Return Smash on Backhand Side?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Carbonex_21, May 7, 2006.

1. Carbonex_21

Carbonex_21 Regular Member

engineer
    Dear All,

I have a weak reply to smash on backhand side. It always end up with half court return which enable my opponent to re-smash more steeper & harder.

Does anyone has a hint how to power up my stroke so that my reply on backhand side to a smash will be farther & higher to the back court.

Can anyone tell the correct swing for this stroke.

Smash return on forehand side and blocking smash wont be much problem to me.

Thanks.

2. Josh²

Josh² Regular Member

Student
    -Very crucial that you must get there in time to take the smash.
    -You can do a wrist-flick (jab) or if you have time a full swing.
    -You can try to give a drop shot return when whoever smashes you on your backhand instead of a high lob back.
    -Overall I think you must get there IN TIME to take the shuttle is most important then jab (snap) harder to make it lift further with a good angle.

3. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    unless you have a very good supernation of the backhand action, flicking a smash is a very bad idea. it'll put you under more pressure. the best option is a solid block to the net. if the net area is a weakness for you, block further back as this makes a tight net shot harder to do. but be aware of low flicks over your head. and don't rush into the net after blocking, stay at base. if the net is good for you, angle the racquet up more so it's a loopy block, provided it's not sky high, it'll force the opponent to return to the net or do a high lift. don't flick unless you can, and if you do, make sure it is deep. a very good shot to play against a straight smash, especially if they're not yet recovered, is to bend your wrist, and pull the racquet across to play a cross court return, not full cross court, but 2/3 of the way there. very effective shot, stops them charging straight in from a smash, even if you can't flick, adds flavour and is a good option.but if you, like me, experiences an opponent who has a powerful smash, and then rushes in for the net kill, don't flick unless it is good length, its suicide. rather, do a block which is flat and near the service line, or corss court it. very useful

4. Carbonex_21

Carbonex_21 Regular Member

engineer
    Thanks for your opinions guys. A few more things;

While making a wrist-flick, does it involve an arm swing or just flick only? should we move/push our body a little forward while hitting the shuttle (so that more power to the stroke)-when dealing with straight smash (if we play in double)?

5. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    With all due respect, you should be able to easily do a deep lift with your backhand in defense. It follows through naturally. So let the birdie go down to waist level and follow through.

6. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    I nearly always use the around head smash. I use my backhand for a down the line drive or drop or clear.

7. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    well......if you haven't had as much experience, even if you can benchpress more than Tyson, you can't gonna have the best flick. it's all timing and that comes with on court time and practice, a new Nanospeed won't help much. it is very natural but hard to do it well, and like Carbonex has found out, like me, it is very bad to do a half flick. believe me, block to the net. if it is doubles, try a drive, cos thats what they are for. everyone tells you driving is important in doubles but never why. this is why. when you are at sides, block and drive back, then if you come out top in driving, then you will be pushing them back in court and you will be near the net, they will have no option but lift, which turns the attack on them, but they'll try to do the same against you. so id singles, drop, in doubles, drive flat. back, never lift unless it hits past the doubles service line. it doesn't matter if it feels natural, if you can't make the lenght, don't