Build-up to Thomas Cup Finals: Injuries are Wan Wah’s main concern

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2006' started by ants, Apr 23, 2006.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    NST
    24 Apr 2006
    LEE Wan Wah's goal for the Thomas Cup is simple. Stay away from injuries.

Performance is something Wan Wah, 31, and his partner Choong Tan Fook are not worried about as they can beat the best but the former's agony of missing tournaments regularly due to injuries is of prime concern.

Wan Wah, who stands at six feet two inches, underwent surgery to his right knee for a second time in November 2004, and was subsequently sidelined twice since December last year.

Wan Wah-Tan Fook helped Malaysia to win the Sea Games team gold medal in Manila in December but was then forced to withdraw from the individual event because his knee was acting up.

Things looked bright after the pair finished runners-up in the All-England Championships in January but strains to his back and knee again kept him away from the Thomas Cup qualifying round in Jaipur, India in February and the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne last month.

Wan Wah said on Tuesday he was feeling much stronger after winning the recent Asian Championships in Johor Baru and hopes not to be disappointed in Japan.

"Tan Fook and I have a realistic chance of playing in the Thomas Cup Finals for the third time. I am optimistic there won't be any injuries to bother me," said Wan Wah.

"China are the favourites while Malaysia, Indonesia, Denmark and South Korea all start on equal terms and any one can reach the final.

"As the second doubles, we want to give the team a strong backing."

Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat will have a tough time as the first doubles and this is where Wan Wah-Tan Fook's role in the team is crucial.