Interesting Study - Talent

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by blckknght, May 10, 2006.

1. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
  2. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

I've always thought something similar. Unless of course it involves physically different traits such as a sprinter having 80% fast twitch fiber while a marathon runner has 80% slow twitch.

3. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    So it seems that what I need to do is find someone to give me immediate feedback, and set some goals in my game:)

4. mtnbf

mtnbf Regular Member

Ahhh the nature vs nurture debate rages on. Any article that extols the virtues of hard work is to be commended. However, as the author pointed out, hard work, setting goals, practice practice practice etc are but tools to unlocking one's potential.

5. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

talent surpasses practice o.o

6. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    talent? a little vague.

athletically talented? artistically talented? strategically talented? dexteriously talented? conivingly talented?

7. event

event Regular Member

Definitely. I mean, if you are trying to improve, determining whether nature or nurture is more of a factor is immaterial. The only way nature vs. nurture can affect training decisions is if one is trying to decide whether one's lack of potential makes further training futile.
    You are probably right. The question is whether you have also thought that concentrating on marathon training to the exclusion of sprint training or vice versa would have no effect on the percentage of fast-twitch muscle fibers.

8. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

I have been told that fast twitch fibers can develop into intermediate twitch fibers but slow twitch can only ever be slow twitch.

To add to the idea nature vs nurture I want to add an observation I've made playing various sports throughout my life. Have you ever noticed that the slower people or the less athletic people who still play sports seem to make up for thier lack of athletic ability by increasing thier skill. I have observed that an unathletic body type who is as committed to a sport as a more athletic body type has learned more tricks to improve thier skills and anticipation than the more athletic person who has always relied on being more physical than thier opponent. I believe this is due to a lifelong reliance on either physical prowress or intelligent relaxed play.
    A player who recently began training at the glencoe came overwieght, slow, and unfit. However he was still a tough match for many because of his ability to read and anticipate shots. Hes more relaxed during rallies because he does not have to exert himself as much as a physical player. Being relaxed helps you to better analyze your opponents game and over time will vastly improve your anticipation and tactical play.
    A well known BC example would be Taufik vs Lee Chong Wei (im sure someone will disagree with the following). Many people consider Taufik the most gifted player in the world. I would consider LCW one of the most physically gifted. Taufik at his best will beat the much fitter, faster, stronger LCW even when LCW is at his peak. Another reason for Taufiks inconsistent play is probably his bodies physical inability to keep up with the harsh indonesian training. Even if you don't agree with that example I'm sure you can find an archetype for comparison in your own life experiences if you have played a variety of sports with a variety of people with different levels of commitment.

#8 Eurasian =--(O), May 11, 2006
    Last edited: May 11, 2006
  9. event

event Regular Member

Interesting. I'd never heard that but then I haven't looked into this. I just remember a med student, who had been a competitive gymnast but had been concentrating on marathons for several years, mentioning that his muscles were mostly slow-twitch they had been mostly fast-twitch. That is far from authoritative so what you wrote is interesting. Back when I still had a shot at being a 5'7" dunker, I might have looked into it had there been a web back then. Now, I doubt I'll bother.