Why not Gunawan-Mainaky for Olympics?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by ye333, Apr 24, 2006.

1. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I just watched some 2000 Thomas cup video. Tony Gunawan and Rexy Mainaky is the first double for Indo. They are really amazing. Both are fast, powerful, agile, and much more importantly, BOTH are CONSISTENTLY sharp and accurate. They demolished Paaske-Hansen while Candra-Sigit lost to Ericksen-Larsen in three games.

Now my questions:

1. Why not Ricky-Rexy but Tony-Rexy for first doubles?
    2. Why not Tony-Rexy for the Olympic? I really believe Tony-Rexy would get the gold medal easier than Tony-Candra.

Anyone knows? Thanks!

2. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    Interesting

I've never heard of this combo...wish I could see this...but last match I saw of rexy/ricky, they were literally destroyed by sigit/wajaya...I'll take gunawan and wajaya...no offense

3. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

I think Ricky was not feeling well or something, IIRC, at that time. So, the coaching staff took a gamble and fielded a "scratch" pairing of Tony and Rexy. (I love Gil Clark's comment, "Well, if you want to call them a scratch pairing. They happen to be the two best doubles players, ever.")

Ricky's still part of the team sitting in the audience, in the players' section.

As for the Olympics, IMHO it's a matter of what worked out in training. Rexy may have been winding down his playing days at the time while Tony's still peaking. Similarly when Tony/Candra split up after the Olympics. They were the best pair in the world and yet they went their separate ways. Pretty much everybody was baffled by their decision. But, apparently Tony/Halim were destroying the other pairs in training. Hence their decision to renew their partnership.

I'm talking as if I know a thing or two about top-level badminton. I can assure you I don't. Not a clue. :)

4. iso300

iso300 Regular Member

If Tony/Rexy were a scratch pair then how did they ended up playing 1st doubles? I don't think played in any other tournaments together to accumulate points.

I thought the pair with the higher points will go in as #1. Or did Sigit happen to just come back from serving his suspension and therefore the Sigit/Chandra partnership also lacked points. ??

Thanks!

5. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    ricky/rexy is the 96 olympic champion

ricky was injured, when tony was paired with rexy

6. ricksakti

ricksakti Regular Member

Surgeon
    Pbsi

Maybe PBSI like to shuffle players, like ipod shuffle. Experimenting and wishing to obtain miracle combination. Just like olympics 2004, they split Candra/sigit hoping that one of them or maybe both can get any medal. But in fact none at all...

7. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    care to share that video?

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Tony/Rexy should have played a couple of tournaments together. They did win the ABC that year which was before the Thomas Cup.

9. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!

just like ipod shuffle...:)