User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose
    ...So here's how I define those terms. Do comment and add on them...
    I think your attempt to segment players via their experience in tournaments is valid but should only be applied for certain level of play.

I would first segment the players based on the ability to hit the shuttle along with knowing the strategies of the game.

The next group would be based on the potential for "financial benefits" from playing the sport, example scholarships, sponsorships, endorsments.

The sub-categories for Competitve Players are not definitive and there are some over-lap.

Recreational Players

Beginner
    - very little skill

Intermediate
    - good serves
    - able to hit consistently forehand smashes, drops, clears, & OK net shots
    - poor backhand clear (or looks like a tennis backhand)
    - basic footwork & knowledge of defensive/offensive positions & transitions
    - can return (lift) smashes and get to some drop shots

High-Intermediate
    - excellent tight serves with variety
    - able to hit effective smashes, drops, clears, & good net shots
    - able to hit proper end-to-end backhand clears & drops (down the line)
    - good footwork, able to get to all corners efficiently, along with endurance
    - can communicate well with partner & make proper def/off transitions
    - can return smashes that force your opponents to lift

Advanced
    - can attack low serves
    - very strong forehand & very tight net shots
    - effective backhand smashes, clears & drops
    - very good deceptive shots
    - can return (place) a smash that wins the rally consistently
    - can consistently finish/win the rally when playing the net offensively

Competitive Players

Collegiate / Provincial Players
    National / Semi-Professional Players
    Professional Players

Cheers!
    Last edited by Break-My-String; 05-19-2006 at 04:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forgot to add...

Competitive Players

Collegiate / Provincial Players
    -badminton scholarship at your local U / college

National / Semi-Professional Players
    - have another career that pays the mortgage

Professional Players
    - 24/7/365 baddie baddie baddie

Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just another two cents:

Low Intermediates, know all the strokes and can perform them consistently. But accuracy and quality may still need some fine tuning. Game play still plain.

High Intermediates, know all the strokes, consistent, accurate to a certain extent and have a bit of game play trying to make people run.

Low Advanced, know all the strokes, consistent, accurate, plays will a well devised game plan. Bottom line: Experienced.

High Advanced, same with low advanced just more experienced, more cunning and wiser in his selection of shots or physically tougher. High chance of entering the quarter finals in local events. Exclude the professionals and ex-professionals.

Not as defined as Mongoose's but my 2cp worth. Btw, Mongoose, playing this sat at IMH?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent ideas and proposals everyone!
    Keep the suggestions coming.
    We'll slowly fine tune the ratings until hopefully we can adopt a pretty common one that we can use within our local context so as to give each other a better idea of the standards of players/groups.
    This in turn hopefully will be a fair assessment if we wish to organise friendly matches, mini-tournaments etc.

To Iwan: Tmrw I won't be playing at IMH. Most likely playing at JE instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am definetely beginner, always got beaten by other players in my group
    Well, must train harder. BANZAAI!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting
    but if there is standardisation, it would be better

simon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My ladder system

in my prior posts, i have been using the grading system like in school, A,B,C, D's

Pros : seasoned pros who currently compete at the highest level

Advanced grouping
    A+: (elite) Ex Pros (see above) who have competed as pros but no longer compete at the highest form to top Pros from some lower ranked countries like canada. They are or were once represented as nationals
    A: (top advanced) Tops players in their city or provinces or states
    A- (advanced) Top players in their high school but not good enough to be pick by their state or province.

Intermediate Grouping Competed in local tourneys. Had some partial training.
    B+: high intermediate, occasionally win some local tournaments
    B: entered some tournaments but dont win anything worth mentioning
    B-: low intermediate

Recreational Grouping Never took any lessons or just started in lessons. Play somewhat regularly. Play for fun and fitness. Expressed some interest in badminton theory but not a lot.
    C+
    C
    C-

Beginner Grouping Just started less than 1 year ago, plays on and off, never took any lessons, formal or informal. Interested in finding advanced equipments / clothing than a good coach
    D+
    D
    D-
    Last edited by cooler; 05-19-2006 at 05:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if badminton can adopt & adapt the players rating found in golf and squash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madman
    I wonder if badminton can adopt & adapt the players rating found in golf and squash.
    any system is good as long as everyone follows it eg. abc, 1,2,3, high/low advance/intermediate/beginner, etc..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far I have also received many useful feedback outside this boards.

Several players feel that the ratings may be better received if they could be in the form of "numerical ratings" like in the tennis NTRP system (eg 2.5, 4.5) instead of "descriptive ratings" like Beginners, Low Intermediates etc.

The reason for this is that not many people like to rate themselves lower than what they think they are.

Many "good" and experienced players would like to see themselves as Advanced or High Intermediates.
    Yet they know that they are not even comparable to top under-17 school players who are not even in the national youth training squad.

So a numerical rating like 4.0 will be much "kinder".

Even local squash and tennis use A, B, C - F grading in local tournaments. Perhaps they too have explored these issues before they finally decided on the non-descriptive ratings.

Hmm... we're definitely getting closer. Keep 'em coming dudes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by surge

To place yourself:
    A.Begin with 1.5. Read all categories carefully and then decide which one best describes your present ability level. Be certain that you qualify on all points of all preceding levels as well as those in the level you choose.
    B. When rating yourself assume you are playing against a player of the same gender and the same ability.

General Characteristics of Various NTRP Playing Levels( modified for badminton)

B.
    You have limited experience and are working primarily on getting the shuttle in play.

You lack court experience and your strokes need developing. You are familiar with the basic positions for singles but play doubles like singles play.
    You are learning to judge where the shuttle is going, although your court coverage is limited by your footwork. You can sustain a short rally of slow pace with other players of the same ability but are not using proper footwork.
    You are fairly consistent when hitting medium-paced shots, but are not comfortable with all strokes and lacks consistency when trying for directional control, depth, or power. Your most common doubles formation is covering your own half of the court. You execute the same type of service for doubles and singles regardless of opponent.

You have achieved improved stroke dependability with directional control on moderate shots, but need to develop depth and variety. You exhibit more aggressive net play, have improved court coverage and are developing teamwork in doubles in both attack and defense. You can serve low quite successfully to force opponent to go into defense.
    You have dependable strokes, including directional control and depth on both forehand and backhand sides on moderate-paced shots. You can use lobs, overheads, smashes and net with some success. Rallies may be lost due to game play than technique. Teamwork in doubles is evident.

You have developed your use of power and deception and can handle pace. You have sound footwork, can control depth of shots, and attempt to vary game play according to your opponents. You can return service well with power and accuracy. Aggressive net play is common when attacking in doubles.

You have good shot anticipation and frequently have an outstanding shot or attribute around which a game may be structured. You can regularly hit winners or force errors off of short serves and can put away weak returns at the net or half court returns. You can successfully execute lobs, drop shots, drives, overhead smashes and netting. You can handle both forehand and backhand techniques in a fast pace shots. you are often able to force weak returns from your opponents.

You have mastered power and/or consistency as a major weapon. You can vary strategies and styles of play in a competitive situation and hit dependable shots in a stress situation.

6.0 to 7.0
    You have had intensive training for national tournament competition at the junior and collegiate levels and have obtained a sectional and/or national ranking.

You are competent in you technique and has good stamina to play competitively in local tournaments.

what you think.

pros or advance will all be 7.0 above so that we know they can play well...is whether they wanna play w you or not
    hey mongoose, NTRP rating better, at least now i think i am a 4.0( thanks for being kind ah). eh this sept i will be playing badminton for 2 years liao....i work hard le...give me some credit la.....4.0 sounds better than beginner le

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on a competitive level, numerical system is more accurate for seeding but ABCD system is general enough for most players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps we should just forget about the classification and just play. With a little more patience, I believe players of all skill levels can still enjoy a nice game of badminton without the need for everybody to live up to some tag. Especially when for many of us, our skill level changes drastically during a session becoming real bad near the end when we are dead tired. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EastDevil
    Perhaps we should just forget about the classification and just play. With a little more patience, I believe players of all skill levels can still enjoy a nice game of badminton without the need for everybody to live up to some tag. Especially when for many of us, our skill level changes drastically during a session becoming real bad near the end when we are dead tired. :-)
    the purpose i believe is to make games more enjoyable for all. eg. you are eager for a good game and landed in a group that calls themselves intermediate to find out that they arent exaclty intermediate OR when you read a post in a beginners group, join them and find that these beginners whack so hard at you also no good.

in tennis forums, players sound out their NTRP ratings when looking for players so that they get players of similar standards and the games are more enjoyable that way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Agree with this ranking. I think the Aussies does this for tournaments, they have grade A, A+, B, C and D. Which is good for those who wants to get a shot at their own levels. After winning a grade, its promotion time. No such thing as demotion. No pain No gain.
    rgds

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose
    I have seen and joined many players/groups who categorise themselves as advanced players, only to be disappointed that they are actually only high beginners or low intermediates according to my own definition of those terms.
    I am sure that many others have also experienced such things.

I wonder if there are any set of universal rating system for badminton similar to tennis' NTRP system for players to rate themselves more accurately.

Just as a gauge for those of you who know my standard, I rate myself as a "low intermediate". I have played with and against players ranging from complete beginners to professionals like Aman Santosa and Hendri Saputra. As such, my definition of "advanced" would tend to be a little stricter than those players who have not had a chance to spar with players of such calibre.

So here's how I define those terms. Do comment and add on them.
    Hopefully we can refine it as we go along.

Professionals/Ex-professionals: Players currently representing/represented their countries in international tournaments. National youth players do not count.

Advanced: Players who are/were members of the national training squad but have not represented their countries in major international tournaments belong to this category. National Youth squad trainees (above age 17) belong to this category too.

Intermediates: Players who regularly take part in local competitions and have had a high degree of success. Inter-con players who have won regularly belong to this category. These players possess very good fundamentals but lack the experience and certain aspects of their game to put them on par with the Advanced players eg speed, power, stamina, killer instinct, gameplay.

Low Intermediates: Players who have/had occasionally taken part in local competitions but have not had a high degree of success. These players generally belong to social groups/clubs and occasionally take part in local tournament just for fun. Generally have very sounds basics and good gameplay but do not undergo regular formal training. As such, they do not have good stamina, speed and power to match the more regular competitive players.

High beginners: These are the regular social players. Occasionally take part in friendly matches with other social groups. Have low degree of success in friendly matches. Hardly takes part in local competitions.

Beginners: Generally players who have played for less than a year. Have not taken part even in friendly matches. May be able to execute proper strokes and footwork but lack success in match situations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default malaysian

Is that Alan Tai u are referring to? Shd be a ex-national level.
    rgds

Quote Originally Posted by JBKokKeong
    I agree with Iwan that Kendrick is somehow not as good as susilo or supatra when compare in thier best form.

Speaking about Ex-professionals, IMHO Donald Koh can take on any single players (other than Susilo, Supatra and Maybe 50-50 against kendrick ) and he is either 35 or 37 i think. Just sometime ago, a national squad full time player lost to him in a friendly match. Goes to show our standard...lolz.

Mongoose, actually i would somehow disagree with certain aspect of the categorization of level of play in the advance category.

I was 3rd in the Konica Junior Singapore Open when i was 15 and part of the Intermediate Training Squad under the Spex/ F&N Scheme when i was 17. However i was reminded of those "Hidden Tiger Crouching Dragon" when i was beaten by an unknown malaysian in a friendly game organize by my friend. I query further and was told he is neither a Malaysian squad or State player and yet he can play so well. Press on and he say he actually have a chance to train with the malaysian squad before but he turn it down due to "political reasons".

I wonder how do we classify these type of players?

E.g I have played against some indonesian players in the Current ongoing Singapore Inter club tournament and players like Adi from CSC are neither ex-PBSI or provincial players but has a high degree of badminton skills. And i feel there many other good players who are very skillful but never got to represent or train with their various Badminton Federations.

Of coz its easy to classify ex-indonesian players in Singapore like Dicky, Faris etc under advance....maybe even Semi professionals hahax.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yo guys, I've developed an online Badminton Skill rating system, perhaps we now can standardise with this system? I know it's not perfect, but at least we start with something first than fine-tune along the way.

Website at http://www.badminton-network.com

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast