fast and slow drops

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by setaa, Apr 20, 2006.

1. setaa

setaa Regular Member

i know i've read this before but cant seem to find it..
    given i hit the birdie from the baseline:
    - when i swing my racket pretty fast + slicing the birdie, it goes over the front service line even though the birdie is relatively low when it passes over the net quickly
    - when i swing my racket lightly + gentle touch on the birdie, it goes pretty darn close to the net when it drops slowly

i know i should incorporate the two for different situations, but my mind is usually stuffed with what to do now, shot placement and enemy's position.. there's barely enough room to differentiate the 2 drops in singles

what to do? :confused:

2. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    Hit fast drops most of the time,and mix in slower drops

3. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

Both are good, Fast drops cuts the time for the oppenent to react but if they get there or anticipated the shot then they have a wide range of shots they attack back with. Clear, drop, drive or maybe even a smash.

The slower drops are very close to the net so its hard to drive those and sometimes if the bird is already too low, its impossible to clear it far which only leaves dropping, they have to do a net shot to receive your drop shot. big advantage for you there.

Oh btw you can do a better slow drop shot if you slice it. The angle of the drop is much better and its a bit faster but still close to the net.

4. setaa

setaa Regular Member

but like i said.. for now it's pretty hard for me to think of so many things during the game.. not enough expreience i guess
    thanks though :)

120 views and 1 reply.. o well

EDIT: make it 2 :D thanks kenji.. slow drop + slice sounds good.. gotta practice it

5. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

Oh one more thing. You said you do your slow/close-to-bet drops with a slow swing, it is better if you try to fake it with a normal smash looking swing so it can mask the entrie drop. Start to slow down at bird contact so to drop is still performed but dont ever use a slow arm motion while dropping coz most players can tell its going to be a drop. Slicing the bird helps here since you can slice quickly and still drop close to the net.

6. Darma Sucipto

Darma Sucipto Regular Member

each opponent has a different styles of game. during the game, try and use both fast and slow drops. maybe your slow dropshot is more effective to some opponent or your fast drop is more effective to other opponent also.

7. setaa

setaa Regular Member

ok :) thanks alot