User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cxytdn
    It's a good thing for these players who can speak Chinese, they can communicate well with Chinese coach Li Mao, who said the reason of his leaving from Korea is that Korean players cannot speak Chinese.
    This is funny. His reason for leaving was not that he couldn't speak Korean but that they couldn't speak Chinese. Maybe we can expect Hariawan and Ardy Wiranata to give up on those useless Canadians soon because they can't speak Indonesian. Or maybe Park Joo Bong left Malaysia because they couldn't speak Korean.

Alas, isn't this always the way? I'm sure it's hard for Tan Kim Her, too, but not as hard as it would be for Li Mao. I know so few people here who speak Mandarin. I'm sure Tan Kim Her speaks either good or great English but it's still got to be hard. I doubt the Korean players speak much English even though they need it to some degree for tournaments and such. I've never tried speaking to any of them in English.

I'm always amazed when I go to places like Malaysia and the Philippines where I meet so many people who speak two, three or more languages. It's a wonder I haven't heard of more Malaysian greats coaching internationally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by event
    This is funny. His reason for leaving was not that he couldn't speak Korean but that they couldn't speak Chinese. Maybe we can expect Hariawan and Ardy Wiranata to give up on those useless Canadians soon because they can't speak Indonesian. Or maybe Park Joo Bong left Malaysia because they couldn't speak Korean.

Alas, isn't this always the way? I'm sure it's hard for Tan Kim Her, too, but not as hard as it would be for Li Mao. I know so few people here who speak Mandarin. I'm sure Tan Kim Her speaks either good or great English but it's still got to be hard. I doubt the Korean players speak much English even though they need it to some degree for tournaments and such. I've never tried speaking to any of them in English.

I'm always amazed when I go to places like Malaysia and the Philippines where I meet so many people who speak two, three or more languages. It's a wonder I haven't heard of more Malaysian greats coaching internationally.
    well, Li Mao is actually a coach frm china who comes to malaysia to coach if i wasnt wrong...
    about malaysian coaches... actually there arent many malaysian greats coaching except the one i know, misbun sidek... n other coaches who are coaching malaysian team are frm indonesia or china..
    We don't produce a lot of local coaches actually
    You cant expect our local coaches to coach internationally when we dont have enough local coaches for ourselves too
    Last edited by hara^kazuko; 05-18-2006 at 10:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hara^kazuko
    man... that is dead serious if they really cant understand 'peng you'... i've been thinking that almost every malaysian chinese can speak chinese very well until today... im shocked...
    But for most of the non Chinese-educated, they can speak in Cantonese because Hong Kong series is very popular here. However, I know of some cases when they watch the Cantonese dramas, they will lose grasp of whats going on without the help of the subtitles.

Sorry moderators, I know this is off-topic.
    Last edited by *izzyC*; 05-18-2006 at 10:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what?? Chinese in Malaysian who are below 30 speak chinese are uncommen??

I am one of them and I can tell u 90% of my friends can speak manderin.. and 10 year old cousin speak manderin well enough and manderin is his main language..

proud to say that manderin also my main language.. beside manderin, I can speak cantonese, hakka, Malay, as u see i typing here english as well..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bufung
    what?? Chinese in Malaysian who are below 30 speak chinese are uncommen??

I am one of them and I can tell u 90% of my friends can speak manderin.. and 10 year old cousin speak manderin well enough and manderin is his main language..

proud to say that manderin also my main language.. beside manderin, I can speak cantonese, hakka, Malay, as u see i typing here english as well..
    not uncommon, but I was refering to this post : It's almost 100% that all young Malaysians can speak chinese.

I can also tell you that at my cousins' school (national schools), not more than 10% of them can speak in Mandarin. But, the area where I live in, you can find almost 100% of them can speak in Pu Tong Hua.

Really, it depends on which area you live in.

So my opinion is, when you take the non-Chinese educated Malaysians into account, only 60-70% of Chinese throughout Malaysia can speak in Mandarin.
    Last edited by *izzyC*; 05-19-2006 at 05:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but so far i havent met any chinese hu cant speak chinese... well, mayb in my area... even my oversea-educated cousin can even speak cantonese n chinese after almost ten years in england...

anyway, forget bout the pecentage debate... i just think dat chinese should know how to talk chinese like one n get to know some of our culture n history even we arent from china..

Even singapore government has started to encourage singaporeans to talk in chinese compare to the used-to-be-very-important-english while china is emerging n developing fast.. well, that's a very different case...

sry for getting out of topic...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have this chinese friend (my classmate) who can speaks 4 languages fluently...so great..she knows mandarin,hokkien,cantonese and korea...now she's learning jpn and thai...don't know why she wanted to learn it but she say learning languages is fun....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by *izzyC*
    But for most of the non Chinese-educated, they can speak in Cantonese because Hong Kong series is very popular here. However, I know of some cases when they watch the Cantonese dramas, they will lose grasp of whats going on without the help of the subtitles.

Sorry moderators, I know this is off-topic.
    Not 100% of 'em can speak canto bcoz of the influence of HK series. Some of my friends (chinese) are from Malay PRimary SChool and they usually speak cantonese at home and at their relatives' place. Unlike me, i sux at speaking cantonese bcoz i often speak chinese(mandarin) to my family members and hardly speak cantonese. BUt after stepping into Secondary School, i use cantonese mmore widely than b4.

btw, you are so darn right about the "they will lose grasp of what's goign on without the help of the subtitles" , gee...that is so me,esp watching cantonese series LoL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by riz-nie
    i have this chinese friend (my classmate) who can speaks 4 languages fluently...so great..she knows mandarin,hokkien,cantonese and korea...now she's learning jpn and thai...don't know why she wanted to learn it but she say learning languages is fun....
    Chinese as in Malaysian Chinese or Chinese nationality?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we are out of topic... this thread is about WCH can speak mandarin...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh..ok ok...yea i think we kinda get out of the topic...so, hhm....the topic is "WCH can speak mandarin"...ok....so? i don't think it's something big to discuss about. It's pretty normal for a chinese guy to speak mandarin, even if it's broken mandarin,....well, at least they still can understand mandarin, aint it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this thread about WCH can speak mandarin is not important anymore. We shall close the thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah.. this thread gave a "most-malaysian-chinese-cant-speak-chinese" impression to the others.. actually, things r completely different right here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

malaysian chinese can speak malay very well.....ermm....most..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jcl49
    WCH was coached as a junior by a Chinese national Han Jian/niu pi tang (?)

There was an interview once with him and his coach. His Mandarin was v good.
    any idea where to download interviews of players? i have never seen one!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bbn
    So does Lee Chong Wei, it is uncommon for

chinese people in Msia under 30 not to know Mandarin.

The reverse is true for the older generation brought up in a colonial

environment and also for neighbouring Singapore .
    Err... in Singapore, it would seems the older generation speaks mandarin better than many of the younger generation bananas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bbn
    There is nothing to get worked up over.

We cannot be like people of China although we can be if we choose to.

Neither can we compete with people form China, so we must be slightly different,Chinese basically but international in order to survive.

We are even better than many East Asians ,Singaporean etc because of the extra value, in fact next year onwards anyone can choose not to enrol
    in Secondary school but choose International Schools.
    May I know what extra value you have that is better than Singapore?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast