I just have a question regarding racquets....

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Nemesis311, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Nemesis311

Nemesis311 Regular Member

Well, I'm an average player in the school team and stuff like that yadda yadda same old stuff. But that's not the point. Recently I have been practicing with this friend. His skill is mediocre but he is really :mad: cocky. He thinks badminton is all about who has the better racquet and often complained :confused: he can kill me if he had a good racquet:confused: . So i have one question, I am using a MP 44 but i just bought a NS 9000X recently but don't feel like using it :( since my ignorant friend will say that my victory were depended on that racquet. So what do you guys think? :D :D :D thanks for replying

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Victory is victory. There is no excuse on the rackets. Just ignore him.

3. Nemesis311

thanks so if i lose to a guy playing with MP 22 and i am using MP 44 does that make me far inferior since i am using a higher level racquet?

4. kmodak

kmodak Regular Member

A sports retailer in India once told me :-

"Jaan racquet mein nahi Jaan aadmi main hoti hai"

Means "Power is not in the racquet but in the arms"

Good racquet will only give an incremental edge at best but will never substitute the quality and calbre of the player. Pick up an old aluminium shaft/ cheap racquet and play against him. Mostly the result will be the same.

5. madman

madman Regular Member

It's all in the mind.......I guess your buddy feels better holding an expensive racket.....no right or wrong. I will give you an anology. My wife goes facials and slimming therapy quite frequently + indulge in power dressing.......reason? She feels good & confident looking sharp and good........I have no complaints tho, cos she's using her own money...he he he.......

6. HKChua

HKChua Regular Member

Software Architect
    Exchange the rackets for a game to convince him further. Else... use a wooden racket to win him. If that guy continues to be cocky, use the racket handle to hit the shuttle instead of your string (if you can):D:D. Or, use a tennis racket to win him....

The problem here is the mindset. If he thinks he is always better, let it be. If he don't change his mindset, I think you may have to change your opponent.

Thanks.

7. madman

madman Regular Member

Have you tried doing that? Seriously? I have seen on tv one guy doing just that in a tennis match. Can't exactly remember who. Could be John McEnroe (with his now famous court antics....)

8. tangy

tangy Regular Member

student
    yeah we had a cocky player in our team, even though he is very good, no one respects him so dont worry about him

9. SPaterson

SPaterson Regular Member

Student, Programmer
    I wouldn't directly say your MP44 is better than an MP22.

The MP44 may suit you better, but I wouldn't say it's 'technically' superior in any way really. Other than it has a higher number, :p

As bluejeff said, victory is victory. As long as he's not using some 200 gram all steel racquet (and he's not, as said both using fairly similar level-racquets), the match is very little to do with who's got the better racquet and much more to do with skill.

Pity him for having to come up with excuses and just brush it off. ;)

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Clearly, he does not understand the game. If he wants to improve, better save $$$ to get training, and try to put hard work into it.

Reasonable range equipment is good enough, as they offer acceptable features (performance) and good enough protection. Any level higher, it's down to player's preference and financial ability. It's not a must.

11. Nemesis311

hey you guys thanks for the reply...but i lost to him once long time ago due to carelessness and he says he is better.Now that i can beat him he still thinks because i have a better racquet....have you guys ever met a person like this? Geez

12. Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden New Member

There's a person with a similar attitude on my team. After a while, I just ignore him. Nearly half my team has a "superior" racquet to mine, and I'm still ranked number two on the team. Don't be worried to use a racquet just because someone will say you're only good with that racquet. If they want to believe that, it's their problem. As several others have already said, the racquet is a small portion of your actual game.

13. eizmed

eizmed Regular Member

Doctor
    Definitely don't let this immature friend ruin your enjoyment of having a new racket, no matter how high or low end it is.

Since you are only practicing with this friend, you can do thing in a few different way.

If you don't like him that much, change partner after you beat him convincinglyl with roughly equal rackets, make you you both agree that the rackets are similar in quality if not identical.

If you value the friendship with him, why bother convinving him your're better? Just play with whichever racket you like and beat him consistently...and let him think what he wants (as you like him as a friend and playing badminton is just a part of it). Don't worry, the rest of the team, the coach and other people would KNOW who's better anyway....

Hehe... just becareful don't partner him incase his cheap racket breaks your new nanso9kx.

Good luck.

14. zuihoujueding

zuihoujueding Regular Member

heres the ultimate solution. pass him your nx9000x and win him. enough to shut his mouth. :D

15. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Is there reason why that cocky player does not have a NS8K or NS9K already? If he believe that so much, why not just save some money and sell his old racquet to get the newest and best? IMHO, MP44 is a mid level racquet and if you beat him with your beloved MP44 against any of his racquet, you are a better player period. (that is 2 period in a row!) No need to lend him the NS9K.
    May be his motive is to borrow your ns9k and try to prove his point? I would not let someone like that to use my racquet. Too tricky of a person.

16. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    A good racket makes you "likely" to win, not actually win. There's a difference. Don't forget that other people could have the same racket too.

Perhaps having a new good racket makes you feel better mentally and thus played better? I always plays much better with a new racket for a while. But after a while... things get back to usual. :D

17. IvanM

IvanM Regular Member

alright...just swap rackets and play another game

18. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    Why not get two identical racquets, string, string tension, etc. And then see who wins? You can't really complain when two racquets are the same, and you lose. Well, you can, but.. it'd be rather stupid.

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    You work hard, and improve, that's all for yourself. You don't improve to prove anything, or to show to any others. If others keep making noise or making excuses, leave them alone, and no need to argue. The hard fact is the best proof, not who shouts the loudest. ;)