doubles problem

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by sarangu_susheel, May 12, 2006.

1. sarangu_susheel

sarangu_susheel New Member

hello we are two players on is depective style and the other is offensive , the offensive has a little bit weakness in backhand , so who should play at the front and who should at the back , please mail to sarangu_susheel@yahoo.com

2. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Can you explain a little more when you say one player is defensive and the other is offensive?

Cheers!

3. sarangu_susheel

you ask me what to explain

4. blinan8088

blinan8088 Regular Member

IT Programmer
    Well, commonly in the attacking position, the defensive player or the playmaker should be in the front and the smashing player should be in the back. And in defensive position, both of the players cover the wide range of the court, try to push the opponent to lift the shuttlecock so they can be back to attacking position. CMIIW.

5. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

When I hear the term defensive player versus offensive player, I think of a player who has the ability (or preference) to hit certain shots & strategies of one type over the other. Example

The offensive player prefer to hit smashes and force their opponent to make a weak return.

The defensive player prefer to allow their opponent to smash & drop "but has the ability" to return the shot causing their opponent to make a mistake.

I do not use the term offensive & defensive player to describe the player at the back of the court and the front of the court, respectively.

But back to your question, "who should play at the front and who should at the back" should be based on the ability to make certain shots and skills.

(1) who has the better smashes, drops, drives, attacking clear, and footwork?
    (2) who has the better netshots, blocks, and quicker reaction time?
    (3) what is the 3 weakest skill of each player? ex/ backhand, footwork, stamina, etc.

Remember in doubles, one player does not stay at the front and the other at the back, doubles players rotate based on the rally.

Cheers!

#5 Break-My-String, May 13, 2006
    Last edited: May 13, 2006
  6. sarangu_susheel

thank you
    for your reply

7. joshww81

joshww81 Regular Member

hi there...

i just wanted to add on another question to yours. i play at times with another guy who's strongest skill is in smashing and he tends to be fairly quick. we've sort of come to an agreement that he'd play the back and i the front, but i realised that with this combination, i dont get to hit much and he ends up covering most of the court. perhaps it might be that i'm too passive when i play with him who's really offensive, or that my defence is rather weak.

we also have lost all the games we've played because we've got a loophole in our style of play that seems exploitable. otherwise we'd be making unforced errors. i try my best to make the opponent lift so that my partner can smash...that is if i get to have the shuttle.

just thought if you might have any suggestions on how to improve the game? will be training my backhand and interception of smashes (which i'm really really weak at).

but apart from that, in terms of doubles strategy, should we try rotating more? should i stand back further rather than at the front line? anticipate the shots more? should i be following the ball (meaning opening a gap at times?)

thanks for your help

#7 joshww81, May 18, 2006
    Last edited: May 18, 2006
  8. joshww81

joshww81 Regular Member

hi, forgot to add that i feel lost during these games because i cover so little ground that i dont really know what to do. and because of my weakness in retrieving smashes, i usually can't get them.

#8 joshww81, May 18, 2006
    Last edited: May 18, 2006