coaching for next season

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by silentheart, May 15, 2006.

1. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I would like to get some ideas on the new point system and how to prep my student on it.

I currently has 1 student palying in highschool single level and 1 girl double team playing in state. Season ended last Sat and there is no word on which point system IL Highschool Assoc is going to use (or I have not heard it yet) for next year. I personally hated the new rally system (yet it does make a tournment run on time). I would like to get some opinion on should I prep my students base on the new scoring system over the summer or should I wait and see.

Thanks in advance.

2. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

We've used a rally scoring system for tournaments here long before IBF adopt it. I don't coach my kids any differently. IOW, regardless of the scoring system, I always tell them to cut down their unforced error rate and keep the shuttle in play. Because at this level, the skill level is such that whoever's more consistent in the longer run wins. The Cheng Shao-Chieh-type players have always done well. The Heryanto Arbi-type (sorry, can't think of a female equivalent of him), not so. They blitz their early round opponents quickly enough, but often times when they face better quality opponents in later rounds, they run out of gas in 2nd and 3rd sets. Sometimes even in the 1st.

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Hi Quas,
    Thanks for your advice. I agree with you that consistency is very important.
    Do you ask them to practice with rally scoring system or the old scoring system? I already talk about the scoring system differences. Everyone is against the rally system. Since IHSA still uses old system this year, I did not ask anyone to practice using rally system. I agree with you totally that better skill will win. However, when 2 sides are very close in skill level, I would like to use the scoring system to rattle the other sides confident by taking advantage of the system if the other is not use to it. From my understanding of the new system, if 2 sides are about the same, it is much much harder to fightback when one side fall behide by 7:0 or more. I would like to create that advantage for us and avoid that stituation.
    What I would like to know is would you rotate scoring systems between difference section or any advice?
    Thanks

4. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

I don't yet know what scoring system we'll use in the upcoming season. None of the coaches I've spoken to knew anything about the 3x21.

If they switch to the new system, then of course we'll practice with it. No point---no pun intended---practicing with the old one. But, to answer your question, I have run practice matches in the past with a rally system along with other modified games and scoring. Not to get them to get used to any system, but really just to break the routine and boredom.

One thing that struck me about the new system is Zhang Ning's comment about how the women's singles game actually runs longer. Which means players have to be fitter. And, at the HS level where the better players can play 5--6 matches in one-day tourneys, that'll put that much more strain on them. So, if I coach again in the upcoming season, instead of 3 miles I'll make them run 4 miles before every practice. :D