can't return clear far enough

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by tneiba, Apr 19, 2006.

1. tneiba

tneiba Regular Member

I am a beggining player and I have an opponent who usually clears all the way to the back. Since i don't have much power, my returns end up close to net. Then they clear to the back again and I am constantly in the back. The strange thing is that this player who keeps hitting to the back and not using a drop to win is beating me while a person who incorporates different shots, I actually have a chance at. Maybe this person is just targeting my weakness. Any suggestions would be great.

2. MythrilBlue

MythrilBlue Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Hi tneiba. I would say learn to clear from baseline to baseline. If you can only do a drop from the baseline, then your opponent can easily predict your shot and win.

Something that may help in clearing would be your footwork. If you can get to the baseline and be in a good position to clear, chances are you'll be able to do a good clear.

There's lots of discussion in the forums on footwork and clearing. A better way of learning is to get someone experienced to teach you. :)

3. Peter Chang

Peter Chang New Member

Can't Clear Far Enough

Chances are that you don't have the right grip so it prevents you from hitting far. It can also be due to your bad footwork or you are too slow in return because you should always hit the birdie when it's infront of you to execute a good return.:)

4. setaa

setaa Regular Member

or it might just be ur technique :)

look around in the forums there are alot of valuable information regarding proper way of holding the racket and proper way to hit the birdie

5. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

If your at the recreational beginner level you might want to go talk to some more advanced players. I'm sure they would help you.