Block Smashes

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by xVinhX, May 4, 2006.

1. xVinhX

xVinhX Regular Member

What kind of grip do u use while getting ready for the smash return? For an example do u use the panhandle grip or perhaps forehand grip

2. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

Dont use any grip!!!!!! Cheat the way you expect to return(if you set up for backhand return then cheat with your grip to the backhand grip) but keep your hand very very loose so that you can change if need be. Same thing holds true for service in dbls. Most players cheat a little to the backhand side when partner is serving but keep the same loose grip. Kind of a generic grip.

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I use a short neutral grip, which is often called "forehand".

You can take shuttles on both sides in front of the body using this grip. Against fast smashes you do not have time to change grip, and it isn't necessary anyway.

I learned this from Lee Jae Bok. He says that much of the power is generated by the first two fingers (thumb and index finger).

4. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    I prefer a backhand grip for returning smashes because it covers most of my left side to some of my right. And if it goes past my range on my right it has to be a very nice crosscourt shot that I can usually dive to get because of the added distance.