Need advice about Yonex NS7000

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ecsjgre, Apr 25, 2006.

1. ecsjgre

ecsjgre Regular Member

I just bought a Yonex nanospeed 7000 in Bangkok and had it strung back home in Sweden with BG65TI. After having played with racket, I am very disappointed with it. For me it is useable for doubles play (not great), but it does not fit me at all for singles play.

It is very easy to move the racket in doubles play and it is good for controlled drop or net shots. But for smashes and clears, you need to put a lot of extra power in compared to my Prince Triple Treat and Yonex MP88 clone. It is not very forgiving, so you have to hit the sweetspot very exactly to get you clears right.

If I loosen the strings, do you think I can change the playability to the better? Or do I simply bite the bullet and sell it?

Thanks
    Jens

2. Josh²

Josh² Regular Member

Student
    Well, to me. I take it as a challenge when I encounter rackets like that. It makes me train to get the sweetspot all the time. And that will benefit me in using different kinds of rackets. I don't suggest you sell it though. But train to the racket and be adaptable to it. Soon enough you'll see yourself hitting the sweetspot more often and becoming a better player. :) Nevertheless, lowering the tension would be a good idea if you're a beginner. Maybe 22lbs. And btw, I've seen with my own eyes an ex-national Malaysian player using the NS7000. And it works PERFECTLY FINE in his hands.

Conclusion, yes racket play a part in your game and the overall feel etc. Concentrate on your techique and stroke. Focus more and you'll do fine with the sweet spot and the racket. It's new anyway, you can't straight away adapt to a new racket just like that if you're not giving it time. Make sense?? ;P

Cheers

3. iso300

iso300 Regular Member

What is the tension of your current strings?

It's definitely suited more for doubles than singles.

Mine is strung with BG-65 at 21lbs. A few players from my club have used it and still got big smashes from it.

4. robina1

robina1 Regular Member

Student =D
    Hey, I own a NS7000. I bought it right after it came out, and after i bought it, i realized that my racket type, isnt a headlight racket type. but it was a 150 dollar racket at the time, and i couldnt just say i needed a new one to my parents, so i kinda hung on to it and played around with it. the NS7000 is not a very good beginers racket. Since it is light, it tended to give me the ability to shorten my swing, and this caused the racket to swing faster, but not hit the birdy with much power. It took me a really long time to get used to, close to a year. I didnt play regularly, off season though. But once I got used to it, I just ordered my mp99. When it was shipping was about the time i started to love this racket. If you take your time with the shots, this racket can be used to hit extremely acurately to anywhere on the court, and with extreme power. I have this racket strung with Ashaway powergut 66 at 23lbs. This racket took a very long time to get used to, however once you do, it can do you wonders. PS. the mp99 is also extremely good, but i think you may have heard that one already it took me not longer than a week to get used to. So, in conclusion, i believe that you should keep the racket and try to get used to it, since it is a very hard racket to get used to, and I would not recommend this racket to beginers, because it gives them an opportunity to get lazy.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    NS7k is stiff and head light, therefore, the clear and smash do require a bit more effort. You metioned that you got it strung in TH (warmer) and brought it back to SW (colder), the tension might went even higher. Therefore, re-strung it with lower tension, and/or with more rep. string (i.e. BG80/85) might help. ;)

6. foo.tw

foo.tw Regular Member

I won't consider NS7000 at all since there's NS9000S. They are quite similar except ns9000S got asskicking power and larger sweatspot.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, it depends on different individuals. I know quite a few locals prefer NS7k way over NS9K (or anything else so far). NS7k serves them well. ;)

8. ecsjgre

ecsjgre Regular Member

Tension

Well, I'm not sure of the tension. I handed it in to my local pro shop back in Sweden. However, a few weeks befoer they also restrung my Prince Warrior racket and I get tremendous power from that. Both have good tension, but the nanospeed is restrung a noticeable higher tension.

I have decided to give the racket a try during practice for one month or so. If it does not work, I will have it restrung at a lower tension.

9. F-Man

F-Man Regular Member

Student
    The general trend seems to be that most people require a certain adjustment period when they switch to the Nanospeed series. I have played with all of them and currently play with 6 x NS8000s 2U at 30~31lbs.

In my opinion, I don't think the string tension is as big a factor as it has played out to be so far albeit it does make a difference. I feel that getting adjusted to the timing of the racket is the most problematic part.

Yes, it is true that with this series, you need to use more of your wrist to produce that "extra" bit of power. However, this "extra" bit is not as dramatic as people imagine it to be. With good timing and proper technique, the power is still good when you swing normally as with any other racket.

Most players in this forum will know that other than playing slices, most shots are struck with a square racket face. Many others along with myself are of the opinion that the head-lightness of the Nanospeed series makes it a little bit more difficult to do so. In other words, it highlights an error in your game.

Once this has been corrected then your Nanospeed racket ought to feel completely different. That was certainly the case with me. Keep on persisting. The NS7000 is a good racket with its own unique qualities. You can definitely play well with it!

10. ecsjgre

ecsjgre Regular Member

new strings and tension

I finally gave up and asked my pro shop to restring the racket to 20lbs. Today I tested it at training, but honestly I could NOT feel that big a difference compared to the previous tension 24-25lbs (I guess).

F-Man / Josh 2: I will take you advice and work on my timing. In fact the other day our coach said I had a tendency to slice my smashes at times and told me to work on squaring the racket. I did that and my smashes were much harder.

Thanks for all your feedback
    / Jens

11. Jan_BE

Jan_BE Regular Member

IT Support Desk
    Right here, Guilty :D