Carlton VS Yonex

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Mozart, May 21, 2001.

1. Mozart

Mozart Guest

Hi,

I'm trying to get couple "all around" rackets. I've tried out the Yonex MP-100(2U), Ti-10(2U) and Ti SP SX. They are strung at about 24 lbs. Out of these 3 rackets, I pick Ti-10 because it looks prettier than MP-100. I have to say they(MP-100 and Ti-10) come pretty close as far as performance. Ti Sp SX doesn't fit too well on my playing style.

I used to play with Carlton Carbon/Graphite Classic. I like it a lot. Now, they come out with AS-1, AB 2000, 1000, and 900. I'm confused which one to get. The sad thing is no one here(the badminton club) uses Carlton that I can try. The reviews in badmintoncentral tells me a lot but I can't really judge by that.

Since I feel good on Ti-10 or MP100, anyone think that Carlton rackets(any) is better than Ti-10. If so, which one and why?

2. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I can't really help you on the Carlton thing but i think that the Ti-10 is better than the MP100 not because of looks, just because it suits my style better.

Anyhow, i posted a thread earlier on Yonex Vs Carlton would it help you to take a look at it?

http://www.badmintonforum.com/forums/read.php?f=4&i=2013&t=2013

3. Jeff

Jeff Guest

900 is your best bet, al though its lighter than the Ti-10 and MP100, so swing it first to see

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Although I love my 900, if you like the Ti-10 and MP-100 then why change? Stay with what you've got, that will be more rewarding in the long run. I was a "racquet-hopper" myself before, but that was because I wasn't 100% comfortable with what I had.

5. Wins

Wins Regular Member

student
    Actually some guys here are really bias about the racquets they own. They praise
    abt racquets they own but look down on racquets they dun own. So sometime is it quite hard to choose ur racquet here, but i will share my experience with u and hope it can help. Ti-10 is a head-heavy racquet, middle speed and very stiff shaft(more for singleas in smashing). MP100 is a even-balanced racquet, fast speed and very stiff(all-round racquet but good for duo cos its speed). I have Carlton Ht800, it is heavy-head, average speed and stiff. Carlton Ab2000 is head-heavy, fast speed and stiff(for singles). Ab1000 is even-balanced, fast speed and stiff(for duo). If u are single player, choose Ti-10, Ab2000. If u r duo, choose Mp100, carlton Ab1000. Mp need lots of strength to show its fullest powerful, choose it unless u r damn strong.

6. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    I might be wrong here because i'm not to familiar with the MP100 myself because i've only used it once before for a brief trial but isn't the MP100 head heavy and not evenly balanced Wins? I'm not sure as i said before, pls correct me if i'm wrong.

7. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    I fully agree with you Mag, i was a racket hopper as well before as i loved switching between rackets not only every now and then but even in between games. Yes i am admitting it, i was the worst person to ask about rackets before. Now i've got my Slim 10 and stuck to it, the next racket i'll buy is another Slim 10 should i need it.

I have many rackets, 13 to be exact.......

So heres my advice to people who like switching rackets and spending money on new rackets. Choose 1 racket that you like well enough, may not be perfect for you and stick with it and train with it. You'll love it more than ever in the end.

Believe me, i was that bad, i spent well over um, hold on.......

Ti-10 + BG-65 Ti = $256
    Ti-7 + Ashaway Microlegend = $178
    Ti-3 + BG-65 Ti = $162
    Titanium Pro 60 + BG-65 Ti = $116
    Isometric Slim 10 + BG-65 = $99
    Fleet Ti-99 + Ashaway Microlegend = $178
    SBP T-10 + Ashaway Microlegend = $116
    Yang Yang Dragon + BG-65 Ti = $105
    Carbonex 8000 + BG-65 = $72
    Carbonex 21 Special + BG-65 Ti = $115 (I think)
    Isometric 25 + BG-65 = $74 (I think)
    Carbonex 8 = Bought a long time ago
    Hebat Iso 870 + BG-65 = $13

Total comes to $1484!!!! WOAH!!! I'm a big victim of this urge to keep switching rackets......... i was once and never again!!!

8. Mozart

Mozart Guest

I think you have a good point here. I can't speak for carlton. Since I'm not a "damn" strong player, I found Ti-10 more powerful on my swing. I think I'm pretty much set with Ti-10.

As for Carlton, I'm thinking AB 900. I'm afraid AB 1000 is too light that my smash has no treat for my opponent in double. Again, I can't really do a good comparison with Carlton rackets as I've try them. All I can do is listen to ppl's point of view. But, once I decided, I will pretty much stick with it unless it is really really weak like the Iso Ti SP(SR) I tried on. That's why I'm afraid AB1000 will do the same thing. I'm sure some ppl will appreciate the light weight and the quickness of Iso SP(SR) though.

9. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    As far as I remember, you seen to like Ti-10 very much. You should also post a "not too positve" comment about Slim 10, I'm a bit surprised you stick with Slim 10.

Fyi, I've more racquets than you. -:) The one I stick with is the Mizuno MP300 (MP100 is used as the primary backup).

10. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    I like the Slim 10 and am used to it, i used to play alot with the Ti-10 but i found the Slim 10 to be more suitable for me, i've stuck to it and played with it for about 2 months now

11. Wins

Wins Regular Member

student
    Mp100 is not head-heavy. It is even-balanced and that's why national teams duo prefer to use it. I am not meaning that ppl using the Ti-10 are beginners but in fact the reason why Ti-10 is more preferable by more ppl cos it's heavy head made smashing almost as easy as ABC. I was a very very lousy player who doesn't smash but when i use Byron's Ti-10, Smashing is possible. Ab1000 is not a bad racquet, if u want to play duo, choose it !!! It is fast and it's lightest require light force to push the racquet. Driving and smashing are powerful with it. Ti-10 is too
    Ti-10 cos of its heavy head cos if u play at net, u can't move fast and end up getting ur partner been smash. Pro playing does not made a player stick at a position but move around the court if u dun believe, check it out next time when u watch international tournament. Ab2000 is not bad. As for Ab900, i didn't try that so i can't give any comments. Advice is not buy so many racquets. Reasons are that u may end up borrowing ur racquets away to ur friends. Changing ur racquet too often in a game will hurt ur hand. So choose a racquet, sell the rest and buy 2 to 3 of the same racquet again. String one with Bg-66 or gut string at 19lbs, one at 24 lbs and try one at 30lbs. 30lbs is a try so if u break it, u still can use the other two. low tension racquet give u more reponsive hits and high tension give u powerful hits. I own around 13 racquet and together i switch racquet twice in a game and end up hurting my wrist !!! i am injured now !!! i can't play for 1 -2 days. So sad ~

12. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    I busted my ankle again the other day, i never can no injure myself....... (*SIGH*)...... prehaps i'm cursed j/k

13. Mozart

Mozart Guest

Speaking of injured...

I sprained my ankle from jumping off the roof. I went to Physical Therapy for 3 sessions, getting better but still try to avoid too much jump smash. Anyway, I'm doing some ankle exercises to strengthen my ankle now. Perhaps arcupunctual(sp?) will work better.

I agree with you totally. Like I said, I used to have 3 Carlton Graphite Classic all strung with Gosen(can't remember what model) at 24 lbs. That's what my coach suggested. Stopped playing for a while, rackets were given away by my very kind mother. I bought BORON-200 and still playing with it now. Falled in love with Ti-10. Wants to get 2 of them, but too damn expensive. Looking at alternative - Carlton. Never get a chance to try it. That's why I'm here observing different point of view.

But I really appreciate your input.

14. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    WHERE DID U GET THE BORON 200s?!

15. Wins

Wins Regular Member

student
    Boron 200 is expensive for it's limited stock not the design and other factors. Buying one is not an advice for ppl out there becos of it's price. Owning one is cool but not really a good idea. In singapore, we can still get it but stocks are limited. Shaun, u should ask Kelvin to get it for u.

16. Mozart

Mozart Guest

I got my Boron-200(2U) in US back in 1993. I think it's stiffer and heavier than Ti-10. If you have a strong arm, you can take advantage of it. I know that because my friend who has a powerful smash shows me how powerful the racket is. I dun think I have that strong to make use of it. That's why I'm looking to buy AB 900 or Ti-10.
    I might consider selling it once I get my AB 900 or Ti-10 unless AB 900 is worst than the Boron.

17. Brett

Brett Regular Member

If weight and balance really makes a difference to you, the AB 900 should feel a lot lighter than a 2U Ti-10 and probably lighter than a 3U model. Last night one of the guys in my league brought in his new 3U Winex Ti-10 (which I believe is supposed to be a clone of the Yonex racquet with the same model number) and I looked at it (nobody in my leagues has a real Ti-10 and I've never looked at one, though). It is significantly heavier feeling, although perhaps no more head heavy, than the AB 900. Personally, I didn't like the feel of it, as it felt like a steel racquet with a slightly thinner frame and shaft, but I didn't hit with it.

The AB 900 feels very stable, comfortable and manouverable. I can assure you that it is a significantly powerful racquet, not withstanding that it has a more flexible shaft than the other so-called top-level offensive racquets. I have consistently been able to hit deep clears to the back of the court while somewhat off balance, which would have been mid-court, smash-it-down-my-throat clears with my old Cab 8300. Several people have remarked that I am smashing noticeably harder with my new Carlton. As Mag has commented, it feels so invitingly powerful that it makes you want to hit hard a lot more. I think it is also fairly quick and quite good on defense and I am returning more smashes and winning more fast "how low can you go" drive rallies. As I have commented in other posts, I'm not liking the control on the racquet so much for drop shots, but it is getting better and I expect much improvement when I replace the factory string with something better and tighter, which I have meant to do for weeks but haven't had time. I will post a full review in the fall once I get new strings (I've got only two more weeks left in my less competive league and the next sessions won't start until September, so I won't bother getting it restrung until the end of the Summer).