Flex740

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by KooGuy, May 11, 2006.

1. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member

I saw this stringing machine on Eagnas's web site for $219US. Anyone has experience buying this unit and have it ship to Toronto, Canada? What is the estimated brokerage/duty charges?:confused:

Thanks.

2. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

I had one sent to me a few years back (I had it sent to my work in Ingersoll). I asked that it be sent by usps and they marked it somthing like professional sample. I did not have to pay any duties or taxes and the post office handles the brokerage for $5. I does take quite a while to get to me, I think around 5 weeks.

3. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member

Thanks for the info. How is the machine so far in terms of quality and stringing jobs? I kind of hesitate to buy it because of the low price but would like some opinion from someone who has used it for a while.

4. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

I have not had any problems with the machine. One bf'er purchased one and said that the racheting part was crooked. I did have one problem recently and what happened was that the racket shifted as I was pulling one of the cross strings near the top. That scared me as it warped the racket. So I added a screw down piece at the head and it's pretty solid now.

5. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member

Hmmm...racheting problem and potentially need some sort of screw down piece. Just wondering how you add the screw down piece? You have some pictures available. Thanks again.

6. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

Sorry but I don't have any pictures. Basically I threaded the post at the head part way down. Then I simply added a piece that I can thread down to clamp the top of the racket. I just made it out of a couple of scap pieces of oak and it seems to work ok. If I get real ambitious I may redo it out of white plastic then it will look prettier :)

7. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member

ryeung,

Thanks for the info. I'll take the risk and get this one when I go down to US next month. By the way where do you play badminton in Ontario?

8. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

Genreally play in Woodstock as I am only 10 minutes away. I tried to play one day a week in Kitchener last year but I have to seriously reconsider for the next season. It is just too far to drive (about an hour each way for me) and the gas is just killing me. In addition I usually play 3 times a week in Woodstock so the 4th day is just a killer.

9. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member

I got my Flex 740 over the weekend. The machine is not bad, everything works, no issue with the racheting part but not that efficient when compare to Gamma's. For $219US, I think the machine is a bargain! However, my main purpose is to get the Flex 740 to retrofit my foot-pedal drop weight system which is more efficient than most drop weight system out there. I did the conversion and it works well but will need some improvement to make it looks better.

I'll upload a picture when completed.

10. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member

Here are some pictures...sorry the picture didn't come out.

11. Alexccs

Alexccs Regular Member

Stringer ES8protech
    Nice job.
    What is the advantage the retrofit foot-pedal over drop-weight system?

12. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member

Advantage
    ========
    1. My drop-weight system has no spring to break, all mechanical compare to others (LaserFibre is an exception) which use a spring.
    2. More efficient/speed in stringing using foot pedal since my hands are free.
    3. At most 2 drops are required to get the level horizontal. Only one drop is required towards the side of the rackets.

I have that machine for more than 20 years and in terms of maintenace, just a little WD40 is required or may be a fresh coat of paint. It will out last me for sure or may be my grandchildren...:D

#13 KooGuy, Jun 29, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  13. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

can you re-up the pics? im very interested in the flex 740. hows it holding up?

14. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member