Drop-down thread tree missing and other unwelcome changes

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by event, May 7, 2006.

1. event

event Regular Member

There seem to have been a lot of changes in the forum software over the last two months. Most seem to be intentional but I don't know whether I'm missing some announcements. The latest however, seems to be a bug.

1. There used to be a drop-down box at the bottom of any post, thread, or forum list that would bring up a tree of all the forums and threads. I can't find it today.

2. No. 1 is, of course, especially inconvenient since the thread tree that used to be on the left side of the browser window was replaced by Gooooooogle ads 2 months ago.

3. The new login expiry is annoying. I regularly have to re-login after I finally finish typing my post. Fortunately I have yet to lose work even when asked to re-login.

4. I'm pretty sure the starting point for "New Posts" used to reset only when one actually clicked "New Posts". Now it is reset every time one logs out or is logged out by the system(which now happens several times for every - what I would call a - session: see No.3). That means that if I don't check "New Posts" every time I log in now, I miss notification of some posts being updated. Of course, as long as the calendar date doesn't change, I can use "Today's Posts".

I realize some of this is nitpicking and that most of us are better off with BC than without. My only reason for moaning is that BC was fine the way it was up until February. I realize that the left side thread tree disappearance made way for ads that might help keep the site running but the others seem to be simple function choices that I think were made correctly on the older version. As for point #1, I am pretty sure that must be a bug.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the forum drop down has been restored. i turned it off (among other things) during the TC semi in the hope of releasing some processor cycles. we were loaded all the way to the top during the DEN<->MAS semi. the server was huffing and choking...

the timeout. honestly, i don't know why that is happening to some members. it should not have logged anybody out. there is a timeout but not for logging in. i have increased that time to 30min. let me know if that is better.

the menu we had on the side turned out to be imcompatible with the new software. i had to turn it off. i will have a fix for that in a couple of weeks.

3. event

event Regular Member

I see the Forum Jump again. Great. Thanks for your attention to the details and thank you for the concise explanation in your reply.

4. event

event Regular Member

Drop-down forum tree ("Forum Jump") missing again

This forum drop-down tree has disappeared again. I assume you're aware of it, though, like last time. Is this because of processor cycles again?

Thanks.