User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jug8man
    Dear Loh,

Thank you for your detailed description on the food groups. Many of us including yours trully will find these info very usefull. It may not be new to all of us, but it sure is reassuring to hear something that sounds right based on our own readings.

cheers
    You're most welcome!

However, do bear in mind that each athlete is different and he/she may like certain foods that can give more or less the same combination balance. It is OK but make sure enough of esp carbo and liquids are taken before, during and after training or competitions. And ensure that sufficient in-between rest for the athlete in order not to expedite fatigue and cause injury eg. LCW's recent back injury because of overtraining. Also at least two hours needed in between eating and time of training/competition, more time if food is not easily digestible or if athlete has to eat plenty (voracious appetite).

In competitions, when the player may have to wait his turn and this could take more than an hour, do ensure that the player gets to eat something easily digestible, eg banana, sports bar (of sweet stuff like chocolate), sports drink, etc, in between. Adequate liquid consumption is very important to prevent dehydration which will impact adversely on performance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh
    I wonder whether your sort of routine of fast repetitions at quite heavy weights as well as Eurasian's will give you bulging muscles instead, more of the boldy-building kind? If so, will this help or hamper your badminton playing abilities?
    Keep in mind that the weight might seem high, but as a pecentage of my maximum, it is rather low. The 45lbs represents about 20% of my max. I find that their is balance between cardio and weight training as too big of muscle can be hampering, specfically in shoulders and back ( if you do a lot of over the head)

I don't suggest this type of weght training for everyone, especially ont he upper body, but I'm not a badminton only perosn anymore and weight lift as part of an overall fitness regime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jug8man
    Eiszmed
    These two sentences contradict one another.

Eurasion
    Keep up the good work & listen to your Coach. He should know what's good for you.
    Hi jug8man,

Sorry didn't get you. Please enlighten me on how the following two setences contradict one another....

Try doing these strengthening exercises after badminton training, before stretching / flexibility.

Sports science is the new way to train smart and prevent unnecessary injury

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xkenji
    Yes like Jugman said, they do contridict eachother and umm wouldnt you have stretched already before the badminton training??
    Hi xkenji,

Yes, it is vital to stretch BEFORE training to prevent injury.

However, it is important also to warm-down after training. Many atheletes these days incorporate stretching into warm down. So they STRETCH AFTERWARDS too.

Sorry didn't make it clear. The streching I was talking about is the set you do AFTER training.

Traditionally, warm-down was thought to dissipate the lactic acid from anaerobic metabolism. I donno.. it's been a while since went to medschool, views may have changed or gone out of fashion.

But the stretching afterward thing was forced upon me by a coach who coached at Singapore Sports School (Kelly Wee).. quite good.

Hehe.. personally, I try to stretch as much as i can, before training, between games, after games, after getting up, before bed etc... to loosen up the muscles...to minimize injury.

Last edited by eizmed; 04-24-2006 at 10:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eizmed
    Hi xkenji,

Yes, it is vital to stretch BEFORE training to prevent injury.

However, it is important also to warm-down after training. Many atheletes these days incorporate stretching into warm down. So they STRETCH AFTERWARDS too.

Sorry didn't make it clear. The streching I was talking about is the set you do AFTER training.

Traditionally, warm-down was thought to dissipate the lactic acid from anaerobic metabolism. I donno.. it's been a while since went to medschool, views may have changed or gone out of fashion.

But the stretching afterward thing was forced upon me by a coach who coached at Singapore Sports School (Kelly Wee).. quite good.

Hehe.. personally, I try to stretch as much as i can, before training, between games, after games, after getting up, before bed etc... to loosen up the muscles...to minimize injury.

I stretch before training as well. I feel it helps my arm and legs loosen up. I've been having shoulder problems that can radiate pain throughout my arm for a year or so. I started getting active release therapy from my chiro on it and its rapidly improving. The reason I didn't seek treatment earlier was b/c my coach said that in indonesia they just keep pushing... they get massages whenever they want too tho

Also to the previous post about bulging muscles, I dont think I have to worry about it. I can really tone my upper body and legs but unless I drastically change my workout and diet there is no way I can get 'huge', even with heavy weights. I just dont eat enough and my body just isn't built that way. However when I retire from badminton (whenever that may be) I'm going to try to get huge for the look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ploppers
    Sounds a lot like plyometrics for your legs. Wow, snow in April is unreal!!
    I wouldn't say so. Plyometrics are for developing your reactive strength, which is mostly an adaptation of your nervous system. It would not be recommended to do plyometrics while in a state of fatigue.

This workout seems to be geared towards metabolic work/lactic acid tolerance, so it should help develop your muscular endurance. Strength and hypertrophy gains are probably not going to happen with this type of loading though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eizmed
    Hi jug8man,

Sorry didn't get you. Please enlighten me on how the following two setences contradict one another....

Try doing these strengthening exercises after badminton training, before stretching / flexibility.

Sports science is the new way to train smart and prevent unnecessary injury
    Dear Eizmed,

Sorry about that. I have a notorious history of not making things perfectly clear.

these strengthening exercises are referring to Eurasion's 'to the point of puking weight training'.

Personally I would never advise anybody to do this kind of straineous weight training after rigorous Badminton training. As injuries would be much more likely to happen.
    So, that would not be be Sports Science like. Hence the contradiction.

Understanding of your body's potential & limitations, rather than push & hope your body can take it'.

The Borneon BaddyNut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stumblingfeet
    IB] It would not be recommended to do plyometrics while in a state of fatigue.[/B]
    I couldn't have said it any better ! You Da Man!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2