Opinions on people who use fake racquets

Discussion in 'Identify Fake Racket (Price/Source/Serial/Photos a' started by Brydhadayre, May 11, 2006.

1. Brydhadayre

Brydhadayre New Member

I was wondering what are some of your opinions on people who use fake raquets, whether they know it is fake or not.

Also, how are using fake raquets for beginners?

I'm asking because I recently recieved a fake Yonex NS7000 (serial # from 2008 :eek:) and I dont' want to use it if it will hinder my playing in any way.

Thanx.

2. eizmed

eizmed Regular Member

Doctor
    Some fakes are ok in terms of performance so don't really make that much a difference especially if you are a beginner.

But of course generally, the quality of fakes are no good.

Rackets however, are not as important as footwork, technique / skill and fitness. If you have all the above, you can adapt to any decent racket and still play well.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Some so-call "well made" fakes are not too horrible in performance. However, there's no standard behind it. Say, I like this racket's performance, and want to get 1-2 backup, and the chance is pretty low. Because no one knows what's really under the paint. With the same amount you spend (unless you get it like US$20 through asian black market), you can simply pick up a well made rackets from a reputable non-yonex brand, which also offers great performance, and more important, a legit company in behind to offer reponsibility.

Most of fakes only have similar paint as Yonex, and the performance/durability are horrible. Because the sellers just need to fool your eyes, and cutting down cost (horrible products) is the only way and only intend to boost up profit margin. There's no warranty for fakes of course, and bad quality control can also increase the chance of injury.

If you don't have enough $$$ to get a Yonex, settle on a reputable non-yonex is the way to go. Spending $$$ on a fake, is wasting $$$ on a long run.

4. itchy monkey

itchy monkey Regular Member

jobless
    i used to have lots of fake yonex rackets bought from cambodia and vietnam for my personal use only, and i have to say there isn't much different in performance compared to a real one. from my many years of experience with a fake, durability is the only main concern other than that it's perfect :)

5. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    I would feel I wasted my money. I pesonally wouldn't use a fake.

6. DietCokeMan

DietCokeMan Regular Member

Hi guys. This is my first time to join this forum, so nice to meet u all.:)

I totally agree with eizmed. If u give a fake racket to a prof, he or she will adapt the racket very quick.

Anyway, for me, doesn't matter whether it's fake or real. As long as I like the racket i'll stick with it.

In terms of performance or quality, I dun think there is much different, even some are better than the original, like carbonex 21.

7. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

Never knew there was a Newcastle in Australia (pardon my ignorance).

Fake raquets can be made in any factory; some factories make better fakes than anothers. So it is difficult to know whether the racquet will break into pieces and impale your opponent.

Please refer to the thread about a girl being killed by a broken shaft:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23645
    If you play against someone using a fake racquet, will you be as confident as her that this won't happen??

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I've heard this kind of comments many many times, and I think there's a need we need to clarify something:

1. It different in term of "performance" vs. "quality". A racket (be it's a fake or not) fits for player A, but might not for player B. However, it does not have anything to do with the quality. I can say, my Saturn fits me better than a BMW, but it does not mean it has superior quality over BMW.

2. Fake rackets are generally loved by club / recreational lvl players. Usually, fakes are light and flex, which is easier for lower lvl players to use. Of course, the light and flex nature also is a result of using crappy material + poor workmanship.

3. Regardless whatever you like, transactions involved with fakes (yeah, even you are a buyer) is considered as breaking the law. :( It's like, you can invest whatever operating systems you like, but if you put it under the name of Microsoft Windows, you are against the law, regardless it works better or not. :cool:

9. DietCokeMan

Hi jcl49

Surprise hah? hehe...first time i came here i was surprise like you. Even I couldn't believe overhere it's used to be a training centre for New South Wales team and Tse Yu used to stay in the badminton hall here (if you don't know him...he used to be no. 3 in the world in 1980's)

Anyway..of course I can't guarantee that won't happen to anyone, but real racket doesn't mean it's a good quality or performance. I had used so many real rackets and I broke a lot as well. Oh yea...just 2 weeks ago, someone broke the Armotec 800 Off racket 'coz he missed hit it and break the shaft of Fleet racket too and they're original bought in Australia.

To LazyBuddy,
    Fake rackets aren't used by club/recreational level players only. I don't know in US, but there are lots of good players are using the fake one, even in the national level, especially in Indonesia where fake rackets can be found easily. If you think that lower level players only use them, you are totally wrong buddy. A high level player can use any types of rackets no matter what, whether it's a cheapo brand or not. If you have a strong wrist and technique, low quality rackets can become a good one.:D

Of course it's considered breaking the law, but hey, let's face it..everyone in the world did that...not just me. I come from poor family. I used to earn money from playing badminton in my hometown state, but it's not much and now I'm in aussie and bloody hell, rackets here are so expensive, double the price compared to my hometown. It's up to the individual who's using it, i think.:rolleyes:

10. blueagle

blueagle Regular Member

it really is a matter of preference. whether it's a fake or not as long as it helps you play well. footwork and technique is more important.

11. DietCokeMan

Amin to that blueagle....i totally agree with you. If a low level player uses the new nanospeed 9000 racket (original), it doesn't mean the racket itself can make him become a high level player without proper footwork and technique.:D The differences between low and high level players are their stroke and footwork, not because of their preference of fake or real rackets.

#11 DietCokeMan, May 15, 2006
    Last edited: May 15, 2006
  12. zuihoujueding

zuihoujueding Regular Member

A good player who feels comfortable with his racket, no matter real or fake, will probably enjoy more or even winning the game.
    Agreed with most people here mentioned many times, a good player determines the outcome and not the racket at all.
    And how is it illegal when you buy a racket with a different brand and name on it, even thou its paint is similar? its still a registered company.
    I've been using the so call 'fake' or i should put it 'cloned' ever since i started badminton and never look back in buying a yonex. main reason is the pricing. performance, you decide. I can get at least two cloned rackets for the price of one yonex, so why not? do the maths! :p

13. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

Without getting too much in the line of fire, I would like to clear up the following:

Fake racquets are not equivalent to cloned racquets. Fake racquet are not made in factories with properly supervised production lines. Cloned racquets are made in reputable factories and carry warantee.

14. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Fake rackets: I do not care how the racket is made, or how well it's made (if at all), or for product support from the company. I only care that it's cheap.

I call this the "Walmart" mentality.

-dave

15. DietCokeMan

1. Fake or not, good performance/quality or bad one, it doesn't work like that in badminton, not like a car (if i'm not wrong to wat you were referring to). In badminton, the quality/performance of the player determines the outcome, not the racket. Of course if A likes the raket, doesn't mean B likes the racket and I totally agree with you in this point.;)

2. Fake or not, depends on individual's preference. Light and flex is not always the result of poor workmanship or material. How about Kennex or Carlton? They have super flex rackets...Are they fake rackets? Also, fake are not usually easy for low level players. The hitting technique is the factor here. Eventhough they use super light rackets, they still can't hit far if they don't use their wrist and proper hitting technique. Low level players should use a heavy one to train their wrist. If a high level player likes to use a fake one, does it make him becomes a low level player?

3. Well...it's the individual's preference again. If he/she thinks tat way, he/she can choose not to buy. There are so many imitations out there using different brand though. Why can they sell in the market?

#15 DietCokeMan, May 15, 2006
    Last edited: May 15, 2006
  16. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Fake rackets destroys the market. Who would want to innovate and produce quality new rackets when somebody can simply produce fakes and spoil the name of the original producers? People who buy fakes are simply support thieves.

You wouldn't like it if someone fakes your product and uses your name for their own gain. There's always cheaper brands available. Fakes? No-no.

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    My whole point of my previous post, was not "better racket produces better players". Myself tried many different brands, and picked out several gems out of them, be it Yonex or not. However, all the brands are legit business units, are perfectly reputable, and have soild company policy to back off any incidents.

Fakes are against the law. It's like drugs, or other crimes. Yes, from the news, we know everyday some ppl do this or that bad stuff, but do you think "as long as others do it, i should join?" Maybe that's your policy, but not mine.

Yes, Yonex rackets are expensive. However, I never forced anyone to buy the latest, top of the line Yonex rackets. You can settle for mid range rackets, or use the same $$$ to shop with in other reputable non-Yonex brands. If you are short on $$$, save for several weeks/months more, but don't help the fake to spread. :mad:

18. heijihattori

heijihattori Regular Member

former uni student...sales consultant
    I used to have some Yonex fakes a relative bought for me overseas (they thought it was real beacuse it had the PBSI logo on it...lol) and both are broken now (1 head and 1 crack in head)...so I can say firsthand that fake raquets are not made to last long..could just be my bad experience but overall I would rather go for a cheap legit brand than go for a fake yonex anyday...at least I know my money is going somewhere worthy of it.

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Man, you are totally missing my point:

1.1 I don't care about my partner or opponents' performance, whether they settle with a suitable or un-suitable rackets. But I do care about my SAFETY on court. To be worst, with no legit business unit back off the FAKE. If something happened, who's taking the responsibility??? Sure, you saved $50 for a fake racket, but you might as well put your and other people's safety in danger, which is very selfish.

1.2 FAkes have no standard. Say I have a legit AT800DE, if i want a backup, I can just go to pick up another legit AT800DE. If I switch between them during a game (e.g. string snaps), I don't have to spend time to get used to a new racket. The fakes are fakes. Two so-call AT800DE might be totally different racket, only with similar paint. Of course the performance takes a big cut when you try to switch in between them.

1.3 It's not fair to compare different rackets used by different individuals. You should compare the same person's performance, when he uses 2 different rackets. Sure, if Lin Dan uses a fake racket, he still can beat me with his eyes closed. However, he mostly will play better, with a legit racket, if the racket suits for his own style.

2. I never said light / flex is bad. Actually that's my own preference as well. I said FAKE are usually light / flex, because of poor material / workmanship. That's different than a legit racket, which is light/flex, which means special technology / material. The real racket is light and flex in a positive to help your performance. The fake is light and flex, simply only result in bad durability, which raises my safety concern.

3. Again, some outlaws like to do business the illegal way, to boost up profit margin. You have your choice, to support them, or to stay away. :cool:

20. ijnek

ijnek Regular Member

engineer
    tis is wat i feel...
    it would hurt mi if i know i have bought a fake un-intentionally.

also,on the lighter side,if i can't win well,at least i lose while looking good.
    hahahaha