User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Flexibility

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well getting flexible faster is a just a bonus getting flexible is all i want to do
    im sure it will give a better center of gravity and deeper lunges.
    i guess whats why all of china's players are so flexible

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

being flexible is a very important key to having good footwork

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeDudeInBlue
    I am not so sure about being more flexable would help your foot work. Foot work is something that you want to get better. And when you improve foot work, suppusely you wont be flexing or streching or even lounging as much. So I'm not so sure about that part between connection between footwork and flexable should be connected.
    Theres a strong connection between decent footwork and flexibility, particuarly in lunges as I think someone pointed out earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze
    being flexible is a very important key to having good footwork
    Anyway, I am reading "Excelling in Badminton" by Jake Downey, and its got some great pages on flexibility, and how your muscles work, followed up by some stretches to be done 3-5 times a week to improve flexibility.

I thought I would give those of you who haven't read the book a short preview on it's flexibility chapters:

Edit:
    Alright I just realised that I can't actually quote this on a public forum or I could get in trouble seeing as I don't have the authors permission or the publishers. (Damn shame because I spent a fair while typing it all out)

Anyway from what I know: stretching must be done slowly and over periods of time in order to overcome something that is called the stretch reflex. This is a reflex that stops a muscle fibre from stretching to far. If you stretch slowly the stretch reflex is much less and you can stretch further without doing any damage to the muscle fibre. So the key is stretching slowly and reguarly.

Hope this helps,

Azwok.
    Last edited by Azwok; 09-01-2005 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Damn copyright laws

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aww that is a shame since it would be a some really useful info. the best way to get flexible would be the hard way, stretch. if you want to get flexible quickly, i believe you should some decent stretches in the morning, before you go to sleep, before you play, and after you play. very time consuming. i think the reason why the pros are so flexible is because they stretch a lot. since they spend most of their "whole life" in the gym, it would be obvious that they would be that flexible

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ
    hello

Well, I'm no expert, but it takes LOTS of stretching exercises. For example, have you seen Tae Kwon Do experts do those high kicks? During a 2 to 3 hour class of Tae Kwon Do, students spend about 30 minutes to an hour stretching.

Good luck and God bless!
    Whoah, I think a 2 or 3 hour class is too long. We usually do around 10 minutes of stretching, and told to do the same stretching at home. Also, people are born with different flexibility (unfortunately, I'm not very flexible). The good new is that you can make yourself flexible by stretching. One stretch position for at least 60 seconds is appropriate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keith_aquino
    Whoah, I think a 2 or 3 hour class is too long.
    sorry, I should've clarified.

That's how long the Tae Kwon Do (and Karate-do) classes were (actually 3 hours) when I was in grade school and high school. The 2 classes would start at the same time in our school gym on saturdays (only once a week. that's why they were 3 hours).

I was in the Karate-do class and we used to watch the Tae-Kwon-Do students stretch (taught then by Stephen Fernandez and Eugee [sp?] Rodriguez) and be amazed at how much time they spend on just stretching (and of course how flexible they were compared to us). Most of the higher belts could do full leg splits.
    Last edited by MikeJ; 09-02-2005 at 10:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(off-topic) FYI:

The Tae-Kwon-Do instructor I mentioned (Stephen Fernandez), won the Bronze medal (of course in that martial art) in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.

Going back to stretching, I posted before in this forum that I read in Newsweek magazine that one of reasons why Michael Jordan was able to maintain his level of play was the fact that he spent a lot of time stretching.

check this out: The secrets of stretching

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok,
    so wich exercises do you gusy do?
    i mostly do teh windmill (feet apart, and touch your left toe with your right hand, and vica versa...legs strait of course.) in about 5 weeks i coudl almost touch my toe's.
    and i stretch up my groin now and then .. i sit un my but. place the soles of my feet against each other, and press slowely on my knee's.

any other excercises?

btw. Jake Downey doesnt have a copyright on excercises and tips..so you can post what he says in short but no direct quotes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stretch reflex is true, try stretching the furthest you can for about min, then reach down a little more, then a little more... by the ehnd of it you should reach further down by alot more, because your stretch reflex is getting use to the extensive stretching, allowing your muscle fibers to stretch further and further.
    my old hurdles and sprinting coach told me your muscles are like elastics, you need to warm them up first, if you stretch an elastic when its cold, it will snap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Flexibity

hey,can u still become flexable at the young teenage years? like flexbity as being kicking ur legs in air without it bending and doing splits.(flexblity in ur legs)if so how,any techinques? i'm willing to train for 3 years if i have to,to accomplish this.thx =)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes this is totally accomplishable, if ur willing to endure some pain. the main thing is you need to stretch until you feel like you cant go any further. then you need to hold that for a good 30 seconds. Also, dont bounce down and back up, that doesnt help at all.

i went to a martial arts school in china when i was 14, and at 5"6 i couldnt even bring my leg up higher than my waist. you might not believe the next part, but i was able to do the splits more or less in 1 week and a half!!! my coach pushed on me like crazy when i was stretching. i couldnt really walk for a week without feeling pain in my hamstrings.jus goes to show that chinese coaches are insane when it comes to training/conditioning. they did the exact thing to this 5 yr old. he was crying for hours, and he was afraid of the coach evrytime he came around, but after a month, he's like a machine.

off course im not saying, push yourself like crazy, and injure yourself, but you need to be feeling a stretch to make progress. i dont think it will take 3 yrs. maybe like 3-6 months tops.

maintaining ur flexibility is a lot easier than improving your flexibility though. Its 12 days before my 16th birthday and i jus need to stretch it once in a while, and it takes less effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oo thx happy brithday

but umm..what is the techinque =) lol(i cant kick above my waist lol, i want to =))

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CkcJsm
    oo thx happy brithday

but umm..what is the techinque =) lol(i cant kick above my waist lol, i want to =))
    lol i meant before i couldnt even bring my leg straight above waist level, thats all (ie. i was REALLY really NOT flexible)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea me too, but what was the techinque for the splits thingy =)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd suggest you start by lifting your foot with the whole leg straight to the highest point it can go until you begin to feel your hamstrings stretch. Remember that height and look for a chair, table, cabinet or any stable form of furniture at that same height you can rest your foot on without losing any sense of balance and use that to stretch yourself. One foot on the floor, the other using that furniture as support. Keep your legs straight and try to bend your upper torso towards that lifted foot as far as possible.
    Once you have achieved that flexibility, look for a higher piece of furniture until you are ready to rest your foot on the wall like those taekwondo fighters...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by qinglong
    I'd suggest you start by lifting your foot with the whole leg straight to the highest point it can go until you begin to feel your hamstrings stretch. Remember that height and look for a chair, table, cabinet or any stable form of furniture at that same height you can rest your foot on without losing any sense of balance and use that to stretch yourself. One foot on the floor, the other using that furniture as support. Keep your legs straight and try to bend your upper torso towards that lifted foot as far as possible.
    Once you have achieved that flexibility, look for a higher piece of furniture until you are ready to rest your foot on the wall like those taekwondo fighters...
    thats exactly wat i did, cept there was a person that was pushing you down and it just makes you want to scream on the inside

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, btw qinglong can u kick above ur waist now? lol

and how about being an adult can u still do it? =)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast