Faster swing speed

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by lightsmash, May 9, 2006.

1. lightsmash

lightsmash Regular Member

Target board
    Hi guys,

I just changed from a 4u to 3u racquet, and I'm having trouble timing my smashes when I do a full arm swing. I can smash when I dont do a full swing, but the smashes are weak. And when I do a full swing the timing goes off, and I dont get to hit the sweet spot like 90% of the time, and I dont even bother to try jump smash.
    I think I ned to improve my swing speed by training my arm. Can anyone advise what sort of exercises to do for achieving that. :)

2. Josh²

Josh² Regular Member

Student
    Use weights. Rest your arm on your leg and lift the weights just using your wrist. Use a squash or tennis racket to swing around for a few minutes, do not swing it as fast as your badminton racket as injury may occure. Take your racket and stretch your hand up full length and then using your wrist only, swing the racket forward backwards forwards backwards.....

3. lightsmash

Target board
    thanks for the suggestions, but will those exercises improve on swing speed?
    it sounds like they will improve wrist power, but i think i need to improve on wrist power too. thanks! :D

4. dkroft

dkroft Regular Member

student
    on the subject of wrist strength, even though that's not what you're really looking for, i'd recommend an alternative to swinging a squash racket. buy a generic aluminum racket from any sporting goods store. they tend to be heavier than regular rackets, obviously, and also obviously, they're more like a real badminton racket than a squash or tennis racket. also, they cost like 10 bucks.

5. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

i highly doubt the 4u to 3u is the case since i use a different racket everytime i play, and its the crappy school rackets too (mines at home, always forget it). Anyways im not sure what the problem with your timing is but instead of swining faster, why not swing a bit eariler? or use your body weight so you can get more power and swing faster at the same time? I dont think weight training or excerises will increase your swing speed significantly enough for a huge difference. Swing speed is not really something you can train, unless yours is not very fast at all. there is a limit of how fast a human hand can move.

6. tonyw85

tonyw85 Regular Member

Going from 4u to 3u won't make a big difference for those with decent wrist strength, but might be more noticeable for weaker wrists. Do you find it harder to repeatedly return drives alternating on both sides? If you do, then your swing may indeed be slower, and I'd recommend the strength training mentioned above.

7. lightsmash

Target board
    repeatedly returning drives is hard for me even on my old 4u racquet, using my current 3u racquet only makes it worse. I think i may really need to do some str training.

8. qinglong

qinglong Regular Member

not only do you have to do strength training, you'll need to maintain it. i lost power after I stopped wrist strength training for a while.

9. lorus_blue

lorus_blue Regular Member

hi i'm no expert but i think the best thing to do is to use your new racket every single time you play badminton, that way, your arm will get used to it, your'll develop new techniques such as hand and eye coordination..the usual stuffs that your learn as if you're a beginner(again)..hth

10. lightsmash

Target board
    thanks for all the advises, i feel so loved. :eek:

11. madman

madman Regular Member

.....use red bull.....guaranteed rocket arm speed...... :)

12. lightsmash

Target board
    red bull is not good for health. :)

13. Josh²

Josh² Regular Member

Student
    ??? Why isn't it not good for health... Sorry off topic a little. But if red bull isn't good for health, try LIVITA GOLD! :D

14. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Strength for your forearms, wrists and fingers is speed-specific. That means that just because you're strong at the slower movements (wrist curl) doesn't mean you'll be strong (or powerful) in the full speed movements. Also, an important part of swinging quickly is to learn how to relax the muscles that oppose the movement you're trying to do.

I suggest hitting lots of drives.

15. madman

madman Regular Member

Loh, can I offer you some suggestions? After observing the way you play, I suggest you train up your wrist strength. I dare to say all the strokes in badminton involves the wrist to a large extend, be it a hard smash or a subtle drop or an attacking drive. Also, be more observant on how the advanced players play and put yourself in their shoes to visualize how they execute these strokes. I also observed that you were not very mobile on the court. Now, the position of the body just before hitting the bird is crucial, so correct footwork is something you definitely must improve. We can share ideas and improve together the next time we meet! See ya.

16. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    Red Bull is EXTREMELY bad for health. Some athletes drink it before a hard match and they have heart attacks.Many people are trying to get energy drinks outlawed. I also hear its illegal in Canada. (not sure on the last one)

17. lightsmash

Target board
    Hello Daniel,
    Thank you for your valuable advises and feedback. I donno how to train my weak wrist, sometimes I think i move too rashly, thats why always got tricked by your signature move. My footwork isnt very good, as I have never received proper badminton training before, and even though I have watched pros play and try to learn from their footwork...my body just doesnt move the way my brain wants them to. Btw, you are so good liao, shud not partner lee to bully newbies like me. :p Next time partner me and teach me some of your marvelous trick shot. hehe:D

18. lightsmash

Target board
    Oh yea...its very bad for health, its like soldiers on stimpack. I used to take them when I was young, but stopped when I know they are really bad for your health...not to mention they help you to get diabetes faster.:mad:

19. madman

madman Regular Member

Ha ha ha, Lee and I are together almost a century old already.......so youngsters like yourself should have no problems hammering us........Yes, I would be glad to show you some footwork exercise and some wristwork the next time we meet, provided you are keen to learn. We should all continue to learn and improve all the time, regardles of our age because badminton is such an elegant game.......

20. madman

madman Regular Member

Yes, I agree Red Bull or Livita are *bad* for health. I was just joking when I suggest Lightsmash take Red Bull to add some bull strength to his swing. Drink Glucolin instead, ready glucose for immendiate burst of energy, cheap and effective. And not harmful to health. I hope. Cos I'm using it. Lots of it.... :)