User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Netasia
    yo guys, I've developed an online Badminton Skill rating system, perhaps we now can standardise with this system? I know it's not perfect, but at least we start with something first than fine-tune along the way.

Website at http://www.badminton-network.com
    that is a nice website and a convenient tool to do a quick rating. thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by surge
    you are eager for a good game and landed in a group that calls themselves intermediate to find out that they arent exaclty intermediate OR when you read a post in a beginners group, join them and find that these beginners whack so hard at you also no good.
    Sounds like a match-making the way SDU does it. For the uninitiated SDU is the acronym for Social Development Unit, a pseudo-government agency that is tasked to get unmarried graduate in Singapore to get hitched and reproduce.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yo guys, I've developed an online Badminton Skill rating system, perhaps we now can standardise with this system? I know it's not perfect, but at least we start with something first than fine-tune along the way.

Mike, just to reconfirm, its the higher the better? I got 5.7. I probably over-rated myself as you're a much better player than me

Can you reveal what's the weightage for each question? and the breakdown for the various categories of BSR? Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sure, the questions are break down into 5 set of 6 questions each. The first set is 0.2 for each question, the 2nd & 3rd set is 0.3 each. The 4th set plus the first 2 question of the 5th set is 0.4 each, the balance are 0.5.

when i did the BSR, i take it as how often do I execute the stroke in a game. For example, the forehand & backend drive, I may know how to execute it, but I never use it a game, thus I select as "No".

Likewise, the question on tapping loose ball on net, I selected "No" as I dont always score point from that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EastDevil
    Perhaps we should just forget about the classification and just play. With a little more patience, I believe players of all skill levels can still enjoy a nice game of badminton without the need for everybody to live up to some tag. Especially when for many of us, our skill level changes drastically during a session becoming real bad near the end when we are dead tired. :-)
    ERR~ I got 1 stupid idea
    setup a recognise private institution (with recognise tester) to assess our level,

eg: pay sgd 10 for the 1 hr assessment, and they will give u a cert / ID card indicated your skill level , and the ID is valid for 18mths, after expiry go for another test.
    or u can go for another test when u feel tat u are not satisfied / no longer in the level indicated in ur ID.

just an idea tat pop up in my mind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to admit this is an interesting thread, so many ideas on how to define a beginner, so here's my input on how to classify someone as a beginner, intermediate or advanced. I dont think you are going to get anywhere trying to classify people into different categories. I think it should be simply divided based on groups that are playing, for example.

Group1- Hey we are pretty damn good, almost to the level of being able to give the best in the country a tough fight, so don't bother playing with us if you play like crap!

Group2-We were once good, in fact we still sit around and talk about the glory days! So dont bother coming if you have no stories to share, and we have no time for anyone who cannot leap 3 feet off the ground before executing a perfect smash

Group3-We actually feel that we are superior to the rest of you, and will look at you with absolute disgust and contempt if you happen to miss a shot. So dont bother coming if you are planning to miss a few shots, it will just totally spoil our day and you will totally hate that.

Group4-We are not bothered with your level of play, just a bunch of slightly overweight people looking to have some fun. Yeah we will miss a lot of shots but at least we will not make you feel like scum of the earth. At the end of the day we will go back to our families with a big fat smile on our faces.

In every aspect of our life we have people seeking to classify us in one way or the other, so unless you have serious ambitions of turning professional in the near future, learn to relax, take a deep breath and have some fun. Just check with the group you are planning to join if they are training for some special purpose, if they are and you harbour the same ambition then do join them, if not look for people who dont give a crap about classfication.

theforceisback and still strong....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theforceisback
    I have to admit this is an interesting thread, so many ideas on how to define a beginner, so here's my input on how to classify someone as a beginner, intermediate or advanced. I dont think you are going to get anywhere trying to classify people into different categories. I think it should be simply divided based on groups that are playing, for example.

Group1- Hey we are pretty damn good, almost to the level of being able to give the best in the country a tough fight, so don't bother playing with us if you play like crap!

Group2-We were once good, in fact we still sit around and talk about the glory days! So dont bother coming if you have no stories to share, and we have no time for anyone who cannot leap 3 feet off the ground before executing a perfect smash

Group3-We actually feel that we are superior to the rest of you, and will look at you with absolute disgust and contempt if you happen to miss a shot. So dont bother coming if you are planning to miss a few shots, it will just totally spoil our day and you will totally hate that.

Group4-We are not bothered with your level of play, just a bunch of slightly overweight people looking to have some fun. Yeah we will miss a lot of shots but at least we will not make you feel like scum of the earth. At the end of the day we will go back to our families with a big fat smile on our faces.

In every aspect of our life we have people seeking to classify us in one way or the other, so unless you have serious ambitions of turning professional in the near future, learn to relax, take a deep breath and have some fun. Just check with the group you are planning to join if they are training for some special purpose, if they are and you harbour the same ambition then do join them, if not look for people who dont give a crap about classfication.

lol that's a good one!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well said Jim, really well said.

I happily declare that I belong to Group 4 although I am not only slightly but actually very much overweight!!!

Seriously though, it is very much the reception and the attitude of the members of the group make me decide if I will join the second time, and not so much of the skill level gap. I donot really mind if I won or lost most of the matches as long as the group I played with donot mind my company and I enjoy their company too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hehe! I love this post! Lol!!!
    I would fall right between 3 & 4.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think this rating system is quite interesting... maybe everyone can use it to rate themselves (truthfully) and have it under our nickname... so it'll be easier for people to locate the kind of players they are looking for...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah I'm group 4!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by surge
    hey sealman, i have modified the NTRP ratings to suit badminton better.....

To place yourself:
    A.Begin with 1.5. Read all categories carefully and then decide which one best describes your present ability level. Be certain that you qualify on all points of all preceding levels as well as those in the level you choose.
    B. When rating yourself assume you are playing against a player of the same gender and the same ability.

General Characteristics of Various NTRP Playing Levels( modified for badminton)

B.
    You have limited experience and are working primarily on getting the shuttle in play.

You lack court experience and your strokes need developing. You are familiar with the basic positions for singles but play doubles like singles play.
    You are learning to judge where the shuttle is going, although your court coverage is limited by your footwork. You can sustain a short rally of slow pace with other players of the same ability but are not using proper footwork.
    You are fairly consistent when hitting medium-paced shots, but are not comfortable with all strokes and lacks consistency when trying for directional control, depth, or power. Your most common doubles formation is covering your own half of the court. You execute the same type of service for doubles and singles regardless of opponent.

You have achieved improved stroke dependability with directional control on moderate shots, but need to develop depth and variety. You exhibit more aggressive net play, have improved court coverage and are developing teamwork in doubles in both attack and defense. You can serve low quite successfully to force opponent to go into defense.
    You have dependable strokes, including directional control and depth on both forehand and backhand sides on moderate-paced shots. You can use lobs, overheads, smashes and net with some success. Rallies may be lost due to game play than technique. Teamwork in doubles is evident.

You have developed your use of power and deception and can handle pace. You have sound footwork, can control depth of shots, and attempt to vary game play according to your opponents. You can return service well with power and accuracy. Aggressive net play is common when attacking in doubles.

You have good shot anticipation and frequently have an outstanding shot or attribute around which a game may be structured. You can regularly hit winners or force errors off of short serves and can put away weak returns at the net or half court returns. You can successfully execute lobs, drop shots, drives, overhead smashes and netting. You can handle both forehand and backhand techniques in a fast pace shots. you are often able to force weak returns from your opponents.

You have mastered power and/or consistency as a major weapon. You can vary strategies and styles of play in a competitive situation and hit dependable shots in a stress situation.

6.0 to 7.0
    You have had intensive training for national tournament competition at the junior and collegiate levels and have obtained a sectional and/or national ranking.

You are competent in you technique and has good stamina to play competitively in local tournaments.

what you think.

pros or advance will all be 7.0 above so that we know they can play well...is whether they wanna play w you or not
    problem with this system is too technique specific. What if i could execute some in catergory 5 but lack couple of skills found in level 3.5? If i give u 5 players each ranked as 4.0 using your system, i bet they all play diffferently, and if they compete among themselves, one or 2 of the 5 players would beat other 2-3 easily and yet they all could be called a 4.0

Even the ibf ranking system isnt great. If one plays lots of tournament, u can pick up lotta points. Take for ex, in the 06 US open, the MS final, the #79 japanese guy beat a #24 canadian guy.
    Last edited by cooler; 08-20-2006 at 02:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Grouping

Hi Jimmy,
    I like yr classification lah. Me old grp 4.........play,miss, smile n go home.
    Dont give a crap of whether win or loss??? Just sweat it out and enjoy the games.
    Lee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on all the discussions above ,perhaps apart from beginner/intermediate/advanced, there should be an additional description to explain the 'attitude' of the group.

The suggested classification is LEISURE / COMPETITIVE. EG: INTERMEDIATE - LEISURE, BEGINNER - LEISURE, INTERMEDIATE - COMPETITIVE.

Leisure meaning that thought the players are of a certain skill level, they play for fun, and if you are a weaker player, they are willing to say, reduce the power of their smash, keep the rally going, rather than going for the kill.

On the other hand, there is competitive which means that the players aim to give 100% in every match, no chance given, kill any weak shot etc.

This is something like the group 3 / group 4 suggested by others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm,

a good guide indeed.... bravo my friend...
    rgds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Notnimdab729
    Hi Jimmy,
    I like yr classification lah. Me old grp 4.........play,miss, smile n go home.
    Dont give a crap of whether win or loss??? Just sweat it out and enjoy the games.
    Lee
    all group 4 folks love Jimmy..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Grading Badminton Skills

I'm a bit confused on the postings on the level of play/players.

Beginner
    Intermediate
    Advanced
    Professional???

How do you define each level and know which level you're at?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast