Legal or illegal?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Tux, Aug 8, 2000.

1. Tux

Tux Guest

<html>This is hard one, my friend , uses a very weird method of handling the game. Every time when a backhand stance is needed, he just CHANGES the racket from a hand to another and uses a forehand drive or smash to counter, making it also difficult to return (or a light drop, he always counter by standing near the net to finish).He also uses an drive-like serve which is very fast and the return will be light as there is no time to swing (the bird below the net) Is the exchange of racket while in the game and the serve legal? <br>
    </html>

2. Ben

Ben Guest

<html>The serve is definitely legitimate, as long as it is executed below the waist. As for the changing of arms, do u see that happening in international competitions? Tell him that.<br>
    </html>

3. Patrick

Patrick Guest

<html>: The serve is definitely legitimate, as long as it is executed below the waist. As for the changing of arms, do u see that happening in international competitions? Tell him that.<p>I don't think that it's illegal to change which hand he holds the racquet with actually. Agreed no one does it, but it doesn't mean that it's wrong.<br>
    </html>

4. Pat

Pat Guest

<html> It certainly looks ugly to change hands during a game .It also reflects the player's inability to backhand .This may be used to the opponent's advantage..........<p>
    </html>

5. John

John Guest

<html>: It certainly looks ugly to change hands during a game .It also reflects the player's inability to backhand .This may be used to the opponent's advantage..........<p>As far as I know, its not illegal. If your friend can smoke you playing with both hands and only using forehand shots, all the more to him. Eventually, someone out there will be pushing the bird too fast for him to switch hands, and that's when he'll stop and you'll get to see if his backhand is as strong as his forehand shots.<br>
    </html>

6. rules & regulations ?

<html>Please tell me the net height and other dimentions. I'm buying good quality stuff and want to do it right. thanks.<br>
    </html>

7. Andrew

Andrew Guest

can umpire call service fault?

My question is whether an umpire is allowed to call a sevice fault. Anybody knows the rule and tell me which section of the rules give or do not give the umpire the authority to call a service fault. I have always thought the umpire is not allow to call a service fault because of parallel effect.

8. RE: can umpire call service fault?

First: Tux,
    Changing of hands is, as others have alraedy stated, perfectly legal. The drive service is a slightly different matter.
    A service should be hit as follows: at the time of delivery, 1. the whole of the shuttle should be below the servers waist;
    2. the whole of the rackethead should be decernably below the
    the whole of the server's hand holding the racket.
    There are other ristrictions as well, but these two are the ones which relate to your question. Mind even using these two
    rules, good players can still hit quit a flat service.

Second: Jeff
    You will find all measures and dimentions on www.intbadfed.org. This is the official site of the International Badminton
    Federation. There, among other things, you will find the Laws of Badminton, including diagrams with dimentions.

Third: Andrew
    In terms of Badminton Law, an umpire can give a service fault. When a special service judge is appointed, the umpire will
    not give service faults, except in the case where the server stands on the (centre) line and the server obstructs the
    a service judge's view on this line. When there is no service judge appointed, the responsibillities of this official will be taken
    over by the umpire. Mind, since judging services is all about angles, calling service faulfs from the umpires chair is
    extremely difficult. The Laws that you are looking for, are 17.2, 17.3, 17.6.5 and 17.6.6. You will find the most recent text on
    www.intbadfed.org.

9. Dude

Dude Guest

Your question regarding changing hands & service rule is answered well here.

Your wanna tip regarding returning flat quick serves?

Put your racquet up in front of you. Quicker the serve is flicked, the quicker it will hit your racquet and be returned to him. Just practice a little and show that you can return those serves right back at the server before they can recover from their service motion.

gluck

10. Nelson

Nelson Guest

Anyone wishes to challenge a player in Malaysia who will only play with one leg throughout the 21-point game? He plays for money...
    There's also a guy who play with another hand holding a chair...also for money...