User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Flexibility

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

according to my physical trainer, always warm up a bit before you stretch. that way your muscles are a little more flexible. as a story, yes stretching has a lot of benifits. i usually dont stretch before a game, and one time i pulled a muscle. needless to say i was out of action for a month. all this due to not stretching. so now i've learned to always stretch before, during a break, and after games. advice from my physical trainer.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

May I refer back to the very first post. Read the conclusion stated very carefully

It does NOT say stretching has no benefit at all.

It says stretching seemingly has no benefit in reducing injuries or muscle soreness.

Of course stretching increases flexibility...but that was not the original claim!

Many coaches will say stretch to reduce injuries...at the moment, this reasoning is not backed up by the science......but only by popular belief. (refer to example of leeches).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's important to distinguish between different types of stretching:

1. Static stretching as part of your fitness regime. This can increase your overall flexibility.

2. Static stretching as a warm-up exercise just before badminton. This is now thought to be either pointless or even harmful.

3. Dynamic stretching as a warm-up exercise just before badminton. This involves movements that do not stretch to the limit of your range of motion. The stretches are not held for more than a couple of seconds at most, or even not held at all. Badminton movements such as lunges are included.

This third type of stretching is now recommended as the second part of a warm-up. The first part is aerobic activity, such as jogging, with some badminton-related movements (e.g. jogging sideways or backwards).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    3. Dynamic stretching as a warm-up exercise just before badminton. This involves movements that do not stretch to the limit of your range of motion. The stretches are not held for more than a couple of seconds at most, or even not held at all. Badminton movements such as lunges are included.
    I am doing this most of the time now as I no longer employ full limit stretches before warming up. To do the latter will have me feeling really sore at the muscles before I even begin playing, dramatically lowering the my level of productivity on the court.

I do play better, but I ended up with the danger of cramps happening as of last Friday - in the middle of the game; in which my calves were threatening to pull as I was leaping upwards to smash and lunging 'gracefully' forwards to tap.

I last longer on the court too. Played another two hours after that and I am less fatigued than I used to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is another factor I haven't seen mentioned: stretching cold versus warm muscles and tendons. I think Gollum is alluding to this. I have been told by a prominent sports orthopod that stretching cold does not do much good, but if you warm up a little, and then do the stretching, it will help to loosen the muscles more. I have no other data to verify it, but it makes sense, and that's what I do.
    Last edited by AKFT; 05-10-2004 at 05:26 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you observed that cats stretch their legs and body when they wake up from a slumber? It appears to be instinctive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't read through all the posts in this thread, but i've read through some material before about the subject as you've written, somewhere it even say, stretching is bad for children.

Well I can directly say that a fast stretching before you perform hard physical activites ain't bad, and neither a fast stretching after you're ran a very long distance.

Its same thing as when you play badminton, you can at least stretch your arm in some different directions before you start and play a little soft the first 5 mins, you don't go into the court and first thing you do is putting on the ultimate power smash, that can hurt in the arm if you're unlucky and have trained hard before.

Same with after running, if you don't stretch your legs at least a little, you might feel more pain the day after.

Pretty often I don't stretch, but I at least take it a little soft the first minutes before you go into a frenzy state .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default flexibility (no not racket flexibility) =)

So what's a really good benefit for being flexible in playing badminton, besides doing to splits to get that miracle shot that everyone cheers for? Cus i hear a lot in this forum that flexibilty is important for badminton, but for what? All i can think of is lunging for the birdy..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tsk tsk... i thought you would have known this stuff!!

Body and arm flexibiilty to hit shots from out of position. Like reaching really far over your head and bending your body in ways that would make others cringe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i feel so stupid.........

Ic...the more flexiblilty you have then the more reach you got in your shots ....yay i'm learning stuff!!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well seeing as you probably lunge for more than 60% of your strokes, (more in doubles) then flexibiltiy is of obvious benefit.

Can you imagine a robot (low flexibilty) doing footwork?!! then imagine why pro players footwork looks so smooth is partly because of big training, and partly because they are flexible so their muscles allow them to flex and cushion their movements.

Try do flexibilty exercises that involve dynamic movements, as we do not need static flexibility (like gymnasts), as we never stay in one position for longer than a frfaction of a second. Static flexibiltiy IMO causes injuries to Badminton players.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's nothing wrong with static flexibility exercises; they are a good way to develop long-term flexibility. They should not be used for a warm-up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ardy Wiranata former world #1 stretches before he plays, and after he plays... so if he does it, we probably all should. He doesn't stretch too much but like gets all the major leg muscles.... and man anyone else read about the taekwondo guy doing the spltis for 30 min????!!! jeeze

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default how do you get my flexible?...

just a few weeks ago i was in anaheim and sometimes i would go o the back to watch the other players warm up and i noticed how flexible the asian players were

does anyone know any good techniues to get flexibale as fast as possible
    i know it will help my footwork alot. i already have the basic structure but i want to improve more

i've read this one book and it said not to push down and hold a stretch too long because your body may reject it and you may become less flexible... i dont know if this is regarding to 40-60 year old person.... but im 16 and i was wondering if i was inclued

thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bloctete
    just a few weeks ago i was in anaheim and sometimes i would go o the back to watch the other players warm up and i noticed how flexible the asian players were

i know it will help my footwork alot. i already have the basic structure but i want to improve more

i've read this one book and it said not to push down and hold a stretch too long because your body may reject it and you may become less flexible... i dont know if this is regarding to 40-60 year old person.... but im 16 and i was wondering if i was inclued

thanks!
    I am not so sure about being more flexable would help your foot work. Foot work is something that you want to get better. And when you improve foot work, suppusely you wont be flexing or streching or even lounging as much. So I'm not so sure about that part between connection between footwork and flexable should be connected.

But for sure, I know something about the Human body. My physiology teacher and weight training teacher has taught me one important thing about being more flexable. Not everyone can be as flexable as everyone else. There are alot you need to work on. Like streching.

There is a phrash we go by in our weight training class "Feeling pain means you are getting stronger. Doesn't apply to muscles and streching." If you strech too much, you will rip your muscles and it can take a while to recover from it. (I know because I riped a muscled on my antetior cubic muscle and I couldn't lift much after that nor play badminton).There are limits, and you need to watch those limits when streching and trying to be "more flexable".

If you are trying to get faster in foot work, try doing squats. It helps your legs to get stronger. To get faster in footwork, make sure you work your legs and doing some drills.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ad.php?t=25892

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bloctete

thanks!
    hmm...i don't think you can really get flexible really fast...it's something that's very gradual and takes time just like weight training. the main thing is that you perform a task that requires flexibility often so your body gets used to it and retains the flexibility. like...say when you're watching tv...maybe during the commercials you could try doing the splits or something or like try to reach your toes while sitting down. just make sure you don't push yourself over your limit and hurt yourself. soon...these you will be able to do these things a lot easier than when you started...and i think the thing about not holding it too long sounds reasonable...anyway...good luck...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hello

Well, I'm no expert, but it takes LOTS of stretching exercises. For example, have you seen Tae Kwon Do experts do those high kicks? During a 2 to 3 hour class of Tae Kwon Do, students spend about 30 minutes to an hour stretching.

Good luck and God bless!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast