United-badminton-of-FemalePlayers-

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by cendolabc, Apr 20, 2006.

1. cendolabc

cendolabc Regular Member

I put thisThread Topic coz i tot it'd be nice for women players to put their thoughts/opinions tgther without having to bore the other very obvious majority male players of this site.

there are so SO many topics that we can discuss here... eg;
    1. the proper clothing; esp for those who sweat a lot.. how to prevent from showing err..*too much*, :confused:
    2. ideal length of shorts, how short is too short?
    3. sleeveless shirt?
    4. how would u wear your hair, (in whatever length)
    5. would u put on minimum amount of make-up; colored lip-balm-(i see before k!!)? :rolleyes:
    6. would you change your soaking-sweat-wet sports attire despite the inconvenience facility provided?
    7. do u feel shy when male players just take off their shirt in -front of you as if they are your grandfather, ? :rolleyes:
    8. how would u react towards those VERY veli chauvinistic male partners while playing?

2. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

i'm a guy, but i play with quite a few girls who's had similar questions in terms of clothing....

you might want to check out the badminton clothing section of the equipment forums.
    theres lots of good pointers in there for moisture wicking polyester shirts that would be a great solution for numbers 1, 3, 6.

these polyester shirts tend to keep you warm, remove moisture, dry fast and stay dry, etc.

sometimes if you're feeling that your'e constrained to tank tops for normal cotton clothing, a t-shirt or those cap-sleaved t-shirts would be perfectly fine with the additional properties.

3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Second guy to reply :)
    1. the proper clothing; esp for those who sweat a lot.. how to prevent from showing err..*too much*, :confused:
    Wear a bra and coloured t-shirts?
    1. ideal length of shorts, how short is too short?
    Depending on whether it hinder you movement but most of the pros wear rather short anyway.
    1. sleeveless shirt?
    No complaints. ;)
    1. how would u wear your hair, (in whatever length)
    Basically, it should not hinder your eyesight as you will look up and down a lot during games and becoming a 15-point Sadako could be quite uncomfortable. Tie them to the back or pin it. Keep hairs off the eyes and face.
    1. would u put on minimum amount of make-up; colored lip-balm-(i see before k!!)? :rolleyes:
    You see, guys, during games, won't really check out the girls, most especially when it's a hotly contested point where attack and defense interchange for a long time.

It'll probably work better if you walk sexily past them after the game - and keep an ear out to listen if their conversation suddenly slowed or stopped.

Oh, sexy lips can be in any shade.. hoho ;)
    1. would you change your soaking-sweat-wet sports attire despite the inconvenience facility provided?
    No problems with guys but I do think this is a good question. If you're uncomfortable, change at home - otherwise it may not be too good of an idea.
    1. do u feel shy when male players just take off their shirt in -front of you as if they are your grandfather, ? :rolleyes:
    Depending on your reason for being at the court, really. Of course it's a good place to chat up that hot hunk with those six packs but it's a normal thing for guys.
    1. how would u react towards those VERY veli chauvinistic male partners while playing?
    Boosting his ego is an important thing.
    Then you let him fall with a thump. ;)

4. cendolabc

cendolabc Regular Member

1)u actually have female players who DON'T wear bra while playing? wow :D , lucky YOU..., colored t-shirts don't really do much help for me, coz i really sweat a lot and my shirt would stick to my body. i wear sports-bra.. and er.. omg!! this discussion was meant for ladies!!!:eek:
    2) eskew me hor,, have u read the survey that most women dress up for themselves?? duh ? :rolleyes:
    3) wei.. women don't go to badm. courts to check out guys k... :rolleyes:
    sheesh... see? ANOTHER male chauvinist... thinks that women lives revolves around men ...

WHERE ARE MY BADM.SISTAs!!! :crying:

5. cendolabc

cendolabc Regular Member

closure

seeing that this thread is going to die a natural death..
    this might be my last 'closing' post.
    sigh..
    i guess there aren't many female badm.players cum forum contributors..
    or maybe.. er.. they just don't like me.. :crying:

anyway, sigh...
    through my observation in the badm.courts, the female players i see weekly; do lack the sportsmenship spirit.

Please, i'm not making a general statement, im just saying that the female players i encounter during my regular games; they... seem to sit around more than actually play.
    and it's so so so hard to get them to get up and join me for friendly games with other female players...
    :confused: ... i always wonder.. why come if your intention is to refrain from getting tired or actually SWEAT...?
    ppl,, male or female,,, please .. EDUCATE me.

6. Snowy21

Snowy21 Regular Member

Sorry to dash your dreams, but another guy :p I don't think there are that many females on this forum.

Then again, I play mixed doubles so... maybe that gives me some sort of say here :p

Haha none of the girls I see have this problem... I don't know... they just all wear white shirts and it seems to work... Then again... maybe it's because the girls I play with (I'm in high school so it's not that competitive) don't sweat that much when they play... (my partner(s) make me do most of the running =/)
    1. ideal length of shorts, how short is too short?
    Well this is up to you :p Your personal preference on what is appropriate... most of the girls I see though seem to wear shorts about halfway between their hip and their knee
    1. sleeveless shirt?
    Well... again... your idea of what's appropriate. I don't know why you would :p I don't think it'd help, but whatever floats your boat. None of the girls I play with seem to though...
    1. how would u wear your hair, (in whatever length)
    They always tie it in a ponytail or put it up...
    1. would u put on minimum amount of make-up; colored lip-balm-(i see before k!!)? :rolleyes:
    Well the girls I'm friends with/play with don't even wear that much makeup normally... so... hard for me to say :p I guess they don't wear any more/less than normal but... yeah
    1. would you change your soaking-sweat-wet sports attire despite the inconvenience facility provided?
    No idea what you mean :p
    1. do u feel shy when male players just take off their shirt in -front of you as if they are your grandfather, ? :rolleyes:
    Lol can't comment on this, I don't take my shirt off in front of girls though so...
    1. how would u react towards those VERY veli chauvinistic male partners while playing?
    Haha, again, can't comment. I don't do this though... I think.

7. Derek S-H

Derek S-H Regular Member

Care Worker
    How interesting....

Hi
    Yes, I'm a guy, but I thought I'd chip in with my own thoughts. Hopefully, you'll get to read them before you give up on this thread.
    I noticed that ALL your questions (bar one) was about how you appeared on court i.e. your presentation. This, unfortunately, seems to tie in with the stereotype of female passivity which, I think, is a construction of nuture, not nature.
    You didn't ask any questions regarding your technique, or the game itself! Badminton is an active sport - you will get hot, sweaty, flustered, unkempt, and not be a picture of elegant femininity, that's the whole point! It can be because some female players seem to focus so hard on being feminine and dainty and delicate that causes some ridiculous reactionary men to treat them so badly!
    I really hope that I don't cause any offence with what I've said, but honestly, the best thing you could ever do to gain respect from your fellow players is focus on your game, not on your clothes, hair, and makeup.They are peripherals and relatively unimportant, you are there to compete and participate, not model.
    Besides, I've always found women who really throw themselves into activity really attractive, now matter how sweaty they end up.
    Please feel free to ignore everything I've said as only you can decide what's right for you.
    Good luck and Best Wishes
    Derek

#7 Derek S-H, Apr 22, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  8. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Another guy here. I play with a fair number of recreational female players. I would say all, if not most, of them would rather not talk about badminton off the court. I did try to engage some of them with short discussion of tactics on the court. I found there were little interest and quickly gave up. The most recent chat I had with a girl in a badminton hall was about dry skins and moisturisers. She brought up the subject, and I did my best to keep up as I knew absolutely nothing about moisturisers. :)

I can answer your questions base on my observation of the female players I came in contact with.

They generally wore presentable casual clothes. Most didn't sweat much. For the few that did, it wasn't aparent to me the sweat revealed anything. I can only imagine girls innately knew precisely how not to reveal things they don't want revealed.

Majority wore long trousers. Some wore mid-calved length trousers. Although some older ladies of 60-70 years old wore very short skirts and whatever that went with those. Subconsciously I may have considered what they wore were too short. But I just though it was the fashion of their younger years, and didn't pay them too much attention. I think shorts of any length on younger women with nice legs would probably cause some distration for the men. But don't let that deter you from wearing shorts.

Never saw a woman wearing sleeveless shirt on the court.

All frequent players either had short hair or had their long hair tied up. The ones with neck/shoulder length hair usually leave their hair as normal.

Women generally came on court with varying degree of makeup. Some with more and some with less. The best made up ones were good enough for a job interview. The worst made up ones had none.

I don't think any of the women I played with changed their clothes between games. If they did, they must have done it so discretely that I didn't notice. Alhough there is a guy in one of my clubs that changed his clothes after every game. He didn't do it because of the sweat. He used the badminton court as a cat walk :)

The men I played with do that sometimes. There were no noticeable reaction from the women.

Some men are just dogs whether they are with male or female partners. The best strategy is to deliberately lose the game as quickly as possible to drive them up the wall. Then you can go find someone better to play with.

#8 CoolDoo6, Apr 22, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  9. cendolabc

cendolabc Regular Member

not even ONE

my last post.
    thanks guys.
    really disappointed that not even one female bothered to post anything.
    i started the exact same thread under my country's page,
    and nothing..
    i guess it's time for me to draw the curtain. :eek:
    thanks for ur two cents worth anyway.
    ciao

10. Kizmit

Kizmit New Member

Hi Cendolabc I am female:D . Cant believe you've had no reply from a 'female', anyway I have been lurking on these boards for months and having read your post have now registered!!!!

The comments from the 'guys' have made me laugh!!! I am very competitive, play 2 win, and am not feminine or dainty on court!!! I have also been known to talk tactics off court!!! some women give us a bad name!

I read another of your posts and u seem quite new to badminton so here are my comments,
    clothing - I feel most comfortable in yonex skirts which have the shorts attached, they r comfortable and u dont show anything!!!! I dont have a problem with sweaty tops but my friends that do tend 2 wear white badminton tops. None of us like the sleeveless shirts.

As 4 make-up, dont bother, just wear what is left at end of the day!!! and hair is always in ponytail. In my experience mascara and eyeliner can run down a sweaty face and when its red its not a good look!!!!

Guys changing tops doesnt bother me, u can always turn away, a guy at my club changes into his jeans in front of us all, quite funny really!!! not much to look at!!

As 4 chauvinistic male players, well they dont bother me I just ignore them!! but I get annoyed when they huff and puff behind inexperienced women, then these women lose their confidence and play badly all night - not good sportsmanship, I tend to find that these men cant play 'proper' mixed anyway!!! so blame the lady lol.;)
    Also at club nite, I find, that all men play mixed differently, some want u stuck at the front all the time, some expect u 2 drop back and help, and some like sides!!!?? not easy. :confused:

I agree with your comment about other lady players. They do tend 2 have a gossip and when u play ladies doubles with them, they just dont seem very competitive. I'd rather play with the men!! sad but true? why I dont know cause I love a good ladies game. U need 2 find a club with like minded ladies!

Hope I've helped - us females need to stick together:D

11. cendolabc

cendolabc Regular Member

hey!! im so so happy!!
    will send u a private msg soon.
    it's really great to hear frm a baddie sis!!

12. Derek S-H

Derek S-H Regular Member

Care Worker
    Kizmit
    If ever you're in Brighton then drop by and say hello, as all the decent female players down here seem to play for just one club!
    Best Wishes
    Derek

13. cendolabc

cendolabc Regular Member

U know, i 'reprimanded' from those badm.players/veterans from my court last Tuesday.
    I was chided for not being serious and not focussing on the game.
    They were right. :rolleyes:
    i hate it when they are right..
    ah.. so much to learn... :p

14. atimtam

atimtam Regular Member

student
    warning: newbie alert...hehehe

spent a whole day on this before i signed on. unbelievable at how few females there are!! probably all out shopping or something =S it seriously is an unfairly dominated mens' sport.

rightio, intros. still in school, playing [more like hitting] with sis n parents since i was 8, over junior, nearly intermediate[?], on school team.

get this: our girl school gets training once a week and only ONE interschool tournament per year and training is only for two terms. whereas our brother school [with the same coach but different supervising teachers], gets two official trainings a week plus baddie club, and also fixtures once a week. talk about unfair.:( though, it might be because we're in aus and baddie isn't very popular down under...

onto the questions...
    clothing: if you're a tad...voluptuous...i think you need to find some support in the bra section =S. hehe. usually loose fitting cotton for me. sweat not really a problem, agree on the coloured shirts idea. i always wear shorts, from tennis [i've quit already] or normal sport shorts. don't think length is an issue, might be considered a bit short but who cares? never seen anyone playing baddie with sleeveless shirts. though, might be a good idea...scare away people with the stink...:p
    hair: always in pony tail with plait [got long hair you see]. use bobby pins for fringe. not the best in fashion choices but who cares.
    make-up: never touched the stuff. only thing i use is lipbalm. you don't hafta look great on court anyway. i can only imagine sweating under makeup...and getting caked with foundation and runny mascara. *shudders*
    facilities: facilities provided are fine. no problem with changing around here...
    topless: i personally think it's very unfair that females must deal with having an extra body part to hide. the males get it all =/. don't really care about topless guys, i think they only do it to show off anyway
    males: they're guys. what more is there to say?:rolleyes:

give me a shout if there's any aussie females around.

sorry, i think i rambled a bit much for my first post. but that's just me =/

hope there's some more response :)