Drop nicely pls

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by joshua.bay, Apr 27, 2006.

1. joshua.bay

joshua.bay Regular Member

student
    how do you actually do a nice net drop that only allows the oppenant to do a drop back??

is it slice?

2. DutchRion

DutchRion Regular Member

Student
    hey Joshua,

I presume you mean sucha shot that makes the shuttle spinning in such a way that is nearly incontrollable?

3. disney.babies

disney.babies Regular Member

student
    you mean a drop from the back??? or net at the front??

4. DutchRion

DutchRion Regular Member

Student
    Joshua means how to place a drop near the net, that only leaves the opponent the oppertunity to drop back (in that case you have to get a drop from the opponent to do so) because dropping from the back in such a way it cant be given high back is nearly impossible.

5. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

I think Disney.babies' point is that there is confusion here between two shots.

A net shot is an underarm shot from close to the net played close to the net on the opponent's side, sometimes spinning.

A drop shot is an overhead shot played as close to the net as possible from near the back of the court (and often played as a slice).

You seem to be using the unconventional "net drop" to mean a net shot but it is confusing because you might mean a drop shot. We don't really know what Joshua.bay means.

6. DutchRion

DutchRion Regular Member

Student
    :p indeed, but i think he means drop-to-drop sortoff :p

7. joshua.bay

joshua.bay Regular Member

student
    sry for so much confusion

what i meant was from the net....

do you bounce the shuttle or make it spin and why it is more effective?

i find that i have more control by bouncing it than spinning as i am able to just tip it over the net...

thanks

8. DutchRion

DutchRion Regular Member

Student
    Its really a matter of practise.

What you learn at higher levels is this:
    Racquet has to be in front of you, and you have to stab towards the shuttle. Note that you have to keep your racquet blade very high, and the backhand grib (with your thumb at the downside of your grip as you do with bachand).

Then you have to step out to the net, and make sure to 'stab' the shuttle when its just crossing the net'band'. Also be sure to stab not down or up, just straight ahead, and keep your racquettop(blade) from high up, to down somewhere around 45/30 degrees or so, see what suits you best....

Though i hope you are able to do this properly, as it WILL takes some practise to master this shot. Though if you can hit it like this, and you will send the shuttle spinning your opponent will have huge difficulties returning the sharp spinning shuttle.

I hope you understand the basic techniques, as im not very good at explaining precise techniques like this in understandable english. (and it is only 10 o'clock in the morning :(