poor overhead clears help pls......

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by green_seeds, Apr 22, 2006.

1. green_seeds

green_seeds Regular Member

hi ppl,

i got this long time problem with overhead clears i cannot seem to clear my shots back to my oppenent's baseline from my own baseline.:confused: ...and this allows them to hav time to do anything with that shot either a smash or a dropshot...then its when i found out that when doing a overhead clear yr body weight has to be on yr racket foot so as to generate to power isnt ? apparently i found out that i hav been putting my weight on my right foot instead of my left foot (racket foot) thus genrating insufficent power ? or is it due to the weight to my racket 2u? i find it slightly heavy muscle power 22...i strung it using bg 65 at lbs 23

pls help thanks alot guys and have a nice day :)

2. green_seeds

green_seeds Regular Member

ohh ya forget to add that i am a beginner to intemdiate player i think...and ard 1.73m

3. BadGone

BadGone Regular Member

Hi there,

You could try a more flexible raquet (MP66) with a long shaft.
    Then again, it's the technique of the clears which matters most : body rotation, elbow high, pronation of arm, moving into the bird....

Think you'll find much info on this in you search the forum

Cheers

4. setaa

setaa Regular Member

yap, i fixed all my broken technique last thursday and boy did i clear :D
    all i had to do was do: elbow up, 90 degree or so, full swing, pronate all the way == effortless bang to the baseline
    make sure ur technique is ok

5. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    I play with a yonex nanospeed 9000 with bg 65 strung at 23lb---should be ok to clear to the oppenents baseline. Just get a friend to work on your clears or/and work out more for more power in the clear shot. btw i don't like this string lol too low of a tension and loses tension fast.

6. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    u might want to remind yourself to hit it at a higher spot, with the racket's sweet spot

7. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Another thing I often is see are people who overpower the swing. What I mean by this is that more power does not mean that the bird will go farther. You have to be able to use that power while hitting the bird effectively for it to work. One way to train this is to start small and work up. Have a partner clear some birds to you and start hitting them back to the service line until that feels completely comfortable then build up. Assuming that the begining form is correct, this helps to build a strong base and a good understanding of the stroke. It also helps to add that "feel" of the court in relation to how you hit it. Hope that helps.

8. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    Indeed. Overexerting yourself may mean a higher chance to screw up the shot and hit it really short, as I used to do so much when first starting to play. Also, don't face directly forward for the clear, but turn your body sideways, with head facing the birdie (wherever it is). Furthermore, if the birdie is DIRECTLY over your head, I find it more difficult to clear (have to do clearing equivalent of over the head smash, doesn't work 100%), but rather have the birdie slightly to your right (if right-handed), or to your left (if left-handed), but not ABOVE (even if you're ambidextrous:p). Try to stay calm (as always the case during badminton, except perhaps the moment right before you smash, drives, and the bounce of your legs right before smash defense).

9. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

For the regular-swing forehand clear, it's a matter of technique. You can watch 12 year girls in interschool tournaments performing full length clears.

But for short-swing / minimal swing forehand clear, strength does play a part (which is why you see many younger players needing to perform full swings to clear... they have the technique but not the strength yet).

Your MP21 racquet has a flexible shaft, so if you hit it with right technique, the shuttle will probably fly way out of court.

Anyway, it's good that you are concerned with body-weight/balance etc... it will help you in smashing as well... I still haven't learnt how to transfer bodyweight effectively into my shots :)