Reading your opponent

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Eurasian =--(O), May 16, 2006.

1. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

Hey I wanted to start a thread so people could add to the following of how to learn to quickly read your opponent.

- many serve variations
    - always looking for patterns
    - watch for slices
    - do they smash crosscourt
    - do they clear much or totally offensive

I find I have a problem playing people I have never played before if they are full offensive. It takes me most of the first game to start to read thier strokes. It is worse if I am significantly better than my opponent because I do not take them seriously enough then end up playing catch up the first game.

2. r0adk1ll

r0adk1ll New Member

IT Person
    Well, if you're in a tourney, it'd be best to watch the opponents in your class level. You'd easily be able to see their strong and weak points.

If you've started playing against someone for the first time and youve never seen them play before, try checking for trends on how they play their offense or defense. The trick is to find a pattern of play they use so you can use it to formulate your counter-offense. If you know you have the edge, go offensive most of the time, this way you pressure them to switch to defensive stance or break them from executing their game plan. :)

Bottom line...Know thy enemy. :)

3. DutchRion

DutchRion Regular Member

Student
    Yes indeed, i always tend to push the opponent backwards (which basically means for me, is performing attacking clears) and not just 1, but really pressuring, and just see how the opponent deals with it.

Advantage: most players have sort of 'automatic escape shot' when they get pressured a lot. Example: if one gets out of balance (wont happen much or entirely) or you out-tricked the opponent, most opponents have these escape shots in this kind of situation (not every time, but almost everyone has one). lets say he plays a cross-court drop, if he playes this drop, you will find yourself easy to return, but, and this is more important i think, the shot you make when your at the net, gives you the upertunity to read the opponent (which means, how he handles the next shot, since he is in much pressure).

This is my basic play, im not all that agressive player (though it may seem like it :D). I tend to pressure the opponent, and keep him at the back (very much attacking clears). From here on, i most of the time control the game. (when he playes a drop from the back, im very quick at the net, and everyone can be with the right footwork). once im at the net, he will find himself a easy target (option 1 for him, he stays a little back, so i drop. 2. he will run forward with the oppertunity to get overplayed quickly (i tend to do very nice trick shots at the net, even much better players then me mostly fall for it :D).

So conclusion: I keep my opponent under much pressure, and i try to see what he is doing, and why (why from his point of view). and for the rest: i am not really a smashing player, i tend to wait for a shuttle which is to slow to reach my baseline, so i can smash good. I mostly wait for the opponent to make mistakes or apply bad tactics.

PS. Note that im not really a superb players or something, but i tend to pressure people quite good, even though they are better, and i loose. Have to work on my overal game. im also tricked far to easily :(... but working on it :D, im going 4 classes up this season.... so im quite ready to kick some ass this season :D.

Greetings,

Rion

PPS. Any questions? :D

4. Carbonex_21

Carbonex_21 Regular Member

engineer
    How to read your opponent?Well here is what i think:
    1) find his weakness/strength - send shuttle to each corner of the court & look for his reply, is he good in dropping, clearing or smashing?
    2) look for trend - estimate what will he respond if you play ie. drop, smash, or clear...so that you can reach shuttle early for your next shot.