User Tag List

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Can someone who is watching the Indonesian Open report on this

Hello People watching the Indonesian Open,

Can someone who is watching the Indonesian Open report on this?

Please remember that we refer to Singles Only.

Are attacking-players more successful than control-players?

Cheers... chris@ccc

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Singapore Open 2006

Quote Originally Posted by hcyong
    As for spectator enjoyment, I think I prefer the new system. If shorter games mean more attacking play, then spectators should be happy. Also, sometimes it is a bit frustrating to watch repeated service-overs without any points won. It can be argued that it is more exciting to watch the scores keep going up but always never more than one point separating them. The deuce system is also much more exciting. Also, shorter games mean that it is less likely for players to injure themselves and players can better take on more matches per day than previously.
    Hi hcyong,

Are you in Singapore or in KL? Or should I ask, are you watching the Singapore Open 2006 at courtside?

I have asked Loh to report if there are any "great differences" between NSS(this year) and OSS(previous years) @Singapore Open's Singles Matches. But knowing Loh, he would be at the hall, watching 24-hour if he could and find no time to report.

Watching at courtside is very different from watching it on screen(when and if I can get it later).

Any report would be appreciated.

Cheers... chris@ccc

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc
    Hey Loh,

Did you think there were more attacking/aggressive Singles tactics at the Commonwealth Games, Melbourne 2006? I think you would agree with me that we did not think so. May be, it was too early under the NSS. May be, not many World Top-Ranking Singles Players were playing at the Commonwealth Games, other than LCW.

Knowing that you will be at the Singapore Open 2006, could you please report to us how this year's Singles tactics are played compared to last year's.

At courtside, you should see and feel it better. Will you detect changes in Singles tactics played under the OSS versus the NSS?

Will the attacking/aggressive tactics pay better dividends? Please report on both Ladies and Mens Singles.

But, of course, enjoy yourself as well.

Cheers... chris@ccc
    ]I believe on the technical side, the world-class players will not only have to sharpen on their smashes, like adding more power and accuracy, but also to improve in other areas also, such as netplay and a solid defence. If a player can anticipate a powerful smash and use the same power inherent in that smash to return it away from his opponent, that reply will be devastating! So we should expect the overall technical skills to be honed still further.

After watching many rounds of MS in this SO, it confirms my belief that the attacking game will be standard strategy for the 21 pt rally system (NSS).

Typically, it will start with a low serve most times. The return will either be close to the net away from the server or a quick flick to the base. Then the two rivals will try their best to create opportunities to attack, mainly with good net play before they the finish off with a smash.

With the exception of the Ronald Susilo versus Nguyen Tien Minh match in R3, whereupon the traditional old-style, long rallies, point for point style was employed as both players were visibly tired, almost all other MS matches were quick, attacking play.

So, the player who has mastered the net and being to play to whatever net shots, especially the delicate cross court to completely change direction; and who possesses a very powerful and accurate smash, will very likely to win.

As regards the smash, so far in the tournament, Chen Hong and Bao Chulai stood out with their seemingly easy execution of the overhead smash. In an instant, just with merely flicking their wrist and without using much power, they can cause a lot of problem because of the speed and direction of the smash. Lin Dan would also fall into this category although he did not participate.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thank you Loh for the report: SO 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Loh

I believe on the technical side, the world-class players will not only have to sharpen on their smashes, like adding more power and accuracy, but also to improve in other areas also, such as netplay and a solid defence. If a player can anticipate a powerful smash and use the same power inherent in that smash to return it away from his opponent, that reply will be devastating! So we should expect the overall technical skills to be honed still further.

After watching many rounds of MS in this SO, it confirms my belief that the attacking game will be standard strategy for the 21 pt rally system (NSS).

Typically, it will start with a low serve most times. The return will either be close to the net away from the server or a quick flick to the base. Then the two rivals will try their best to create opportunities to attack, mainly with good net play before they the finish off with a smash.
    Thank you Loh,

Please report when you have watched the FINALS of the SO Singles too.

Cheers... chris@ccc

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loh, did you notice any player who elected not to serve but instead chose to receive service after winning the toss?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Chen Hong out in the NSS. What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Loh

So, the player who has mastered the net and being to play to whatever net shots, especially the delicate cross court to completely change direction; and who possesses a very powerful and accurate smash, will very likely to win.

As regards the smash, so far in the tournament, Chen Hong and Bao Chulai stood out with their seemingly easy execution of the overhead smash. In an instant, just with merely flicking their wrist and without using much power, they can cause a lot of problem because of the speed and direction of the smash. Lin Dan would also fall into this category although he did not participate.
    Hey Loh,

I just found that Chen Hong was beaten by Kenneth Jonassen via Singapoe Open 2006 Live Score Link. What happened???

Most people assumed that NSS would give a big, big advantage to Chen Hong, who is well known for his excellent attacking play.

Both Peter Gade and Bao Chulai are also considered as excellent attacking players. So I wasn't surprised when I found PG winning. But how did KJ beat CH?

Cheers... chris@ccc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Loh,

I just found that Chen Hong was beaten by Kenneth Jonassen via Singapoe Open 2006 Live Score Link. What happened???

Most people assumed that NSS would give a big, big advantage to Chen Hong, who is well known for his excellent attacking play.

Both Peter Gade and Bao Chulai are also considered as excellent attacking players. So I wasn't surprised when I found PG winning. But how did KJ beat CH?

Cheers... chris@ccc
    the lost art of not making mistakes?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerby
    the lost art of not making mistakes?
    Hey jerby,

Thank you last week, for the Friendly Soccer Match, Australia Vs The Netherlands, before The World Cup 2006.

Good Luck to The Netherlands.

Cheers... chris@ccc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey jerby,

Thank you last week, for the Friendly Soccer Match, Australia Vs The Netherlands, before The World Cup 2006.

Good Luck to The Netherlands.

Cheers... chris@ccc
    ehm,,,,I don't follow soccer that much...did we win?
    good luck to the Australia..shouldn't be too hard with such a good coach

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ehm,,,,I don't follow soccer that much...did we win?
    good luck to the Australia..shouldn't be too hard with such a good coach
    No, you did not win. The score was 1-1 and that's a good result for a "Friendly Match".

If you have won, I would be upset with you... hehehe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, you did not win. The score was 1-1 and that's a good result for a "Friendly Match".

If you have won, I would be upset with you... hehehe.
    indeed, 1-1 keeps it friendly. nice way to highjack a thread btw. How do you like the coach? is he declared a national hero yet? ( you dó have a dutch coach right? or am i mixing stuff up?)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

indeed, 1-1 keeps it friendly. nice way to highjack a thread btw. How do you like the coach? is he declared a national hero yet? ( you dó have a dutch coach right? or am i mixing stuff up?)
    Coach is Guus Hiddink. He is Dutch and he will be our National Hero when Australia wins the World Cup.

England Vs Paraguay is starting right now (on television). Catch up with you later.

Cheers... chris@ccc
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 06-10-2006 at 08:01 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Peter Gade Vs Bao Chunlai: Singapore Open 2006

Hey Loh,

I just found out that PG took more than an hour to beat Bao Chunlai in the semi-final.

And many people(including myself) think that under the NSS, matches will be shorter and stamina is not an important factor anymore. It proved us all wrong.

Tell me what it was like @courtside.

Cheers... chris@ccc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Loh,

I just found out that PG took more than an hour to beat Bao Chunlai in the semi-final.

And many people(including myself) think that under the NSS, matches will be shorter and stamina is not an important factor anymore. It proved us all wrong.

Tell me what it was like @courtside.

Cheers... chris@ccc
    OF COURSE THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS!!! DID YOU NOTICE HOW SHORT THE OTHER MATCHES ARE??!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    Loh, did you notice any player who elected not to serve but instead chose to receive service after winning the toss?
    I am now back at the office after many hours and days at the SIS. Despite the absence of some of the regular top players for both men and women, we enjoyed many closely-fought matches.

You caught me on this one! I did not pay much attention to this particular aspect but as you would already know, in a vast majority of the matches, the player would elect to serve instead of choosing court.

It is true that a bad serve will lend the player in deep trouble and perhaps a point, but he has the psychological advantage that the shuttle is in his hands and he is in control. He can choose to serve low or high, to the side lines or the centre. And if he really served a good one, he can anticipate for a kill!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Loh,

Cheers... chris@ccc
    To start off with, the Danes have always been known to be very tough and the men particularly so in this SO.

KJ seems to have a psychological edge over CH, despite the latter's familiarity with the Singapore conditions and his popularity with the Singapore fans, his having won the SO a number of times in the past. And KJ, just like PG, is an attacking player, fast, adept and skilful!

Against CH, KJ never really gave him much chance to attack. KJ took the initiative instead and had CH scurrying all over the court. And KJ himself had to work hard but his "never-say-die" attitude survived and visibly riled his opponent! This is possible because his technical skill is no less inferior to CH's. That's why the match lasted slightly more than an hour in 3 games, 25-23, 19-21, 21-16. You could guess from the third game that CH was mentally distraught and weakened by KJ's robustness and "what-you-can-do-I-can-do better" response!

However, the reverse is true of PG versus KJ. Somehow, PG is always confident and gives the impression right from the beginning that KJ is his inferior! This pschological advantage is a great boost to PG's total annihilation of the helpless KJ in the final as the score of 21-10, 21-14 in merely 35 min demonstrated. Having been teammates for such a long time and KJ playing second fiddle most times, PG knows KJ's game inside out and really capitalized on it.

So, as I've said, technical skills aside, it is the mental toughness and psychology that mattered in the end!
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the idea behind the NSS that attacking play will win is that attacking play is more tiring but more effective. Now that you don't have to worry about getting as tired you can attack more therefore being more effective.

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast