• Best of 5 games

124 34.44%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CWB001
    They are called games in badminton. Sets are in tennis.
    thats cause you live in the UK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I don't know about the rest of you, but if I have to play a tournament and we're going to 15, and I'm playing someone of equal ability...I'd be dead if I had to play 5 games. I can barely make 3 games when I'm in the finals and I've been playing all day to get there. If you were gonna do 5 games in a match the only way I personally see it working is by having it rally point to 15. Or 11?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keith_aquino
    I'd still choose 3 games. I think that most people who catch up do not because of tactics but because of better stamina. I wouldn't really call this fair because people have different levels of stamina and physiques. The mind, I think, is something different though because anyone can train it.

Keith
    There have been several adult tournaments actually where I've played better players with more consistant shots on the basis that I have better stamina than them. (I am 18, so I am expected to be able to out last most 35+ adults). They kick my @$$ the first game but I slowly tire them out and by the middle of the second match I have caught up to them and pass them by making them run for it. Sooner or later they just have to give up. I like the idea of 5 games because it sets up for more psychological play and it also would be a bit longer of a game. However it would have to be either 15 rally point or 11 regular.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by baddiebadder
    thats cause you live in the UK
    No, not at all. It is because it is how they are defined in the laws of badminton, which apply in every country:

"7.1 A match shall consist of the best of three games, unless otherwise arranged."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by black_knight006
    Personally, I don't know about the rest of you, but if I have to play a tournament and we're going to 15, and I'm playing someone of equal ability...I'd be dead if I had to play 5 games. I can barely make 3 games when I'm in the finals and I've been playing all day to get there. If you were gonna do 5 games in a match the only way I personally see it working is by having it rally point to 15. Or 11?
    It sounds as if you need to get fitter.

The tournaments my son plays in (aged 15) are always best of 3 to 15. In a typical tournament (and he plays 3 in an average month) he would play about 20 games in the day if he does reasonable well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung
    Assuming no tie breaks.
    that would need 77 points for the total so an increase from 63 (3x21).
    5x15 would max at 75 points. So not much difference there.

Advantage of a shorter game is that it gives a player much more credit to having a good run of points that the audience can understand.

Is 7 games better than 5? Looking from table tennis, I'm not so convinced.
    and the minimum points for each are: 42, 45, 44.
    3x21 at 20-20 play 2 clear up to 30
    5x15 at 14-14 play 2 clear up to 21
    7x11 at 10-10 play 2 clear up to 15

for breaks between and during games, for TV purposes, 5x15 and 7x11 are probably more flexible. The break in the middle of a 3x21 game is probably too short. With 7x11 you would not have a mandatory break during a game, but maybe increase the break between games to 2 minutes, or 2.5 minutes.

7x11 could bring back a bit of the strategy or the old 3x15. You have the option to throw a game to get your breath back without it being too much of a deficit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to play five games to 15 with rally points, three games are too short.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after some 21-point singles game experience and the Thomas & Uber Cup under the new scoring system, i feel that rally point system does have its own credit. you play carefully on every shot.

however, i think 21 x 5 would be better than 21 x 3, in men's singles case. i haven't played any 21 points doubles so can't feel anything about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When we play tournaments we may be forced to play two or three matches during one day.(local tournaments).If it is best of five games the tournament committee will have to arrange ambulance,oxygen cylinders etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the U.S. any events sanctioned by our National Governing Body (USA Badminton) has to use the new rally scoring points system 3 games to 21 points Rally Scoring.

So, I voted for best 2 out of 3 games but if they would decrease the number of points to win a game I would be all for the best 3 out of 5 games.

Talking with people who run tournametns using rally scoring, they say it is much easeir to stay on time with the scheduling with the new scoring system.

Toddster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 games, 15 points (rally system) gets my vote.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best of 5 games system is for sure fun to watch, and I bet more people are willing to buy tickets and go watch the longer matches. But afterall, it gives more advantages to business people like TV channels cause they can squeeze more commericals into a single match... In real life tournament like the local ones, there are many people playing and lots of matches going on. If every game last to 5 sets, I bet even a whole weekend will not be enough for the tourney to be finished (I know some are taking 2 days already), and its definitely not nice to the ones who have school or works on weekdays. If the tourney is continued the week after, I believe it will not be fair to everyone since the players may have different physcial or psychological conditions after a week. The quality of the games will be degraded, and I bet no one will want to watch the games with exhausted players doing all those crappy shots... Face it, I don't think its fair for people to win a match because of their stamina instead of their skills...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a singles player, five sets of 15 (service point) would be too long a game probably for both players to maintain... five sets of 11 or 9, however, I could live with. The problem, though, with more games of less points is that it almost becomes too choppy. You know what I mean?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this poll should be remade since the scoring system has changed already. For the 15 points system, I say 3 sets is enough. 5 sets would be too taxing.

For 21 points, I would say 5 sets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best of 3 games cuz best of 5 is like tiring if ur playing in a tourney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another vote here for 5 games... i think 3 is far too short for badminton and does not allow the full use of tactics/strategies/etc...

I find that i take a game to "settle" sometimes and with best of 3 this basically means a 1-0 disadvantage....but my tactics are usually better ...

Either way I think 5 games provides a more exciting match for the crowd too...

The next problem is how many points?? I like the rally point system so I'd stick with that....

so is is 5x15 rally points??? 5x21 would be too much I think....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

21 games of 5 pts? JK. But in all seriousness, I'd prefer 21 (rally scoring), 5 games, or back to the old system of 15 (non-rally scoring), 3 games.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast