about the AT800 is the loooooong handle. I guess I just need to adjust to the new racket. Anyway, it's always fun to try something new.

Happy saving, man.

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast