Badminton Asia, the Launch Issue.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by franxon, May 11, 2006.

1. franxon

franxon Regular Member

I hereby introduce you guys the first badminton magazine in my life: Badminton Asia the launch issue.

This is a funny magazine: it lacks quite some a badminton mag should have and it has quite some a badminton mag shouldn't.

Anyway, it's still the best in town, because it's the only one. No competition.

S$10, in a sealed plastic bag. So you have no idea what it says before it's yours.

What it lacks? Well, quite some. First of all, I can't find the date of the issue. Every magazine/journal should have it, I guess? It states only on the spine Vol. 1 No.1. From the contents/events it looks like somewhere between the All England and the Thomas & Uber Cup. March or April I guess.

Also I can't find is the frequency of the magazine. Weekly? Bi-weekly? Monthly or Bi-monthly? I was joking to myself that perhaps the editors didn't know when they could print the next issue.

There is a section "Equiptment". Well, please don't expect too much. Or you'll be as disappointed and suprised as I was. Filled in are all Ads. (It also crosslinks to my next paragraph: What it has).

So, what it has? Ads of gears and clothes, without tech specs though. Models with badminton clothes, shorts/skirts, shoes and rackets, who posed in the very professional way as models, but very un-professional as badminton players.

There is one interview on Tony Gunawan and Candra Wijaya. Fun to read.

There is also an interview of a few respected coaches on the top guns in men's singles, Lin Dan, Taufik, Peter Gade and Lee Chong Wei. Insightful.

There are articles on the changes of IBF and on IBF officals. Boring.

What I really want to single out from the advertisements is the Aston Martin DB9, advertised by their Singapore dealer. I must say they have a good taste: very very rarely advertise this exotic breed in any media, they chose badminton. My number one car with my number one sports. Hmmm, I like it.

Anyway, it's my first badminton magazine. No matter how much I expected and got disappointed, I'd like to have the next issue if there will be one.

2. newjazz

newjazz Regular Member

typist
    hey.. where did u buy that mag?

3. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
  4. franxon

franxon Regular Member

NewLink Sports, Queensway Shopping Centre #02-36 Tel: 6476-3774

5. fanatic

fanatic Regular Member

thanks IBF

guess what guys n gals! i got my copy today! so nice of IBF to send me the copy. its a fabulous mag. i will definately dig in my pocket id there's a 2nd edition or the following editions.

thanks IBF!

6. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    Never heard of a badminton mag before. Hell it takes a couple of hundreds in the editors hand just to get badminton into the paper!!

Wouldnt mind checking it out though, but it wont be available in Aust.

7. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

Is it available in Malaysia and where can i get it?

8. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Please, the mag is great. Don't diss it :p There are lots of very insightful articles in there, Some of which you didn't mention was the article about mental toughness, nutritions, game-time strategies and etc. IMO, the amount of info you get out of this magazine far justifies the amount of ad they put into it. Heck open up any other magazine, you'd look at just as many ads :D And its good for badminton anyway.

9. franxon

franxon Regular Member

well, i enjoyed it, as much as you did. and i'll definitely buy the next issue and the next next issue. but as the launch issue it might be a bit inadequate, from my point of view. perhaps i just expected more.:D

#9 franxon, May 22, 2006
    Last edited: May 22, 2006
  10. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Yup,

Got the complementary copy . Maybe the 1st in Borneo to receive it.

Preeeety good stuff.

didn't notice Singapore Team in the Asian Badminton Nations Dominance review.

Cheers

11. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    I got my copy a few weeks ago and some comments:

1) Pretty good quality printing. At least they make an effort.

2) Not very well organized. Like the OP said, some things are not well indicated on the magazine.

3) Equipment section. Boring. Please, cutie female models and sissy male ones are not good badminton models. Get some actual players to model. With the kind of money badminton is paying, they will very gladly do it for the fee.

3) Equipment section. It shows the gear on the models but doesn't talk about them. Perhaps some kind of review or description would help most people who didn't spend hours on BC reading reviews and discussion threads.

4) Content. Its still a little thin in substance. This issue seems more like an introduction into the world of badminton with articles about most of the teams, movers and shakers, tourist info on tournament venues, etc. I just hope they do not run out of IBF or other association's council members to interview.

5) I would hope that they have match reviews or some kind of analysis of recent matches. Well, something in that shape or form...

6) IT would be good to have some feature-aka-centrefold of some big name player every issue. Adds to the celebrity value.

These are just my personal comments.

12. event

event Regular Member

By "in town", do you mean that this was published in Singapore? You can't mean the only one in Asia. Where is it published? Is it in English? In a country with so many badminton fans (relatively speaking), is there a market for the magazines from China and England? Is there one published in Indoesia that would be accessible to speakers of Bahasa Melayu? Badminton magazines seem to be few and far between. We seem to have as many in Korea as there are in the rest of the Asia put together. Someone please prove me wrong. I've seen mention of this Chinese magazine, as well as one called Badminton in England (which must be the one this cover came from) and there is one in the Philippines mentioned here but the link actually brings up a site under construction but entitle Badminton Asia. So that's it, then? Three in Korea and three in the rest of the world? Considering how little people here care about badminton, that's quite surprising.

13. event

event Regular Member

Okay five in the rest of the world. There is one in Japan. A member from the Philippines mentions another magazine called Inquirer Badminton in this thread, too.

#13 event, May 23, 2006
    Last edited: May 23, 2006
  14. terry

terry Regular Member

I tried look many places like MPH, News.com etc still cannot find the mag. If someone in KL find the mag pls pls pls post here Tq

15. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    I don't know about KL, but in Singapore, I bought it in Sportslink chain of sports stores.

16. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I think they will sell it during the Aviva Spore Open.

17. franxon

franxon Regular Member

Thanks Event for your reply and by "in town" i mean where i live, i.e. singapore. Badminton Asia is published in Hong Kong, in English. I didn't mean it the only one in Asia (Asia is not a "town" :D), I came across a mag called "Tennis and Badminton" in china 15 years ago, in chinese, that's the first badminton mag i ever read but this Badminton Asia is the first i ever had.

I know there's this /Badminton/ in England, but i can't seem to find it here in singapore, either in bookshops or libraries. anyone who has an access, pls help.

the three korean badminton mags make you korean badminton fans so fortunate that you have your own mags and there are THREE!!! but unfortunately i can't read a single word of it. :( if you don't mind, why not introduce some insightful articles to us?

i heard there's a badminton comics in Japanese some time ago but there's no English version that I heard of. otherwise i'll definitely get it though the last comics i read was some 20 years ago.

any info about badminton books, mags etc you're welcome to share here. we have ppl here who speak any language that badminton speaks with english being the common language, so let's start the ball rolling.

18. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

having problem finding it in Kuala Lumpur, is there any Malaysian who knows where to buy it?

19. madman

madman Regular Member

Got mine copy.

Got it yesterday at Sportslink Eastpoint Mall, S$10. There was a copy for browsing before you decide to buy. Haven't actually read it so have no comments about it yet. However, from a quick browse, it would appear that it has more glamour than substance with the slick print and good paper quality. Here's is how the cover looks like.

[​IMG]

20. madman

madman Regular Member

Oops..... the jpg file did not pop out into the screen. Let me try to upload instead as attachment....

Attached Files: