I hate the Canadian badminton market...

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by tingc222, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tingc222

tingc222 Regular Member

This is just rediculous...I went to two local badminton stores. They carried lots of inventory, at crazy prices...

For example, AT700 with strings will set me back $275 CAD! AT800 w/strings $320, Nanospeed 7000 $270 w/strings, Nanospeed 8000 $305 w/ strings, Nanospeed 9000 $320 w/strings.

None of the racket that i considered were under $200. The ones i really wanted were the AT700, NS8000 and NS9000...and only $45 difference from the AT700 to NS9000.

And I don't want to order online cuz a third of the stores don't let you choose weight/grip size, a half offer great prices but are located in other countries, and a fifth are in Canada but offer similar, expensive prices...

And stupid Canada charges 30% border tax on all new goods...

And relatives in Asia can't tell between a genuine racket and a fake...

So basically i am stuck with the NS9000 at $320...and that's before 7% tax!!!

Worst of all, I have to pay for half of the racket, since my parents don't like the prices...A full IB student with packed summer vacation time, and now I have to find a part time job....

:crying:

2. event

event Regular Member

I hear you. I already picked up what I found was the only deal in Canada. By that I mean the only racquet or an badminton item that was cheaper in Canada than it is in Korea. I saved over C$70 buying the Victor Super Nano in Toronto instead of in Korea.

I can't believe you wouldn't be able to get a relative to find you a good, genuine racquet. Just don't go Yonex and your chances of getting a fake are slim. Some Asian countries have trustworthy online sellers with free shipping so you don't have to trust a relative to buy the right thing.

3. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    Haha I know what you mean the prices are crazy, not only for yonex all the time but mostly since there the big name, thats why Im sticking to Forza. All I can say is if you find yonex to be to expensive check out some other brands of racquets or if you have a friend going to asia who knows the difference get them to pick some up.

Full IB I know the pain lol I have 9/10 of my papers this week...9 papers in 5 days...fun, oh well done IB after that lol gr 12 so its over.

About the expensive racquets, Winter club has sales where you can get like 20% off sometimes even more so you just have to check around for those. If you knwo people sponsored by yonex get them to buy your racquet for you as they get it cheaper and then you can pay them back if there up for it. Well good luck with getting your racquets.

4. disney.babies

disney.babies Regular Member

student
    you got a break we get 15% tax well 14 if the tax thingy passes
    maybb try other brands other than yonex..many people on this forum has recommandation to other brands..check them out... same function/quality but cheaper

5. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    I don't see why you are so insistent in getting those racquets... perhaps they are the newest hypes? I'm sure an AT500 or AT300 would fall into your price category. Have you TRIED these racquets? Why do you know that AT700, NS8K, and NS9K are good? Is it because so many pros use it? If you must choose something that is endorsed by the pros, then be prepared to whip out the big dough.

6. aznricearoni

aznricearoni Regular Member

you are mistaken, customs does not charge 30% on all new items. the most i have ever paid was 14%. generally ebay shippers, shops in asia will mark the package as a gift with a value of less than 60CAD, which is duty free for importation if marked as such.

7. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Those shops do not seem to be the specialized since the prices looks more like MSRP. The local shop I go to sells the 9K for $270 with string.

8. Avatar

Smash down all clears!
    YY and other brands.

dude, smash master is right,
    i tried the NS8000, like the racket but not the price tag.

1. don't think that Yonex is the only genuine racket that u can buy.
    2. try other brands before you buy.
    i've been using yonex for 2 decades. broke 4 of them. costed me premium $.

YY no doubt has the BEST craftmenship and innovation i've ever seen in the industry, but honestly I can't afford to pay can$320.00 per racket that may break in one clash. my total spending in the past month for 3 rackets = can$250.00. These are used and new high-end rackets. i m not bashing YY nor advertising for other brands. but know your budget, and your options, and then u will stop whining and be happy.

15 yrs ago, i bought a YY clone n it broke because of poor enginnering and material. i almost swore i would never buy another racket except YY. today, i cannot say the same. i'd love to try other brands as the competition is delivering high quality goods. brands i wanna try (in order of my most desire): Gosen, Sotx, Babolat, Carlton, Forza, Wilson, Pro Kennex, RSL, Victor, more... do u realized how many choices you have in 2006?? n I didn't even mention the 2 brands that i spent my $250 on!! fake manufacturers will only make fakes on YY because they are expensive.

9. disney.babies

disney.babies Regular Member

student
    haha peer pressure ... well somewhat but yonex does dominate baadminton..

10. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    I think many of you would agree with me here:

If you're a beginner/intermediate level player you do not need an expensive high end racket (whatever brand it maybe...it's not just yonex).

Why? most likely you'll be playing with ppl at the same level...and if it's doubles, odds are your racket will clash with your partner lead to chips and possibly cracks. Why risk breaking $150+ CAD (i have a full-time job and i still think that's pricey) racket. One guy at my club just uses the Carbonex 8200 ($40 at Sport Chek) and he is a very skilled and smart badminton player.

It's better to emphasize on techniques and footwork rather then your racket. It's your skill not the racket that makes you a better badminton player.

the high end nanos, armotecs, mp's are all for advanced players...and each of these rackets are different catering to specific badminton playing styles (i.e control, power player, defense, etc).

Establish your fundamentals and when you get to a more advanced level then you'll be able to figure out what your playing style is and "graduate" to a high end racket that will suit your needs.

11. ilovedude

ilovedude Regular Member

Only smart kids go to IB and no offense, you are spending the hard earned money from your parents and you are bitching here and there because you can't afford to own a top of the line racket, shame on you.
    My son is also in IB I bought myself a YY Muscle power 25 last X'mas to reward myself, it was from sportchek for $74.00 (on sale) he loves that racket very much so I let him share with me. From some other thread's recommandation I bought another Carlton powerblade superlite from Cantire for $57.00 and it works good for me.
    Son, to beat the other player is what you have to learn but not the racket.
    One of the guy that I used to play with he's got MP99, NS9000, Gosen 5700 and 5 more so called the best racket once never know why got beaten by me who is only either using a YY iso 62 or YY cab 20.
    If you still don't get the message, quit IB and go full time with Mac Dogo and find the money you want to buy the racket. good luck

12. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    There is always the oversea alternative by the bulk. :D :D :D

13. ilovedude

ilovedude Regular Member

Hey Winex,
    Where did you obtain the information from regarding no duty for importing badminton equipment ?

thanks

14. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Try other brand like Victor, Black Knight or RSL.

15. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

any body ever heard of buying second hand ?:p

16. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    It is a well known fact that no import duty is applied on racquets and shuttlecocks except for clothings.

17. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Have you ever heard of extra flex on used rackets ?

18. hahahalol

hahahalol Regular Member

or...ITS THE NEWEST RACQUET SO I MUST GET IT!!! :p

19. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    hey i feel ur pain but check this out, http://www.mybadmintonstore.com they "miss label" stuff saying its a 20$ "gift" racket with no commercial, this is how i didnt play custom tax on my wounderfull 280$CAD ns9000S JP, awsum price, even lower for SP version, buy from this site man, they rock! good job to the owner i belive he is a member here, thanks alot man!

20. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Not quite true but we're talking about CD coded rackets - Not SP. If you compare CD with CD, then the local shop around here is the cheapest in Canada. However if you put it into perspective compared to the SP, you do not really save much.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    martin8768

$280 CDN? For $200 USD ($232.145 CAD), I gotten myself a JP of NS9K. Quite interesting.

#20 Matt, Feb 10, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.