Improving placement of shots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by iLikePie, May 4, 2006.

1. iLikePie

iLikePie New Member

Hi everyone,

I've just started playing badminton (well i played for a year about 5 yrs ago but just casually) and i'm quite keen to improve my game... not to be professional or obsessive (i see it as a leisure activity for me!) but obviously i'd like to be constantly improving, i enjoy the challenge.

Anyhow, I am getting better slowly, but one thing i've noticed is that i constantly have trouble with placement. I don't know about most clubs, but the place i play only has 4 courts, so the general idea is to find someone and just have a hit to one side while you wait for court space - works fine but i think it's subconsciously training me to always hit back to my opponent!

I've tried to use these practice times to concentrate on, lets say, hitting to their backhand or thinking in my head exactly where i want to hit the shuttle, but i find it rarely goes just where i plan.
    I'm also trying to use correct grips of the racket, and i suspect this is a large part of it but i hoped that as that improved, my placement would also get better.

so i was wondering if anyone has ideas on drills to practice, or any other tips that have helped them with placement. I suppose it'd also be good if there are any thoughts on how i can concentrate on thinking about how to avoid giving my opponents easy shots during games, while i'm thinking of a million other things!

thanks a lot
    Stuart

2. inkster

inkster New Member

Try simple drills such as:

With one other person, get them to stand stationary at one position of the court, e.g. at the forehand net corner. They can hit the shuttle wherever they want but you always have to hit it back to them, aim to get the shuttle near the side line and before the short service line. This will not only improve your placement but also your footwork and fitness! They should concentrate on getting a good deep clear. You can swap roles and also swap corners.

3. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

Think POSITIVE...do not think how you can AVOID giving up easy shots....

A good drill for placement is to buy 2 hula hoops and put them where you want to hit the shuttle....its fun to have competition during drills....first one to 20 wins....play for pushups, laps, footwork drills while you watch etc...

4. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

This is a good drill but it has the negative of (hitting at someone tends to transfer into your game play and you automatically hit at a player instead of away from him).
    It is hard to have drills that dont do that but they are harder to do unless your skill level is at least intermediate.
    Sorry about knocking this drill because used correctly it will help a lot but dont over do it. I guess this what I am getting at. For placement practice it is better practice for the stationary person.

5. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    If you have enough birdies just have somebody feed them to you while you try to get it into a box at the corners of the court.