Burning Calves

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by keith_aquino, May 1, 2006.

1. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    Hey guys, I'm having these training problems right now. My footwork training's becoming more intense now; and my calves are starting to burn! This also happens whenever I go running. Yes, I do run faster to try to increase my lactic acid threshold. It still hardly has any effect though.

I've heard that sprinters do weight training to increase it. The thing is that I'm only fifteen and I've read some sources say that weight lifting can stunt your growth. I've also heard contradictions to that; but I'm not taking any risks. It's really only the shin area that hurts. Thanks in advanced! :)

Keith

2. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

this is important: is it your shin, or calf that hurts. Shin is the front of the lower leg, calf is the back.

3. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    You are going to have to be careful because you are pushing the limits of your muscle when you get to the point when it is burning. I know the pain you mean.

You need to develop your muscle base down there. There is an exercise where you put your left hand on the wall and lean forward, bend your right leg and put the toe on the calf then go up to tiptoe on your left foot and down again, and repeat the up and down till your calf begins to ge tired. Do the reverse for the right. Work out a routine for this that suits you.

4. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

you stop when you get a burning sensation? i've always been taught to keep going. IMO burning isn't pain

5. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    Nah, it's not the shin, it's the calf at the shin area. When it starts to burn I do a minute's walk around the 12 courts; after that, it becomes tolerable enough to start training again.

But did you just say that I should just continue training? Maybe I should try that. Maybe that would work. And thanks UkPlayer for that, I'll it today. :)
    Are there other excercises to develop your that area? Does anybody have a medical background on this? I wanna' make sure I'm not pushing myself to hard.

Keith

6. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    I've also been taught to work through the burn because the lactic acid build up isn't an actually hazard. For me my quads and calves burn almost every practice, except for soreness nothing has really come from it. If you really want to push ur legs and develope that speed and endurance I suggest playing a 1 v 2 using all doubles lines and then limiting yourself to not smashing. For me a set of 3 can take up to 2 hours.

7. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I didn't say he should stop. What I was saying is that he should train his muscle base there.

If he gets this burning sensation it means he is constantly pushing his muscle to where it tires rapidly. The burning sensation alone isn't a problem, or the lactic acid. What is a problem is that if he has increased his training to a point where he has suddenly started to notice this effect. Thus it follows that the area he is training heavily on needs a good base to sustain this kind of training.