Thomas Cup: Group B - Korea vs Indonesia

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2006' started by tutu_h, Apr 28, 2006.

1. tutu_h

tutu_h Regular Member

i just cannot wait for the group meet up between Korea and Indonesia on Sunday. I think this is the most exciting one as compare to today's 5-0, 5-0, 5-0, 5-0 results.

wonder what kind of strategy r they using?
    this meet up will decide whether they will be on the upper half or the lower half instead of fighting to be No.1 in the group.

I have the feeling that INA wanna be on the upper half.

Lower half will have to fight
    - MAS - DEN - CHN (3 hard fights)

and Upper half will have to fight
    - C2 or D3 - CHN - DEN or MAS (only two hard fights)

2. event

event Regular Member

That's an interesting question. Korea really doesn't have a chance to win the Cup this year so by rights, they should just aim for a semi-final against China. On the other hand, if they get lucky against Indonesia, they might have confidence but it will be too late at that point to reconsider. They played their best line-up against New Zealand today so it looks like they might be trying to win the group. You never can tell with Korea, though. Last year's Sudirman was disgraceful. If the Thomas Cup is related to pensions, we might see Korea tank another competition to give the younger guys some coin.

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Here's my analysis:
    S1 Taufik Hidayat vs Lee Hyun Il (50-50) -- under normal circumstances, I would give Taufik a higher chance of winning, but, considering that he has just recovered from his injury and has less playing hours under the new system, it tips the balance in favor of the Korean.

D1 Candra Wijaya/Sigit Budiarto vs Hwang Ji Man/Han Sang Hoon (55-45) -- the Indonesia pair should have the advantage.

S2 Sony Dwi Kuncoro vs Shon Sheung Mo (45-55) -- advantage to the Korean

D2 Luluk Hadiyanto/Alvent Yulianto vs Jung Jae Sung/Lee Yong Dae (55-45) -- again, the Indonesian doubles pair holds the advantage

S3 Simon Santoso vs Park Sung Hwan (45-55) -- Park should win, although Simon could perhaps give us a surprise?

So, the key for Team Indonesia is to make sure Taufik wins the first pt, otherwise, its gonna be difficult for them to win the tie.

4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Agree with all except the Sony match. I think he can overcome Shon. I don't think Shon has been setting the badminton world on fire lately. On his day, Sony is a pretty tough customer. The bigger question is whether INA WANTS to win this match or throw it. Personally, I think INA feels they stack up better against China than MAS and are willing to take a chance against them in the SF.

5. event

event Regular Member

Don't forget, too, that Denmark is on the other side. They are the only team whose doubles would be favoured against Indonesia's and they have 3 healthy and consistent singles players vs. Indonesia's injured and off-form players. I don't think Indonesia will want to finish second. On the other hand, if they want to preserve Taufik's condition, this would be the time to do it. Either way he has to play 3 matches for Indonesia to win the Cup. Either they try to beat Korea and he has to play Lee Hyun-il, Lin Dan and Lee/Gade or they rest him tomorrow and he plays Gade, Lee CW and Lin Dan.

6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

The news is...Taufik has yet again strained his back muscle and will not be playing today. I personally think its unlikely for him to play also tomorrow, so, we will see Sony vs Lee and Lee definitely holds the advantage!

7. Chu Liuxiang

Chu Liuxiang Regular Member

Even if Taufik lost to Lee due to injury, Indonesia is still able to bt Korea if they get two points from the MD and 1 point from Sony ( 3 times Asian Champ should be able to defeat Shon). However, if Korea try Park SH as second singles against Sony, then I would say it will be tough for Sony. If they tie at 2-2, then, it will be 50-50.

8. event

event Regular Member

Well, it sounds as if Group B is a non-issue, then. With Lee Jae-jin out, Korea won't be much of a factor in doubles. As for Indonesia, it doesn't matter how good their doubles is, even if Taufik couldn't win, they still had a chance against the likes of Malaysia since Hafiz is so erratic. However, if Taufik can't even play, the following matchups are hopeless: Sony vs. Gade, Sony vs. Lee CW, Simon vs. Jonassen, Simon vs. Wong CH. Of course, I can't even talk about their new 3rd singles player as I've never heard of him. Okay, just looked him up. Markus Wijanu is actually Indonesia's 6th highest ranked player at World #119. I've never heard of #4 or #5, either. His best-ever finish is the quarter-finals of a satellite tournament. They'd have been better off dragging Hariawan away from Toronto for the week. At least he's won an international tournament in the last 10 years and beaten a few Koreans to do it. Let's just say he is unlikely to pull off a miracle against the likes of Chen Jin, Park Sung-hwan, Hafiz, or Kaldau.

9. event

event Regular Member

The point is that if Taufik is out with an injury, Indonesia will have a tough time. Sony will be up against Lee Hyun-il, who is on form and will not lose to Sony. Shon could still have a sufficiently off day and lose to Simon, I suppose. But Park or Jang will make quick work of Markus. If Indonesia hopes to have Taufik back for the playoffs, this is how it will play out. If Taufik is a write-off for the tournament, ironically, his greatest worth would be to stay at first singles and act like a pitching machine for the big guns' smashes, just so Indonesia could keep a glimmer of hope alive for Sony at Simon at 2nd and 3rd singles.

#9 event, Apr 28, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2006