pls help backhand(help!!!!!!!!)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jaylhw1, Apr 20, 2006.

1. jaylhw1

jaylhw1 Regular Member

can someone tell me how to make the back hand more powerful to the basline ,many people prefer attack my backhand and i always hit the shuttle to half court ,so sad..........and when people smash me and i hit the shuttle to half court again.....when defend from smashing how to hold the racket is hold tighly or slowli........and i duno when should hold racket tigh or slowli.thx

2. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    Check the following:
    1. Correct backhand grip - see Gollums guide http://www.badmintoncentral.com/badm...nt/view/81/35/)
    2. Correct supination technique - you should be turning your forehand as you hit the shuttle. Do a search on 'pronation' and 'supination'
    3. Appropriate string tension - if you are a beginner then don't go above 22lbs

other than these things it's just practice, practice, practice!!

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Erk! If you follow that latter link, you now see a debugging page I was working on :eek: Mea culpa.

In any case, the demo had little content. For now, the old guide is better.

Note, however, that the "backhand" grip is not the right grip for hitting backhand overhead clears. For these strokes, you need either:
    • A "forehand" grip;
    • A panhandle grip; or
    • A multipurpose grip.
    For smash returns, I believe that a short "forehand" (actually neutral) grip is more effective. This is a rare example of a grip working for both sides of the body.

#3 Gollum, Apr 20, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  4. crosscourt

Legal
    eh? how can you hit an overhead clear with a panhandle grip, seems a bit odd to me! Not saying you got it wrong, just seems as thought it would be difficult to get the power. Will try it tonight in my front room tonight though!

5. samohtom

samohtom Regular Member

backhand

Yep, I'd backup what Gollum said. I use both a panhandle and a multipurpose (along the diagonal edge) for my backhand overheads. Lee Jae-bok also showed me a version using a forehand grip, but I don't like it as much because there's less potential to hit cross court.

6. crosscourt

Legal
    Yes, I use the diagonal edge for backhand clears but the backhand panhandle is a new one for me! I guess I've learned something new today!

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Note that the boundary between these grips can become fuzzy.

The panhandle is normally used when the shuttle has passed further behind you, so that you are in real trouble ;)

8. jaylhw1

jaylhw1 Regular Member

i can not see the hi2index web page at all,wat means panhandle my englsih not good ........

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You can't see it because I just deleted it. It was only a temporary location, and slightly naughty too: it is a commercial site I made.

"Pandhandle" is a name for a common badminton grip, so called because it is similar to one way of holding a frying pan. Put your racket on the floor, and then pick it up "naturally" -- i.e. without turning it. This is a panhandle grip, a 90 degrees rotation from "forehand" (neutral).