Thomas Cup Finals: Perfect start for Malaysia

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2006' started by ants, Apr 28, 2006.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    April 29th

NST
    MALAYSIA crushed the United States 5-0 in their opening Group D Thomas Cup match at the Sendai Gymnasium yesterday.

However, chief coach Yap Kim Hock and Rexy Mainaky should be concerned with the form of the No 2 doubles pair of Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah, who were stretched to three games by scratch pair Tony Gunawan-Bob Khan Malaythong in the third tie.

The Malaysians, who won the recent ABF Badminton Championships in Johor, looked rusty against the Americans.

They should thank their lucky stars that Gunawan's partner Howard Bach came down with a back injury at the eleventh hour. Gunawan-Bach won the doubles in last year's World Championships.

In a match which lasted 44 minutes, Tan Fook-Wan Wah took the first game 23-12 before losing the second 22-24.

However, the Malaysians put more effort in the third game to win. Chief coach Yap Kim Hock said it was a good win for the Malaysian team.

"Although our opponents were not on par with us, the win has given a much-needed boost to the players. More importantly, I want the players to adapt to the conditions in Japan," he said.

On the erratic performance of Tan Fook-Wan Wah, he said he was stunned to watch them play like beginners.

"Although they have been playing together for 12 years, they still find it hard to understand each other’s style. Probably they felt nervous playing against Gunawan.

"Gunawan can partner any player in the world and still give top pairs a tough time. Malaysians have always perform badly against Gunawan," added Kim Hock.

Earlier, World No 2 Lee Chong Wei made his debut as Malaysia's first singles player with an easy 21-9, 21-11 win over Raju Rai.

Chong Wei said he felt a bit nervous when stepping on the arena playing first singles for Malaysia.

"I did not go all out against the American (Raju) as I wanted to conserve my energy and stay out of injuries before the second stage," said Chong Wei, who added that his minor back injury did not bother him during the match.

Wong Choong Hann, 29, noted for his powerful smashes, made short work of Eric Go in the second singles, winning 21-14, 21-9.

Hafiz Hashim, the 2003 All England champion, showed Howard Shu no mercy to win 21-3, 21-7 in 19 minutes

The second pair of Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong wrapped up the best of five ties with a 21-8, 21-7 victory over Eric Go-Howard Shu.

Boon Heong, 19, who was making his debut, said he felt good playing his first ever match for Malaysia in the Finals.

Malaysia will play England next tomorrow. They are expected to stroll past the English to top Group D. Kim Hock is expected to rest Chong Wei in this match.

RESULTS — Malaysia bt USA 5-0 (Lee Chong Wei bt Raju Rai 21-9, 21-11; Wong Choong Hann bt Eric Go 21-14, 21-9; Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah bt Tony Gunawan-Bob Khan Malaythong 23-21, 22-24, 21-17; Hafiz Hashim bt Howard Shu 21-3, 21-7; Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong bt Eric Go-Ronald Sou 21-8, 21-7).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Lin Dan leads China’s march'

CHINA got off to a flying start in the Thomas and Uber Cups in Sendai yesterday, their men’s and women’s teams whitewashing their opposition.

World number one Lin Dan, who helped China win the men’s Thomas Cup for the first time in 14 years in 2004, led China’s 5-0 thrashing of India, though he surprisingly dropped a game in beating Chetan Anand 21-8 21-23 21-11.

Chen Jin eased past Anup Sridhar 21-14 21-10 while Xia Xuanze had few problems overcoming Arvind Bhat 21-15 21-10 in the tie’s other two singles matches.

Defending champions China can expect a severe test of their credentials from Malaysia, Indonesia and Denmark in Japan in the 24th edition of the Thomas Cup.

China’s powerful women made short work of their Uber Cup opener against the United States as they vie for a fifth title in a row.

In the men’s competition, South Korea pummeled New Zealand 5-0 while hosts Japan also registered a 5-0 win over South Africa in the Uber Cup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Hafiz: I am back at my best"

HAFIZ Hashim showed a glimmer of his form which brought him the 2003 All-England title in Malaysia's 5-0 whitewash of the united States in a Group D tie in Sendai yesterday.

The 24-year-old player combined powerful smashes and crafty court movements to crush Howard Shu 21-7, 21-3 in just 19 minutes.

Hafiz claimed that it was his best match for the past two years.

"I wanted to prove a point to my critics that I have adapted well to the 21-point system, and after this match, I think I'm back to my best," said Hafiz, who played in third singles yesterday.

Hafiz was in the limelight for the wrong reason at the recent Asian Badminton Championships in Johor Baru where he lost to Indonesia’s Simon Santoso in the third round.

He is now looking forward to the tie against England.

"It is important that I play against England as I need to adapt to the cold conditions in Japan before going into the quarter-finals," he said.

Hafiz said that his real test will be in the last eight where Malaysia will meet either Indonesia or South Korea.

"I'm ready for the challenge. I have no fear for anyone. The only thing in my mind now is to bring glory for the country," he added.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Malaysia... Boleh !!!

3. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

I had watched them playing like beginners in All England final this year. They are really worrying me now.

4. markchan

markchan Regular Member

LWW and CTF gotta buck up when they meet the likes of CW/BS of INA or the Danes.
    Looks like MAS will be resting LCW for the tie against ENG tomorrow. Hope his back injury is not acting up. BUt I think even without LCW, MAS MS will be too strong for ENG.