Trouble with defending smashes

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by joshua.bay, Apr 28, 2006.

1. joshua.bay

joshua.bay Regular Member

student
    i m pretty slow in defendi smashes .. ve got trouble coordinating my arm and legs when my opponent smashes at the side of the court.. how can i mprove on it?

2. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

Get down low...stay on your toes with right foot forward (if shuttle is coming from your left and left foot forward if from the right) or even stance but be sure to stay LOW...
    If you have to step to the shuttle then you step at an angle about half a meter to the back which gives you more time to hit it. Try to place the shuttle just over the net, this is much easier than trying to clear deep....be sure to follow your shot...:D

3. Xaviman

Xaviman Regular Member

Yes because if you clear your shot can be possible that you gift you shuttle and then you opponent re-smash

4. Javalina

Javalina Regular Member

student
    I never see how your play but one thing to remember is that always remember to have the racquet in front of you and racquet head up when in defence. Hope this help!

5. XKazeCloudX

XKazeCloudX Regular Member

Student
    I agree with them. Although the most important thing is not to hit a weak shot so they wouldnt be able to smash as well in the FIRST place. Always clear and drop. Dont just half court clear it.

6. joshua.bay

joshua.bay Regular Member

student
    thanks all so much for your help. thanks guys///

7. lil_hobbit

lil_hobbit Regular Member

student
    Same problem here....I can defend the smashes during drills....but once I'm in a game, my brain kind of freezes......any help here???(note:I don't play competitively in clubs, only on school teams)

8. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Sounds like your being flat footed and over anticiptating the shot. During practice I'm guessing you practice smash returns with the same person or group of people and it's on a half court (unless of course you go to a rich school). Since during practice it's probaly on a half court you don't have to stretch or move your feet much to return those smashes which gets you into the habit of being flat footed. Stay on the balls of your feet and bounce around a little bit, don't get set into a super low stance like your about to get runned over. Try practicing smash returns on a full court with your partner hitting at the lines. Your racket position might also be favoring your forehand too much because of practices on half courts or smashes that come at you. I prefer a cross between a forehand and backhand grip with my thumb on the bevel held like err...I just drew a sword and the racket head is on my left hip.

9. lil_hobbit

lil_hobbit Regular Member

student
    Thanks for the tip!!!but our school's badminton team is not that big......since I was doing singles before....i get a whole court with the other singles player to practice on.....:D....anyways...the situation mentioned above only occurs when i play in a game during tournament play.....

10. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Thats good that you get a full court =) Now get a partner to do cross court and down the line smashes on you while your trying to get back to you base. It might be that at tournament level the pace is faster then your synaptics can adapt to yet, practice makes perfect. That and maybe you should work on not letting your opponent smash at all?

11. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    Make sure the racket is out in front of you. Have the racket foot foward slightly, weight on the toes.

It's no point in being able to return the smash straight back directly to your opponent, but return and controlling the shuttle is just as important.

12. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    staying low with your knees bend & racket in front of you is the key position to defend smashes... & always remember to stay a little forward because players have a tendancy to move farther & farther back when your oppponent is smashing....