How To Overcome Tense & Nervous??

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Darma Sucipto, May 15, 2006.

1. Darma Sucipto

Darma Sucipto Regular Member

hi guys...

how to overcome tense and nervous during tournaments? yeah... my problem is whenever in training or just play for fun, i can play my game and do all my shots and always on form..

but tournament time is tottaly different. because of nervousness, i get pressured easily and my body is always cold. i cant do all my shots anymore and my body hardly moves.

yeah... i admit that i seldom go for tournaments.. can anyone suggest how to overcome this?? thanks a lot...;) ;) love u guys!

2. setaa

setaa Regular Member

when u're training/playing with friends, always make it a habit to be serious and face it as u're in tournament. that's one, there are some others

3. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    It really depends on the individual. If you have a qualified coach, i.e. one who already played at a high level, you can ask him (or her) about over coming tension and nervousness. He will know more about your characters than I do.

In general, going to more tournaments will help you overcome your nervousness. Trial by fire, eh? ;) One way I found that helped me when I was very active in tournaments was to simulate the tournament environment. My coaches, peers, and spectators during training would boo and distract me during practice trying to break down my mental concentration. This was only one way and there were many others that were much more torturous (physically and mentally). ;) I would not suggest them to general public. As I mentioned previously, your coach should know more about what is your limit. I can't stress enough to seek a well qualified coach.

Cheers. :)

4. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    or... maybe when you are playing in a tournament, play like you would during practice but just more competitive

5. setaa

setaa Regular Member

ya, this is better actually, but a harder state of mind to achieve imho

6. tinkerbella122

Student
    well, what you could do is think happy memories and give them a 'magic word'. Then when you are on court and need to cheer up, just say the word to yourself ... magic ;)

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    What one can do is have 100% intensity in practice so that their tourney games are easier. No lackluster rallying or walking around, play/practice every shot as though it's gamepoint. That way, you'll get used to making important shots.

8. tinkerbella122

Student
    Yeah... and also, you could try playing 'handicapped badminton'. We did this a couple weeks back in my club, I thought it was pretty neat.

What you do:If you are playing against a beginner who only played a week of badminton, the game might be pretty boring for you. One way to practice is to give them 14 points so that it's game bird for them, from the start. That way, every point matters to you and this is a good way to train to be mentally tough and it helps you understand what it's like to perform under pressure. So even when you are down in a real game, you'll know how to get back up. ( Playing handicapped badminton also boosts your confidence to some extent... at least it did for me ) ... try it and see how it goes :)

9. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    Music for me eases the tension. Most of the time, you should know the outcome of the match. (For me anyways). If I know I am going to win, tension is gone, and play becomes smooth. If I know I am going to lose, I go in with a do or die attitude, and if i lose, I would be happy to be beaten by someone better than me. =) No tension invovled!

10. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

well,take a deep breath lol,and imagine something in ur brain to help u relax.
    and try to get a friend with u, that usu. are with u and something, and smile at them =) or talk to them xD

11. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    "Magic". Lol nice one. :D

Oops, almost forgot. Here's a link as well.
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/badminton-central/content/view/16/35/

Hope this helps!
    Keith

12. Darma Sucipto

Darma Sucipto Regular Member

thanks guys.. at least i have the idea..

13. Youngunz_77

Youngunz_77 Regular Member

play more tournaments, experience is the best teacher :)

but dont even think of other factors around you, think of the shuttle and how ur gonan hit it back THATS IT ...

14. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    A bottle of brandy never hurts you know...

15. ricksakti

ricksakti Regular Member

Surgeon
    No...no...worry... if you are nervous or stressed up... enjoy it. Nervous is the most enjoyable moment of life. Ok.

16. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    Same here; except that I'd go for tequila. :rolleyes: Underage drinking is a norm here (with parental consent of course :))

17. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    A bottle of brandy? Honestly FEND......?! What do you do, try and knock the competition out with your breath?

I find that the thing about nerves for me is that I only get them when I am sitting around. Try and play cards, talk to other people, walk around the block or call a friend....these things stop me dwelling on my nervousness. Try and flirt with some of the girls (or boys) maybe?

18. snowboy2008

snowboy2008 Regular Member

flirt with people? have you tried that before? from your style of writing, i bet u r a girl. i just got a randomn question. who is better? lin dan or yang yang

#18 snowboy2008, May 23, 2006
    Last edited: May 23, 2006
  19. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    1) Its similar to stage fright. You need to be able to face a large audience and not be concerned what they think of you or even their reaction towards you.

2) Fear. You need to remember that you would not lose your life if you lose.

3) Confidence. You need to believe that you are fully capable of beating your opponent and its not a David vs Goliath fight (you are the David).

4) Focus. You need to believe that you know what you are doing and you are already trained with the skills to do it.

And my favourite mental technique is to always believe that everything is actually very easy once you are over it. Just like primary school examinations; it seem very difficult when you were a kid but after graduating from secondary school or college, you realised that primary school is actually chicken feet. So even though you might think that you are very nervous and tense in your tournaments, if you are a world class tournament player, that would be nothing to you. A bit of self-belief and self-convincing always work.

20. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal

So you think you can tell my gender from my style of writing? Is there anything else you think comes through? I'll tell you if you're right or not.

I haven't played many tournaments but I would recommend talking with people. If nothign else you get to make new friends and will be less nervous the next time if you can see people you have spoken to before. It also helps with finding out who the stronger players are