Tough weight training

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Eurasian =--(O), Apr 22, 2006.

1. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

I just did the toughest weight training ever. I believe it was so difficult to me b/c naturally i am very quick/fast/bouncy but my endurance is naturally poor. My coach used to do it in Indonesia. Basically you do weights but do 40 reps of each weight then 30. I would use about 60% of my max weight, but this is only the first time i've done the whole circuit. The point of doing these weights is to do them quickly as if you were working on footwork. I have never felt like puking after weights before... this is what I did:

40 reps, 30 reps half squat

40, 30 calf raises

40, 30 inclined squats

40, 30 leg extension

Do all of these excercises quickly. The burning i felt was unreal, also the workout only takes 20-30 minutes including warm up!

If you are naturally more fast twich fibers this workout will make you feel it!
    I was planning on doing 400m sprints today but there was snow on the ground. This IMO is harder and the natural high lags for 30-45 min afterwards!

2. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Sounds a lot like plyometrics for your legs. Wow, snow in April is unreal!!

3. Taijis

Taijis Regular Member

I dont get it can you explain those weight training techniques? do we do our max weight? Where did you find out about this weight trainign?

4. eizmed

eizmed Regular Member

Doctor
    Sounds great !

Try doing these strengthening exercises after badminton training, before stretching / flexibility.

Although you may lose some power after badminton training, it's may be better then the other way round.

Make sure you have good protein intake afterwards too.

I bet after your weight training and muscle recovery, you felt faster and stronger.

Sports science is the new way to train smart and prevent unnecessary injury

:)

5. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Eiszmed
    These two sentences contradict one another.

Eurasion
    Keep up the good work & listen to your Coach. He should know what's good for you.

6. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

Yes like Jugman said, they do contridict eachother and umm wouldnt you have stretched already before the badminton training??

7. Eurasian =--(O)

I've done lots of weight training before but in the 8-12 reps 3 sets... nothing compared to this. nothing at all

8. Eurasian =--(O)

Both are answered in the original post. Use 60-70% max weight and the person who told me about this is my coach from indonesia, former #1 in the world MS.

It is somewhat like plyos but different burning sensation

9. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Yeah Eurasion, make sure after a workout like this you get sufficent amount of protein. About 30g is necessary.

To explain really simply, after a workout, your body turns canabalistic. It's hungry for protein, and you have only about 20 minutes to feed it some. After that, it'll extract protein from your muscles which can lead to muscle tearing, and on top of that, your muscles won't grow.

10. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Welcome to the wrold of "super sets".

I can't due as many with the legs given my knee problems, but every third workout I'll due supersets on various body parts

For example on bench press:

3 sets of 50 at 45lb
    3 sets of 35 at 65lb
    3 sets of 20 at 95 lb
    3 sets of 10 at 135 lbs

Do all of these as fast as I can.

With something like biceps I'll do a couple sets of 40-50 reps with light weight (say 35 lbs with the e-z curl bar) - switching up my grip every ten reps.

it's good for shocking the muscle groups.

11. Eurasian =--(O)

I know the basics about anabolic and metabolic processes. I've read tons of material on it. Sports nutrition and body building is almost like a hobby of mine even if I dont strictly follow. One question tho. After a workout will your body find fat to burn? Or will it just deconstruct muscle? Assuming you are depleted of carbs.

12. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Well fat is when you have excess protein, it will be stored as fat for you to use as energy and burn off later. I don't think it works that way though, if you don't have protein, I doubt your body would just burn off the excess fat. Besides, with workouts like yours, I doubt you need to worry about burning off excess fat ;)

13. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

I thought Fat is from excess carbs which are more likely to be stored?
    My understanding is that excess protein is 'pissed' out of the system.

Hence stuff like Atkins diet being practiced

14. PandaLord

PandaLord Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, as far as my bio knowledge goes, excess protein is either pissed out after being degenerated into urea or stored as glycogen (not to be confused with fat). Correct me if im wrong.

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I wonder whether your sort of routine of fast repetitions at quite heavy weights as well as Eurasian's will give you bulging muscles instead, more of the boldy-building kind? If so, will this help or hamper your badminton playing abilities? :confused:

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Nuitrition Balanace

My understanding too that carbohydrate gives energy and unused carbo are stored as fat, which can be called upon to provide energy when necessary.

Protein helps in developing and repairing muscles.

So what should be an athlete's balanced diet?

Carefully planned nutrition must provide an energy and nutrient balance. The nutrients are:

Proteins - essential to growth and repair of muscle and other body tissues

Fats - one source of energy and important in relation to fat soluble vitamins

Carbohydrates - our main source of energy

Minerals - those inorganic elements occurring in the body and which are critical to its normal functions

Vitamins - water and fat soluble vitamins play important roles in many chemical processes in the body

Water - essential to normal body function - as a vehicle for carrying other nutrients and because 60% of the human body is water

Roughage - the fibrous indigestible portion of our diet essential to health of the digestive system

Your daily energy requirements

Personal energy requirement=basic energy requirements + extra energy requirements:

Basic energy requirements

For every Kg of body weight approximately 1.3 kcal is required every hour. (An athlete weighing 50Kg would require 1.3 x 24hrs x 50Kg=1560 kcal/day)

Extra energy requirements

For each hour's training you require approximately 8.5 kcal for each Kg of body weight. (For a two hour training session our 50Kg athlete would require 8.5 x 2hrs x 50Kg=850 kcal)

An athlete weighing 50Kg, who trains for two hours, would require an intake of approximately 2410 kcal (1560 + 850)

Energy Fuel

Like fuel for a car the energy we need has to be blended. The blend that we require is approximately as follows:

57% Carbohydrates (sugar, sweets, bread, cakes, rice, noodles, pasta)
    30% Fats (dairy products, oil)
    13% Protein (eggs, milk, meat, poultry, fish)

The energy yield per gram of carbohydrate, fat and protein is as follows:

Carbohydrate - 4 kcal
    Fat - 9 kcal
    Protein - 4 kcal.

So what does our 50-kg athlete require in terms of carbohydrates, fats and protein?

Carbohydrates
    - 57% of 2410=1374 kcal - at 4 kcal per gram=1374 / 4=343 grams

Fats - 30% of 2410=723 kcal - at 9 kcal per gram=723 / 9=80 grams

Protein - 13% of 2410=313 kcal - at 4 kcal per gram=313 / 4=78 grams

Our 50kg athlete requires: 343 grams of Carbohydrates, 80 grams of Fat and 78 grams of Protein

#16 Loh, Apr 24, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  17. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

Dear Loh,

Thank you for your detailed description on the food groups. Many of us including yours trully will find these info very usefull. It may not be new to all of us, but it sure is reassuring to hear something that sounds right based on our own readings.

cheers

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    You're most welcome! :)

However, do bear in mind that each athlete is different and he/she may like certain foods that can give more or less the same combination balance. It is OK but make sure enough of esp carbo and liquids are taken before, during and after training or competitions. And ensure that sufficient in-between rest for the athlete in order not to expedite fatigue and cause injury eg. LCW's recent back injury because of overtraining. Also at least two hours needed in between eating and time of training/competition, more time if food is not easily digestible or if athlete has to eat plenty (voracious appetite).

In competitions, when the player may have to wait his turn and this could take more than an hour, do ensure that the player gets to eat something easily digestible, eg banana, sports bar (of sweet stuff like chocolate), sports drink, etc, in between. Adequate liquid consumption is very important to prevent dehydration which will impact adversely on performance. :D

19. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Keep in mind that the weight might seem high, but as a pecentage of my maximum, it is rather low. The 45lbs represents about 20% of my max. I find that their is balance between cardio and weight training as too big of muscle can be hampering, specfically in shoulders and back ( if you do a lot of over the head)

I don't suggest this type of weght training for everyone, especially ont he upper body, but I'm not a badminton only perosn anymore and weight lift as part of an overall fitness regime.

20. eizmed

eizmed Regular Member

Doctor
    Hi jug8man,

Sorry didn't get you. Please enlighten me on how the following two setences contradict one another.... :)

Try doing these strengthening exercises after badminton training, before stretching / flexibility.

Sports science is the new way to train smart and prevent unnecessary injury