User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 39
  1. #1
    Regular Member cxytdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    China
    Posts
    660
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up Wong Choong Hann can speak mandarin!?

    I notice that WCH can speak mandarin (Pu Tong Hua) very well and want to know how about the other Chinese players of Malaysia.

    A Chinese player of Indonesia can also speak Chinese, I just forget his name, but I remember he won the gold medal of Olympics 1992.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Bbn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    3,004
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So does Lee Chong Wei, it is uncommon for

    chinese people in Msia under 30 not to know Mandarin.

    The reverse is true for the older generation brought up in a colonial

    environment and also for neighbouring Singapore .

  3. #3
    Regular Member cxytdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    China
    Posts
    660
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's a good thing for these players who can speak Chinese, they can communicate well with Chinese coach Li Mao, who said the reason of his leaving from Korea is that Korean players cannot speak Chinese.

  4. #4
    Regular Member cxytdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    China
    Posts
    660
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Li Mao and Lee Chong Wei in TC QF
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    blue sky
    Posts
    254
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cxytdn
    I notice that WCH can speak mandarin (Pu Tong Hua) very well and want to know how about the other Chinese players of Malaysia.

    A Chinese player of Indonesia can also speak Chinese, I just forget his name, but I remember he won the gold medal of Olympics 1992.
    Alan Budikusuma?

  6. #6
    Regular Member Bbn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    3,004
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Doesn't mean that peopel who speak and write Chinese well also think

    like the people of China, Taiwan or HK. In this respect they are no different from Singaporeans,Indonesians por even Malays.

    The only diff is that they learn Chinese to remain competitive, they

    (most of them ) know nothing of Chinese history, culture etc.

    Interesting last month the native people of Solomon Islands perseceuted their local Chinese for setting up a government biased towards the mainly Taiwanse,the poor natives toppled the Gov and burnt the Chinese properties.

    In the end China sent planes to re-settle the Chinese in China.

    This has happened in the past in many Asian countries.

  7. #7
    Regular Member cxytdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    China
    Posts
    660
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    yeah, he and his wife won MS and WS gold medal respectively there.

  8. #8
    Regular Member red00ecstrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Hong Kong S.A.R. China
    Posts
    1,985
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cxytdn
    I notice that WCH can speak mandarin (Pu Tong Hua) very well and want to know how about the other Chinese players of Malaysia.
    he can speak cantonese as well!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bbn
    Doesn't mean that peopel who speak and write Chinese well also think

    like the people of China, Taiwan or HK. In this respect they are no different from Singaporeans,Indonesians por even Malays.

    The only diff is that they learn Chinese to remain competitive, they

    (most of them ) know nothing of Chinese history, culture etc.

    Interesting last month the native people of Solomon Islands perseceuted their local Chinese for setting up a government biased towards the mainly Taiwanse,the poor natives toppled the Gov and burnt the Chinese properties.

    In the end China sent planes to re-settle the Chinese in China.

    This has happened in the past in many Asian countries.
    It's almost 100% that all young Malaysians can speak chinese.. well the rest can speak in cantonese or any chinese dialeks..

    Well, Malaysian's chinese are still stick to thier chinese traditions n culture... Malaysian's chinese are still behaving chinesely... We have many chinese schools here that uses chinese as a main language to teach n communicate... There are Indians n Malays can even speak chinese too because they go for chinese schools... So its not really that we dont know about chinese culture or history...

    Coz we learn china's history here in Malaysia... coz we are still pure chinese

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Malacca, M'sia
    Posts
    3,074
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hmm....maybe 88% of young chinese malaysians can speak mandarin....the others mostly speak english at home

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    475
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    WCH was coached as a junior by a Chinese national Han Jian/niu pi tang (?)

    There was an interview once with him and his coach. His Mandarin was v good.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by **KZ**
    hmm....maybe 88% of young chinese malaysians can speak mandarin....the others mostly speak english at home
    oh yeah... forgot bout those english educated ppl...

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    -
    Posts
    687
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hara^kazuko
    It's almost 100% that all young Malaysians can speak chinese.. well the rest can speak in cantonese or any chinese dialeks..

    Well, Malaysian's chinese are still stick to thier chinese traditions n culture... Malaysian's chinese are still behaving chinesely... We have many chinese schools here that uses chinese as a main language to teach n communicate... There are Indians n Malays can even speak chinese too because they go for chinese schools... So its not really that we dont know about chinese culture or history...

    Coz we learn china's history here in Malaysia... coz we are still pure chinese
    I disagree. Maybe just 60-70%. There are a lot of young Malaysian-Chinese that could not even understand simple Mandarin words like "peng you" (friend), let alone speak the language. Reason : they attend national schools from young and have the mindset that English is much more important than Chinese language. Of course, I do not deny the fact that there are cases of non Chinese-educated students that can communicate in Mandarin due to family background, friends...

    They are much more influenced by the Western culture than the Chinese traditions/culture. My cousin who is a Hainanese, cant understand/speak a word of that dialect. And how many Chinese high schools are there in Malaysia? I know that certain national high schools provide extra classes for Chinese studies, but how many of them are willing to stay back after school/ in weekends to study the language?

    China history? I think they learn more about it watching Hong Kong/China tv series than learning it in school.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    well, I was from Sabah (East Malaysia or Borneo Island where one of the Survivor season took place), and I went to a so called national schol ie they teach mostly in Malay and 1 class of English and Chinese (if you choose to take this class). My first language is definitely not chinese. But in terms of speaking, I can speak cantonese (what I speak to my parents at home), Hakka and mandarin (after living with a Taiwanese for 5 yrs in high school).

    Altho most young kids, I agree, dont know the chinese history, but in terms of culture, most chinese kids in Malaysia still follow it to some degree. I have not met one malaysian chinese who does not speak at least one chinese dialect. In fact alot of chinese in Sabah speaks at least 3 chinese dialects and some even 4-5 like my parents, my dad speaks hokkien and tao chew and my mom speaks hainan as well.

    bhaiyow

  15. #15
    Regular Member Bbn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    3,004
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There is nothing to get worked up over.

    We cannot be like people of China although we can be if we choose to.

    Neither can we compete with people form China, so we must be slightly different,Chinese basically but international in order to survive.

    We are even better than many East Asians ,Singaporean etc because of the extra value, in fact next year onwards anyone can choose not to enrol
    in Secondary school but choose International Schools.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    maybe i am studying is a total chinese school since primary... couldnt really get how serious is the condition out there...

    well... dont tell me dat they cant understand 'peng you'? It's because they study in oversea or sth? they should...

    i was english educated when i was small n i couldnt speak mandarin dat well... but it all changed when i started my chinese primary school n high school... everyone around me can speak chinese very well like Taiwanese... N we even speak some words that only taiwanese r using...

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    man... that is dead serious if they really cant understand 'peng you'... i've been thinking that almost every malaysian chinese can speak chinese very well until today... im shocked...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wong Choong Hann
    By Bbn in forum Malaysia Professional Players
    Replies: 116
    : 05-13-2012, 10:40 AM
  2. What's Wong Choong Hann using in this pic?
    By alexkho in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 14
    : 08-02-2008, 03:08 PM
  3. Wong Choong Hann
    By dimitri in forum Malaysia Professional Players
    Replies: 96
    : 07-17-2008, 09:17 AM
  4. Wong Choong Hann, please retire
    By weeyet in forum Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2008
    Replies: 99
    : 05-29-2008, 07:21 PM
  5. Wong Choong Hann set to get nod
    By huangkwokhau in forum Sudirman Cup 2007
    Replies: 3
    : 05-25-2007, 04:48 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •