User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 43

Thread: Wilson rackets

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Wilson rackets

    Hello,

    Looking at the current threads I am just wondering if I am the only one playing with Wilson rackets. I started out playing badminton with cheaper Yonex rackets, but the last, say, 5 years I have been playing with Wilson rackets; Hyper Carbon 7.0, V2 and V6. I think they are great, even if Hyper Carbon 7.0 in particular has a really different feel from std Yonex rackets. However, I have not been playing much with good Yonex rackets and so I can't really tell how they are compared with the Wilson V2 for example. Am I missing out on something? Just wondering if there are some opinions out here. The Wilson rackets are expensive as *#¤! is that why so few play with them? (Or are they just too much tennis and squash? )

    -Sverre

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SF bay area
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If it fits you well, don't be too concerned. Borrow someone's high-end racket (some shops let you try out, too)
    to see if the differences are good for you.

    My partner plays with US$20 (or $25?) Wilson rackets. Can't remember model so can be completely different from what you have. They are good for the money, but in his mind it's not in the same league compared to high-end Yonex. I tried his Wilson briefly and share his opinion, will consider them only as cheap back-up, not main racket.

    My main racket is Victor Super Nano (Ti-98 before it was broken)

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mettayogi
    If it fits you well, don't be too concerned. Borrow someone's high-end racket (some shops let you try out, too) to see if the differences are good for you.
    Ok, thanks mate. I appreciate your opinion.

    I think however that my Wilson rackets must be different from the ones your friend is using, as all three I mentioned costs around 150USD or more even. But they did not have them in the shops in Norway (too small market for high-end rackets they say) so they ordered them specially for me. I think Hyper Carbon 7.0 is not produced anymore, however.

    I have occationally swapped rackets with some of the guys in my club without finding an eye-raising difference any way, so I am not too concerned. I was more surprised that nobody mention them here at all. But the top racket models from Yonex and Forza are the main choices in Norwegian clubs.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    960
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hey there, I just got a complete set of Wilson nCode 1-6 rackets. It was a free demo samples from a badminton shop.

    Anyways, just finished stringing all the rackets with BG-80 to 28lbs per spec. Will try them out tonight and let you know how each feels.

    I already like the feel of n6 just by swinging the racket. The n2 (90g) has a long & stiff shaft, not really my type of racket, but I'm sure it will come in handy later for any hard smashing double games.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    960
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up Wilson nCode 1-6 Review.

    Ok, here is a quick Wilson nCode 1-6 review.
    n1, 3, 5 are basically the same racket with some difference in shaft stiffness.
    I smashed about 40 shuttles each and here is what I have determined.
    n1 and n3 have very stiff shaft, smashing was very powerful with a solid feel. n5 has a medium stiff shaft, I didn't see or feel much difference. These 3 rackets are all head heavy and are great for Doubles power smashing games. I don't recommend it for Single player, unless you're the smashing single type player. The BG-80 string made it easy to control the shuttle at the net play. Overall I give these rackets a 7 out of 10. 10 being the best.

    I did the same for n2, 4, 6. About 60 smashes each. I really liked the control in these rackets. Has a much better feel to the smashes. Not as head heavy as the n1, 3, 5. There is a weight difference in the n2, 4, 6 rackets, 84, 86, 88g respectively. Racket length is different too, 674, 670, 664mm respectively. n2 has a medium stiff shaft making it more suitable for attacking/smashing players, n4 has a high flex shaft making it suitable for all players, and n6 has a super flex shaft making it suitable for defensive players. I personally like the n6 very much, the light racket feel made it much easier for me to control my opponents smashes and quicker reflexes to return shots. BG-80 on the racket made it play much more solid and the sound of 28lbs tension is super. Overall I give these rackets a 8.5 out of 10.

    Any questions , please let me know if you plan on purchasing one of these.
    I'll try to help answer any of your questions.

    And yes, I get to keep these sample rackets.....
    Attached Images Attached Images      

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    how the hell did u land free demos of n1-6??? do u get to keep them?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Manila
    Posts
    471
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hi, i am a newbie in using wilson... i just bought new wilson racket. and i found number written there in the shaft. it said 80g and i noticed different wilson rackets have different number. What does those numbers means? Thank ou

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    never tried them but i can say that wilson rackets look pretty chic.

    btw, dun worry. if the racket fits you, it should be good. for example, i bought the 2u version of mp99 and my fren told me that i should have gotten the 3u version. so, i tried his 3u mp99. i had problem adjusting to it. could barely hit a single shuttle. the 2u version suited me more. moral of the story, no one glove fits all hands.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksakti
    hi, i am a newbie in using wilson... i just bought new wilson racket. and i found number written there in the shaft. it said 80g and i noticed different wilson rackets have different number. What does those numbers means? Thank ou
    Hi,
    I am not an expert at all, but if you think about the xU and xG numbers I am quite sure that the number before the U describes the range in which the weight of the racket lies and likewise the number before the G describes the size/type of the handle/grip of the racket.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viper2005
    Any questions , please let me know if you plan on purchasing one of these. I'll try to help answer any of your questions.
    Great post and what a great deal for you! Can you arrange the same deal for the rest of us?

    I guess you would call me a "smasher". I play equal amounts of singles and doubles. My current doubles partner in the league games is quite the opposite with a much more control/defensive game and tricky shots up his sleeve all the way to his neck. We have had some success with him usually setting up the points and leaving it for me to kill them off.

    The Hyper Carbon 7.0 was a head-heavy racket, and I guess playing with that for 3 years made me develop my baseline rally - smash kind of game, but unfortunately I managed to break the handle of the HC 7.0 in a freakish smash. Ever since I have been playing with more even balanced rackets (V2 and V6) and feeling that it is really difficult to make a real kick-ass smash with them. However, I feel they are much better with net game and also easier/quicker to manouvre in defence, making them more suitable for developing my singles game. (When playing singles with better players I seldom get to smash as much as I like anyway... )

    But to the point: From your post I guess n1, 3 or 5 could be worth a while to test out for my doubles. A particular choice from the three of them?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    960
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by tangy
    how the hell did u land free demos of n1-6??? do u get to keep them?
    You want the story? Here is the short version.
    I was playing in a local club and a new player needed a partner, no one wanted to play with him, so I volunteered. Afterwards, he introduced himself to me and complimented on my game.
    We became friends and he asked me to visit his sports shop the next day.
    While at his shop, he gave me a complete set of nCode rackets and wanted me to show them to my students and friends. I guess he wanted me to do some marketing for him. Anyways, I agreed and thanked him.

    Moral of the story is, be nice, play with everyone (even if they are really really bad players), you may be rewarded later.

    Hope this answers your question.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    960
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksakti
    hi, i am a newbie in using wilson... i just bought new wilson racket. and i found number written there in the shaft. it said 80g and i noticed different wilson rackets have different number. What does those numbers means? Thank ou
    It's the racket weight.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    960
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by svp97
    Great post and what a great deal for you! Can you arrange the same deal for the rest of us?

    I guess you would call me a "smasher". I play equal amounts of singles and doubles. My current doubles partner in the league games is quite the opposite with a much more control/defensive game and tricky shots up his sleeve all the way to his neck. We have had some success with him usually setting up the points and leaving it for me to kill them off.

    The Hyper Carbon 7.0 was a head-heavy racket, and I guess playing with that for 3 years made me develop my baseline rally - smash kind of game, but unfortunately I managed to break the handle of the HC 7.0 in a freakish smash. Ever since I have been playing with more even balanced rackets (V2 and V6) and feeling that it is really difficult to make a real kick-ass smash with them. However, I feel they are much better with net game and also easier/quicker to manouvre in defence, making them more suitable for developing my singles game. (When playing singles with better players I seldom get to smash as much as I like anyway... )

    But to the point: From your post I guess n1, 3 or 5 could be worth a while to test out for my doubles. A particular choice from the three of them?
    Depending on your budget, I'd try the n1 first. String with BG-80 to 28 lbs and you have a nice racket for any smashing game.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Malaysia, JB n SNG
    Posts
    119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hi...newbie here.
    i have the n6.
    pretty good racket,like the light weight feel veri nice n makes mi feel tat i'm able to react faster.
    on the other hand,i'm jus a average player who is playin the game to enjoy n sweat out,so my comments might not b shared by all.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viper2005
    Depending on your budget, I'd try the n1 first. String with BG-80 to 28 lbs and you have a nice racket for any smashing game.
    Ok, thanks. But 28 pounds sounds a lot, I have never used more than 24 on my rackets. Maybe worth a try though, guess control is better, but I have seen rackets twist and break because of too high tension... hmmmm

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by utopia_imminent
    btw, dun worry. if the racket fits you, it should be good. for example, i bought the 2u version of mp99 and my fren told me that i should have gotten the 3u version. so, i tried his 3u mp99. i had problem adjusting to it. could barely hit a single shuttle. the 2u version suited me more. moral of the story, no one glove fits all hands.
    Yes, I see your point. It takes some time to adjust to a new racket as well, so frequent changing is out of the question really. But still good to know what's out there and test different stuff.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I owned a Wilson n90 though. It's very light and head light kinda racket. It looks nice too. I guess it's quite different from those n1-6 models.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FS: New Wilson Rackets - SF bay area.
    By prassi in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 0
    : 09-17-2011, 04:19 PM
  2. Wilson BLX Rackets? which's better?
    By kmyj92 in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 1
    : 10-17-2010, 04:34 AM
  3. So many different Wilson rackets...
    By Hierkommtnils in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 1
    : 09-19-2007, 05:13 AM
  4. Where can i find Wilson rackets in (SG)
    By ahlo123 in forum Market Place
    Replies: 1
    : 03-21-2007, 04:08 AM
  5. Wilson Rackets!!
    By hkm89 in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 8
    : 06-06-2006, 06:54 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •