Olympic And World Champion Taufik To Retire After The 2008 Olympics

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by ants, May 14, 2006.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    This is a real shocker guys!

The only player with the honour of capturing the Olympic and World Championship gold medals in the men's singles, wants to end his illustrious career another gold-medal performance in the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

"I hope to retire with a gold medal at the 2008 Olympics," said the 25-year-old Taufik.

"I have state my intentions to quit the national team to my coaches and they have given me the go ahead.

"Indonesia will not miss me as there are several talents who can fight on. Sony Dwi Kuncoro, Simon Santoso and Markus Wijanu have great potential. Although, the trio have not been performing well lately, I feel they will be at their prime in another three years."

Taufik's proudest moment was winning the 2004 Athens Olympics gold beating South Korean Shon Seung Mo in the final.

This feat was followed by his thumping victory in the world championships in Anaheim, California last year where overwhelmed the entire field with the kind of domination never witnessed in the major event before.

Taufik's meteoric rise began in 1997 where he started showcasing his immense talent at the world stage at a tender age of 16.

Under long time coach Muljo Handojo, Taufik was the most exciting young player on the International Badminton Federation (IBF) grand prix circuit and proved his potential by reaching consecutive All-England finals in 1999 and 2000.

Fame had the telling effect on Taufik as he attracted controversy by opting to play in Singapore for a brief period in 2000 and also regularly hampered by knee and back injuries during the period.

However, his off-court antics did not stop him from becoming Indonesia's most successful singles shuttler since the legendary Rudy Hartono as he went on winning every major title on offer.

Five Indonesian Open titles, the 2002 Busan Asian Games gold, The Asian Badminton Championships titles in 2000 and 2004, the 1999 Sea Games gold and numerous other grand prix titles were enough convince the fans that Taufik is indeed the King of Kings in his era.

There is only one title beckons for Taufik though. Despite his success, he has never won the All-England title and it is likely to be achieved before he retires.

Feated as a national hero back home, Taufik has also gained the reputation of speaking his mind even if it lands home in unwarranted problems.

Taufik almost retired due to his never-ending dispute with PBSI in 2003 but only changed his mind after his request to have Handojo, who was then a coach with the Singapore national team, back to guide him for the Olympics was granted by the national body.

That has always been Taufik's charismatic nature but make no mistakes when it comes to his passion for badminton and winning international honours for Indonesia.

Ants

2. Kuan Ye

Kuan Ye Regular Member

Ants, where u got the news? Omg!!! This news really shocked me..Dunno how to express my feelings now. Feel like crying :( Cant see him play badminton anymore...

3. thiery

thiery Regular Member

Lin Dan must be happy to know the news. Just kidding!

4. black_knight006

black_knight006 Regular Member

Work at a pro-shop
    Why are you kidding? If I was Lin Dan I would be ridiculously happy knowing that one of the best players in the world is not standing in my way. Taufik is one of the few players in the world right now that can stand in Lin Dan's way. He should go down in the books as one of the greatest badminton players of the last 50 years.

5. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    Sad news indeed. Oh well, 2 years to cherish Taufik's play!

6. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    I don't think Lin Dan is even bothered to be concerned about Taufik. Judging from Taufik's latest spar with Lin Dan and the very obvious decline in Taufik's game, Taufik is more or less finished.

7. newjazz

newjazz Regular Member

typist
    i think it's too early to say TH is finished. He just back from injury, remember?
    anyway, I dont want to start another argument thread again... :D

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm, interesting news, but there was a similar news mentioned on BC, just a while ago on this.
    Anyways, personally, it's not really a surprise to me. Every player(s) will have it's dawn day. Especially considering he has basically won "everything" that is there to take as an IBF player. Also, considering he's already married, and life after marriage is much different..
    True, he doesn't have the All-England title yet, but i'm sure he will be working very hard to get that one before he retires, even if he has to go through using the new scoring system. Perhaps next yr. he will try to bring the Sudirman Cup again back home(despite having to face CHN's powerful squad). And in 2 yrs. time, i'm sure he will try to bring back the Thomas Cup before he retires "for good"...:rolleyes: :p

One thing is for sure, despite his weaknesses or sometimes negative persona, we(the current generation of fans) are very fortunate. As we're one of a selected few that is able to see and enjoy a player like Taufik, arguably amongst the best in badminton history, playing before our own eyes. Truly fortunate and we should just enjoy his last yrs. of playing professionally...:) :cool:

9. kemana

kemana Regular Member

Not a big surprise to me,i was worrying he will retire after he got married.
    now i know it will be not untill the OG 2008,kind of a relief..

10. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

This is not a really shocker-news from TH because he has corfirmed implicitly to INA's press before.I think TH close his 'book' very wisely. He has got everything in his badminton career except AE (until now).If he has reached AE title next year, his achievement is perfectto!TH's name will be including in world bdm-legend and extending INA's bdm glorious after Rudy Hartono 'the maestro' (1st MS who being 8x AE-winner) and Susi Susanti (1st WS who become OGold Medalist + WChamp in consecutive years).TH has a chance to do it! Anyone else from outside INA's shuttlers to make the next record??It's questionable and still waiting...

11. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    This is not that shocking :eek: :D LOL! Since he will be 27 or 28, and that's starting to get old. :p (in badminton career :D :p )

12. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

... woowww such a bad news .. heyy taufik can't you wait until OG 2012 ?!
    you'll be only 30,31 y.o ...
    I'll always be impressed by his career .. be number 1 seed at the OG when he was 19 y.o, beating the best player at 16 ... Taufik god gave you such a great gift ^^

13. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I will be sad to see him go, but everyone retires sometime... Hope he achieves what he sets out for, good luck to him in the All England! Actually despite the rivalry between them, I think Lin Dan may just miss Taufik. He always stretches Lin to his absolute best and I personally think he will miss Taufik for that. That of course isn't to say there aren't other people who can do the same. Personally I enjoy having a rival (a friendly rival which I do have :), who just happens to also be my doubles partner!), and I wouldn't be surprised if the same applies to Lin Dan.

Anyway I really hope he changes his mind :D. There's always time to change your mind. Perhaps if he doesn't win AE by then he will keep playing :). But I guess that's just wishful thinking. Anyway all the best to you Taufik!

14. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    maybe he wins all england then quit, come to think of it, i think its likely, you see he did not play the korea open, maybe he is preparing to win all england, but he is definitely good, just that he doesnt wanna tell others he is

15. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Well said indeed...just start a thread on TH spark tremendous discussions among fans...just wonder the time when TH retires and nobody can really challenge the might of CHN...looking at pictures of 07KO with rows of empty seats in SF, raises concern badminton fast becoming a regional sport...and without inter-nation rivalry and dominated by all CHN squad is not health for the sport.

16. kimpe_bultang

kimpe_bultang Regular Member

hmmm, athlete and student
    I agree with you!! Such a shame that he's retiring, but, anyway... He also has shown great matches.. Of course, at the same time, he should mind his attitude.. Even one of the reasons Ko Candra Wijaya's quitting PBSI was bcs of this, discipline, of course the discipline of PBSI counts too.. But, Taufik should at least changed his attitude.. It is quite annoying to see when that time he walked out Lin Dan bcs of the line judge's decision.. He should learn how to take it, and show that line judge that he won't lose despite him taking Lin Dan's side...:)

17. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    ZOUNDS!!!!!

Crazy. I shall spread the word and it shall ignite like fire through our local badminton community. Or, it would if more than three people had heard of Taufik.

18. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    If I were in Lin Dan's situation, I would find this quite disappointing as when you know one of your biggest(if not the biggest) rival will retire soon. It sucks when there is nobody that can give you a big challenge any more, because there is no point of getting even better yourself...:crying:

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes, i was talking with some badminton buddies last nite.
    When TH, PG, KJ retires, we would lose 2 powerhouse countries in tournament representation. I dun think this is too good for badminton in general, especially in the eyes of IOC.

20. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

Quote & unquote LD's statement during the recent MO in KL - "I relish in meeting TH as it brings our game to a higher level". That basically should be one of the attributes of the attitude of a accomplished player - the positiveness in facing challenges. Should any of these players retire earlier than expected, we will all miss them.