Yonex Aerotus Series

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Erwin, May 16, 2001.

1. Erwin

Erwin Guest

Hi all,

I would like to ask if anyone knows if and where rackets of this series can still be bought, either new or second-hand. During the time (about 18 years now) I have played badminton, I have had two of these rackets, type Aerotus 70, which were ideal for me.

Sadly, both of them were damaged beyond repair during doubles games I played. Since these rackets have been taken out of production several years ago, I have not been able to find a new racket of this particular type.

So, my question is:

Who knows anything about this racket and if it is still available on the market today?

I would be VERY grateful if anyone could help me,

Thanks a lot!!

Erwin.

2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I am sure you can find second-hand ones floating around, but they are actually still in production, although only (?) for the Japanese market. Yonex Japan currently has the Aerotus 85 MP, 100, 70 Long, 60 Long, and 40 in their catalogue.

Maybe somebody here knows more about importing from Japan? Where are you located, Erwin?

3. Erwin

Erwin Guest

Hi Mag,

Thank you very much for replying. I hoped indeed that on, for example, the japanese market some rackets of the Aerotus line were still available. Fortunately, this is also the case. About the rackets: I would be very interested in the Aerotus 70L and 100, since I used them in the past (the original AR-70 and for a short time the AR-100). I do hope that the AR-70L still plays similar to the AR-70 and that it is not a completely different racket.

Now the problem arises that my location is not even close to Japan, but just a few (!) miles further in the Netherlands ..... Do you or anybody else know of any possibility to import one of these rackets from Japan? Is it perhaps possible to contact Yonex Japan directly regarding this? Also I do not know what the prices of these rackets are, but I will try to visit the web-site of Yonex Japan.

If anyone has any suggestions, let me know ....

Thanks again,

Erwin.

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Japanese dealers, anyone?

Hey Erwin, nice to see another fellow European here! I'm from Stockholm, Sweden myself.

As a consumer, I don't think you can deal directly with Yonex Japan. You need to find a dealer in Japan that is willing to handle overseas orders. I am sure somebody here can give a few pointers? Anyone care to comment?

5. Erwin

Erwin Guest

Re: Japanese dealers, anyone?

Hi Mag,

It seems to be a smaller world than you would expect, isn't it? Finding any dealers in Japan and import from there might prove not that easy. Furthermore, I have checked what I think are the prices in Japanese currency and the rackets are quite expensive:

About 14000 YEN = 113 USD = 1163 SEK

In terms of Dutch currency, this is somewhat expensive if I also have to get them over to the Netherlands (shipping costs etcetera). Therefore, I would also be helped a lot if I could get my hands on a second-hand AR-70, preferably without any serious damage. In the past, I have asked my trainers to look around for the AR-70 on their trips along other badmintonclubs and European tournaments but without any luck (I have never asked them if they have really SEARCHED for it, but okay). Afterwards, I tried several other rackets but none of them could ever equal the ease and comfort of play I had with my AR-70.

Do you have any contacts that might be able to help?

Erwin.

6. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I'm Not Japanese But.......

I saw an Aerotus racket here in Singapore, still new, Aerotus 44 if i'm not wrong..... Just thought i;d say so

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer

Sorry, Erwin, I don't have any useful connections for this. But maybe you could check with a Dutch Yonex distributor? Maybe they can do special orders?

As to the pricing, I agree with you that it's expensive! Buying equipment from Japan won't save you money, for sure. But if you could find it in HK it could be worth to import it, even if you include transport...

By the way, I'm not really a Yonex man (I'm more into Carlton), but I thought that the Aerotus series never really was a hit in Europe? Maybe that's why they're so hard to find second-hand?

8. Brett

Brett Regular Member

A few weeks ago someone on e-bay was selling a new, unstrung Aerotus 44 pretty cheap - I think they wanted $35 or 40 for it. However, the BC review section states that the AR 44 is designed for beginners. Anyway, you might try checking e-bay, particularly the local section for the Netherlands or another online auction site.

Why not try a Carlton instead? They are also standard length, oval headed racquets that are aerodynamic so I would think that one of their models might be similar to your old AR 70.

9. Erwin

Erwin Guest

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for the replies sofar. Keep sending them if you have any further tips / suggestions!!

Erwin.

10. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad

I tried holding the Aerotus 44 when i saw it in the shop. It seemed very head heavy and stiff. Not sure about the racket flex because i haven't tried it. It was quite expensive. i think it was something like $150 or something

11. Will

Will Regular Member

Hobo
    You can buy the series in Hong Kong..
    i saw some in Mong Kok.
    And i've a question about the Aerotus Series..
    What do u think of Aerotus 44? Can anyone tell me about it??

12. Erwin

Erwin Guest

Hi Will,

Thanks for your advice, unfortunately I am not gonna be in HK in the near future, but perhaps I can still obtain that racket via some other way (mail order). About the Aerotus AR-44: I have tried this racket once several years ago, but it did not have the right weight balance and stiffness for me. I do not have any further specific information about the AR-44. Someone else in this forum is likely to have more experience with it than me.

Greetings,

Erwin.

13. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    hi, i have a very good condition aerotus 44 and so does my friend, we bought it at the same time in northern california in the US. underneath the yonex logo, it didn't say japan, meaning that it's not made in japan. when we bought them, it was 45 usd and to be honest, i wouldn't spend more than 50usd for that racket. i currently have bg65 strung on the racket at 19lbs. it is a 2u/g4. i had a aerotus 70 once but the frame cracked, that racket hits well, had similar characteristics of he cab21sp i have.

14. yeeah

yeeah Regular Member

I've been using AR-70 (original) for the longest time and just recently decided to go with an ISO head. Mines in rather rough shape, but definately still useable. Paint chips, paint fading. Slight cone crack that makes a clicking sound when you flex the handle and shaft. *shrug* If you're REALLY hard pressed I don't mind selling, though shipping to Netherlands can't be that economical.

15. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    The last reply for this thread was more than 7 years ago...

16. yeeah

yeeah Regular Member

Holy grave digging. Guess I should have read the dates.