Mp 66 vs at 700 power

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by joshua.bay, May 16, 2006.

1. joshua.bay

joshua.bay Regular Member

student
    i have been using my at 7oo for a while, even though it is a super good smshing racket, but my defence drops alot against lightning fast smashes...

i have weak arms as well but the at 700 suited just fine and i presonally dont like the 700 becos of its extreme head heaviness...

so , i am choosing this extreme racket compared to 700, the mp 66, and i am asking

can the 66 ever beat the 700 in smashing, if both have the right technique to suit each racket, the maximum potential of each racket?

can the flexible shaft be better than a extra stiff shaft in smashing and clearing?? (i tot flexible shaft is more repulsive???)

and whats the swingweight thing and can a headlight be ever more powerful than a head heavy??/( isnt a headlight be swung with faster swing speed thus resulting in more speed?)

thnk you so much

#1 joshua.bay, May 16, 2006
    Last edited: May 16, 2006
  2. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

People with weaker wrists and arms will generally have slower racquet head speed. Those with strong arms and whippy wrists have faster racquet head speeds. The faster the swing speed, the greater the power (pic 1).

For max power, slow swing speeds benefit more from flexible racquets, as they are borrowing the "snapping back action" of the shaft. Fast swing speeds benefits more from stiffer shafts, as their swings are already extremely fast - a flexible shafts lag behind the player's swing and actually diminish power (pic 2).

For any player, they must choose the right flexibility of racquet to get maximum power. Thus those with "x" as their swing speed will get the most power from a medium flex racquet (pic 3).

Attached Files:

#2 jcl49, May 16, 2006
    Last edited: May 16, 2006
  3. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

Those who depend of racquet head speeds get more power from head light racquet, as these enhance their abiltiy to swing fast.

Individuals with slow racquet head speeds benefit more from head heavy racquets, as their power comes from the weight at the head to hit the shuttle.

If you want to think about it more scientifically, then read up on momentum (=mv).

4. joshua.bay

student
    then how do we know which flex best suit you??

i mean like every racket seems the same for me

5. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

By trail and error, that is why you hear forum members with half a dozen of different racquet - and still not satisfied.

Once again plagiarising Cooler's tests, you can test out typically different flexiblities (for reference see here).

For example would try out racquet from each stiffness catagory:
    extra stiff - MP100 / Cab30
    medium stiff - MP77 / MP99
    Flexible - AT700 / Cab20MS
    Extra Flexible - MP88 / MP66

6. svp97

svp97 Regular Member

It does take some experience and skill to feel the difference of two rackets. And truly no offense given, as I don't really know your level of play. :)

The more you play the easier it is to feel the difference, and the more you are used with one racket, the easier it gets to feel that some rackets have other properties than that. I think this is the main reason why it is a waste of money to buy a good expensive racket if you are new to the game, because you are not able to see the point of it any way.

I originally bought a cheap racket and used it for a couple of years. Then I started playing more seriously and bought an expensive racket. In the beginning I was really dissatisfied with the new racket because I just could not find it was better in any way to the other one. But three years later I tried to (read: had to) play with the old racket again and I really felt it was just crap. It just never stopped shaking after you hit the shuttle-cock, and it was not possible to feel that you hit properly. I think my technique had improved a lot and I had just grown out of that racket.

I still actually played some tournaments and trained with the cheap racket for some months and I felt that I was able to play almost to the same level as with a better racket. Only in very tight matches (against guys I would win 60-40% of the games) and when I was getting tired, I felt that the racket made me loose a bit more than I was used to. But I also think that I got tired sooner with the bad racket, and thus the level of my game fell quicker. I also felt that it was harder to try to improve my game with it, so I found out that it was just as good to get a new better racket that I would feel comfortable with.

But if you don't feel a difference then it might not be worth buying an expensive racket.

7. joshua.bay

student
    yes, i tired cheap steel racket for a long time... some in tournaments too... and power is restricted alot

but i dont think it suits me,,.. becos it is too heavy and

i dont get it...

the 700 causes lots of elbow porblems(tennis elbow even wearing elbow brace when playing) for me.. even old rackets/?

does that means i need stiffer rackets???

8. speedy

speedy Regular Member

I can give you some info regarding the mp66. It is really as the label says, head light balance. It is light and generates more power than the at300 but very difficult to get a steep smash. That's why I finally sold it after trying for a few months. Drop shots and net play are also not so good. But this applies to most iso rackets I had used including the mp77 and at300. I'm now on cab30ms, less power but more control and solid feel.