I rolled my ankle for the first time....what should I do?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by heijihattori, May 7, 2006.

1. heijihattori

heijihattori Regular Member

former uni student...sales consultant
    okay...yesterday...basically it was a game of doubles and what happened was the shuttle was flying highwards into my forehand area and I was back so I decided to jump towards it and smash it. So basically what happened was I leaped sideways back smashed it then somehow landed on the side of my foot and rolled over my ankle (there wasn't any cracking or popping noises involved...luckily). I got back up sorely and we bascially lost 5 points straight (damn new rule)....the soreness reduced as the game went on and as soon as we finished that set I went straight towards the bench and rubbed on some external medicine cream to soothe the pain.....I continued the match and we eventually won in two straight. After a break of 2 hours in which I rubbed on more ointment...we played a final game and lost it in 2 close sets.....that afternoon however my ankle bulged to like half a tennis ball...i dont recall any wierd colours on the ankle...just puffy. I just bascially iced it and put on more ointment. The size of the swell has reduced since....but I heard that if you roll your ankle and fail to treat it properly and let it heal your ligament will be stretched and your ankle will never be the same again. This is my first serious injury and I am completely freaked out. What should I do?:crying:

2. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    With any injury fololow the rules of R.I.C.E. which are Rest, Ice, Compress, and Elevate. It sounds like a twisted ankle, so don't freak out about it. If the swelling is going down along with the pain that it's getting better. If it's not then go see a doctor, heck if your really worried about it go see one right now. Otherwise I suggest wrapping it with ace bandage and keeping the area warm during the day then doing a ice/warm water thing with it for a bit during the night. hope your ankle gets better.

3. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

do balance excercises. will help HUGELY! For me half spheres work best

4. nelsonkong

nelsonkong Regular Member

Quantity Surveyor
    yeah...do that...

I sprained my ankle so seriouly once...it was like completely twisted. I couldn't walk for like 3 days and couldn't play badminton for 3 months.

Am okay nowie...hehehe.

5. atimtam

atimtam Regular Member

student
    what i learnt from my parents is that you only do one treatment, either cold or hot and definitely not both. so either only do ice or only do the ointment/rub stuff.

they also said that it's better to rub it vigourously [therefore providing heat] even if it hurts a lot. in the long run it's better to rub it because you 'rub' the injury out...that's what's in one of those chinese saying =/

good luck, hope it gets better =)

6. DutchRion

DutchRion Regular Member

Student
    yes, and besides the things you put on your ankle and feeling if you have any pain is this: the famous Rion's RRR injury removal program :D....
    It stands fo: Rest Rest Rest. You do not want to play again to quicly after your injury, to find yourself making it worse because it isnt really completely over yet!

I certainly hope you will be able to play again soon, and for now: good luck with it!

Greetings,

Rion

7. heijihattori

yea I went to the doctor and she said it was fine...take it slow and use ankle support to strengthen the ankle...she told me that I got some good advice...thats why my ankle is healing so fine....thanks all for helping out...be back in action in a couple of weeks time...in the meantime...more baddy videos to crave my addiction....lolz

8. Lin Dan-Fan

Lin Dan-Fan Regular Member

OK the real question is were you wearing badminton shoes?

9. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Speaking of which I just rolled my ankle today because of some dust on the floor. Lesson to be learned is to always check your court before you play. As for the cold/hot thing, I was thaught to use warm to help healing while cold to help reduce swelling and pain. The idea of combining them together for treatment isn't new, hence products such as icy hot, etc. As for rubbing the injured area, it's a eastern style of medicine that can be used for minor injuries but be careful about applying the same tatics to anything serious.

10. heijihattori

yea...actually I was...the problem was that I landed with my foot on an angle and thats wot tipped my ankle under...I mean I've probably done this shot millions of times and its never happened...this is the first times...just an accident I guess...but yea its got nothing to do with the shoes

11. J_M_V

J_M_V Regular Member

Sales
    This is very important, and not just whatever badminton shoes but ones that A) give good traction and B) support your feets natural movements (e.g. Yonex SHB99). I used to use Adidas and Asics shoes, some of which were for badminton, and sprained my ankle many times. And it was always as heijihattori described: an innocent looking situation which mostly happened because of lack of concentration. But after I started using really good badminton shoes (for one year now) I've had no problems whatsoever.

12. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Well, it's not like badminton shoes have a magical ability to prevent ankle sprains....

Anyhow, the steps I usually take when I sprain my ankle:

1. Get the swelling down using RICE
    2. Regain full range of motion
    3. Work on balance
    4. Strengthen muscles using elastic physio-bands
    5. Low-impact cardio exercise like cycling, to get some circulation going in the area
    6. Light-impact exercises like jogging or skipping to regain timing for the ability to absorb force
    7. Start introducing different movements, like lateral shuffling and pivoting as you get stronger.
    8. Back to badminton!

Let pain be your guide. If you feel pain, back off a little, but do make sure that your ankle is fully functional before you jump back into a game situation. There's no point risking more severe injury to yourself.

13. Rob_L

Rob_L Regular Member

I did exactly the same thing last year, I found the exercises on the following website very useful for strengthening the muscles http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/Handouts/anklesprain/anklesprain.html
    PS I wouldn't recommend playing again for at least 3 weeks. When you do return make sure you warm up, wear a decent ankle support and take it easy at first. I know plenty of people who have come back too early from injury only to make the injury even worse.

#13 Rob_L, May 11, 2006
    Last edited: May 11, 2006
  14. yoyomonkey

yoyomonkey Regular Member

how could you continue to play when you hurt your ankle. I sprain my ankle 3 times, and each time i have to forfit the game. It hurts a little afterward but the next day i barely able to walk. Just take some time off for it to heal.

15. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Ouch, i semi-rolled my ankle once. I did a jump smash and landed akwardly and almost rolled my ankle. The pain was excruciating. It hurt so bad in the morning but healed in a few days.

16. heijihattori

yea...I know a lot of people said that to me too...but I was in a semi's situation and I didn't want to let myself or my partner down and luckily we did win that match. I'm just glad I didn't further injure it.

Well its been over a week and my ankle is a lot less swollen....just some slight bruising, my ankle is visible again and I can start moving around with a lot less pain. I've been occasionally doing some of those exercises from Rob_L and my ankle seems less tense now.

Thanks a bunch for everyone's advice :) much appreciated!!!!!

btw I was wondering...on average how long does it take to heal and play competitively again and when I play again is it better to tape it, use ankle support or use ankle brace?...I mean I've heard that once you've rolled it, it'll never be the same again because the ligament has stretched and you're more prone to spraining it in the future so I guess its worth using one of these when I get back on court :p

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The length of time required for recovery varies. It depends how bad your sprain is. If I gave you a number, then I suspect you would start playing after that time had elapsed, even if your injury was still unstable :rolleyes:

Ankle braces can help protect your injury, and are therefore excellent for gentle rehabilitation to exercise. When I sprained my ankle (badly), I rested for several weeks, then returned to non-competitive badminton (walking around the court) with an ankle brace.

Once the injury is stable, however, you should remove the ankle brace. If you continue to wear an ankle brace for a long time, then your recovery will be stunted. Wearing an ankle brace hinders your ankle's ability to relearn how to stabilise itself. The ligaments need to be trained again; they should be able to control the stability of the ankle joint, but if you wear a brace they will be inactive.

If you return to competitive play wearing a brace, then you have done things in the wrong order. If you still need to wear a brace to keep the ankle stable, then the injury is too severe for competitive play. Stick to slow-paced, gentle exercise or casual badminton, wait until you have recovered sufficiently to remove the brace, wait a bit longer while your ligaments relearn how to function, and only then consider returning to competitive play.

Physiotherapy can also be invaluable.

18. heijihattori

hehe I wouldn't do that :rolleyes:...don't really want to shorten my badminton days at the moment. Ummm....okay just let me kind of refrase what I meant about the support thingy....okay what I meant was when I have fully recovered (ie no more pain jumping around, normal looking ankle, full balance, etc)....what support should I use to prevent reoccurance of the injury when I am playing. Because since its been rolled once there's a higher chance it'll sprain again since the ligament has been stretched...right?...so wouldn't it be safer to use some sort of protection to reduce this risk rather than nothing :(

19. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It is a delicate balance between protection and recovery.

An ankle brace will stabilise your ankle while it is still especially vulnerable. But if you wear the brace for too long, then your ligaments will never recover and you will be dependent on the brace for life.

Although ankle braces are effective at protecting the ankle, they are not nearly as effective as properly rehabilitated ligaments. You can still easily sprain your ankle wearing a brace, so don't overestimate its protection. Using your ligaments early on will prevent them from forming too much scar tissue. If you don't use them, then you will develop more scar tissue and you will never regain your ankle stability and proprioception (not just my opinion; explained to me by a senior physiotherapist).

You should attempt to minimise your dependency on braces. Use them in the early stages of recovery, when you are at serious risk of spraining again. But as soon as you feel the ankle is stable enough, remove the brace.

It is better for your ankle if you do gentle, non-competitive exercise without a brace. You might prefer to rely on the brace to do more competitive and strenuous exercise, because this exercise is more fun; but it will not be the best way to recover.

I never wore a brace except when I was gradually beginning to play badminton again. I minimised my dependency on braces, and consequently, although I twice suffered a severe sprain, I now have a fully stable right ankle again (expert assessment, not just my own). I still get some pain in that area, but it is manageable.

If in doubt, consult doctors and physiotherapists. Actually, do it anyway. You should be in doubt, and I would not trust the opinion of some random guy off the internet!

#19 Gollum, May 15, 2006
    Last edited: May 15, 2006
  20. heijihattori

hehe...I did...but just in case I talked to a physio as well and he said that when I recover it is advisable to wear one of those elastic ankle thingys when I play....but yea I don't need it all the time...only when I play a match I need to put it on