President Speech At IBF AGM 2006

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by cxytdn, May 14, 2006.

1. cxytdn

cxytdn Regular Member

President Speech

IBF AGM 2006

13 May 2006

SPEECH AT AGM​

It is my sincere pleasure to welcome all members and member Association Representatives to the 67th International Badminton Federation AGM.

It has already been a year since with your support I was elected President of the IBF at our last AGM in Beijing, China. I am happy to see all of you again here in Tokyo, Japan.

On behalf of all member Associations I would like to thank Nippon Badminton Association and Yonex for hosting the Thomas-Uber Cup and this AGM.

In the last 72 year history of badminton, this year was the most innovative in terms of the many changes that were implemented. When we moved our office from Cheltenham, England to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia we weren’t just relocating. We were taking steps toward realizing the “New Vision” of IBF.

As President, I will be the first to say, this period of change hasn’t been without challenges. Changing the structure of our organization created systematic problems. We had website issues when we opted to go with a provider closer to our new office. Being understaffed caused delays and a slow release of information. We even experienced cultural issues by relocating to a different country. However, these were risks and challenges we needed to face in order to steer badminton in a bold, new direction.

It is through our mistakes we learn and grow. Through democratic discussion and debate of issues that arise, we grow more united. It’s our unity that gives us strength.

A key to ensuring the democratic process continues is to make certain everyone has a chance to speak and share their opinions. It is only in this fashion that all 149 Member Associations, Continental Confederations and Executive Board Members can unite to speak with one voice and act in unison. Being a Sports Federation, we must also exhibit good sportsmanship. This means always acting in ethical and moral ways. Without ethics, we have no ground to even exist. These must be the backbones of our Philosophy.

By encouraging active and open communication, we invite Member feedback on the actions we, as a group, have chosen to take. This feedback allows us to evaluate any further changes we must make in order to enhance our progress.

Through these steps, we can reach our goals and catapult badminton to the #1 Racket Sport in the world.

We’ve already made a dramatic rise from being 26th in the Olympic Program to #14. By working together we can reach even greater success at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

In looking to the future with a shared vision, we see: a Badminton League that will lead to the possibility of almost daily TV exposure of badminton matches for up to 4 months a year; a World Cup with the largest prize money yet, $500,000; and an IBF Foundation whose specific aim is the spread of badminton to less developed countries.

There is no doubt the world-wide popularity of badminton is on the rise. I expect warm-hearted advice and encouragement from everyone here as we work together to further the success of our beloved sport.

On behalf of the IBF Executive Board, I would like to thank everyone for being here at the AGM today. I hope for your continued support and cooperation for the new IBF.

2. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Democratic?
    How insulting....

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I don't think he was insulting at all. All the badminton countries exercised their votes. Perhaps you are not as well informed to jump to such a conclusion.

4. kokcheng

kokcheng Regular Member

I think all who loves badminton should stop and ponder deeply about IBF's role.Give them a chance to make badminton more popular.It's a well known fact that badminton has not gain much exposure in the western world.Most are angry,i presume,is the change to the new scoring format.I,myself,in the beginning wasnt too pleased about the changes.After witnessing certain games using the new scoring format,I feel that it is gonna make the game even more exciting and definitely full of suspense.Peter Gade will defenitely vouch for this new format.So let's get on the game and make badminton the NO.1 Racket Sport in the world.I am very excited cos my son is into the game seriously.With this new format,hopefully prize monies increases and more parents would dare to take up this sport seriously.Its not easy to plunge into this game without a better future.IBF's role is to make sure all the players will be well taken care of.I am sure they are as concern as we are about Badminton.I LOVE BADMINTON.God bless all baddies.

#4 kokcheng, May 15, 2006
    Last edited: May 15, 2006
  5. Chai

Chai Regular Member

import export
    Could prize money and popularity of the sport be separated?

May be I am old fashioned; I always regard badminton with high esteem; it is a noble sport, a sport that gives a good challenge of your mind and body, a sport that you could enjoy from very young age till you are hardly able to walk!

I attracted to Badminton since very young age (when Malaysia won the Thomas cup in 70, but every schools kids wanted to be Rudy Hartono!) and just like many other young kids then we wanted to do well, and to be the best and played for the country; all just for the love and challenge of the game rather than hoping it could give you a good living!

I believe 98% of badminton players; IBF registered or non IBF registered; are amateur and playing either competitively or as leisure day in and day out; spending a lot of their hard earned money and time; simply because they love the game Badminton. Many volunteers devote their time to organise and form the clubs for the sake of sharing their love of the game rather than financial gain!

Some in this forum has voiced that IBF should work at the grass root level and that I applause and truly believe it is the key of making the Badminton more robust, healthy and grow steadily. I could still remember very vividly that English Badminton team of Gilian Gilks, Nora Perry, and Mike Tregett plus a few of Malaysian Thomas cup players (I think Saw Swee Leong; Phua Ah Hwa were there) performed in the open aired basketball court in my school in early 70; The basketball stands were full with school children, and how many children watched them and picked up badminton as life long sport after?, and where was TV coverage then?

What is N° 1 racket sport of the world? Surely it is not defined by the prize money and media coverage! It is defined by the no of people who is practising and continuing to share and spread their love of the game. Tennis has biggest prize money and most media coverage, and Table Tennis is the most widely played, but Badminton is the most challenging and most beautiful game unless someone has decided to change its course!

6. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

The more an athlete is paid usually the higher the spectators/popularity of the sport. Beckham or Ronaldinio is the highest paid athlete in the world, some soccer player. They are known in almost ever corner of the world. Most people between the ages of 12-30 would probably be able to pick out thier faces. While popularity and prize money are not directly related, they are indirectly. Its human nature (especially in North America) to look up to people who make lots of money - celebrities. Athletes, actors, buisness moguls... these are the people everyone wants to be growing up. People with money.

The above is a really capitalist really right wing north american philosophy.

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Anyone have any information of his Quoted rise in Olympic standing from #26 to #14?

8. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Any sport that do not make good money will be dead quick.

If there are no big money to the sport, there will be a lack of competition and then lack of popularity. We would not get to watch it on TV live. We would not have well-stocked equipment shops right round the corner. Furthermore, there will not be new equipment produced for us to buy! :D

9. Chai

Chai Regular Member

import export
    NBA basketball players are better paid than top footballers. I believe Tony Parker is paid higher than Zidane but who is better known in the world! It is really irrelevant to this discussion infact.

Similarly F1 drivers are paid with high wages, and F1 races are well covered by TV, is F1 really popular compare to other less paid sport, like swimming? How much a top swimmer is earning? But could you not deny that the swimming is ever more popular?

We could package the badminton as a glamorous sport like F1, or in certain extend like Tennis, but is it the path that we want the badminton to be?

Philosophically a tree will die if you cut its roots off. Practically I rather prefer IBF is paying 110% focus on the development at the grass root level instead.

10. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Everything here is so philosophical and theological. The fact is the modern era does not give 2 cents about a sport's nobility and such (Look at irish dancing -_-"). $$$ rules sports now. Whatever you people will say to disregard this statement is nullified as of now.

Good day and happy smashing.