korean players

Discussion in 'Korea Open / Hong Kong Open 2006' started by asuncion_03, May 20, 2006.

1. asuncion_03

asuncion_03 Regular Member

how will korea play against world's badminton monsters like china and denmark??

2. event

event Regular Member

Well.:rolleyes:

3. event

event Regular Member

The Koreans typically play well especially at home. Add to that the fact that the world's best always seem to pass on the world's top prize money, and it is no surprise that results like last year's - when, with all the top men and Ra Kyung-min retired and Shon injured and Lee HI coming back from a military hiatus, Korea still bagged 3 golds - are par for the course.

Lin Dan and the top Chinese women have missed every Korean Open since 2002 and all the top Chinese men skipped it in 2003 and 2005. Taufik came only once in my memory, in 2004 to lose in the first round to a Spaniard. It doesn't matter whether it's the week before and nextdoor to the Japan Open - as in 2002-2004 when many top players claimed to be resting up for the JO - or if it is all by itself in the schedule as it was last year, it never attracts the players that tournaments with lower prize money like the Japan or China or Singapore Opens do. The All England draws a better contigent with less prize money too but obviously, because of its history as the unofficial world championship, it doesn't count.

This year, I expect at least as dismal a turnout as last year considering that it is within a month of the WC. Last year the last major tournament before the WC(the Malaysian Open) was a month and a half prior. Korea will probably win all 5 golds.

#3 event, May 20, 2006
    Last edited: May 20, 2006
  4. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    don't forget alven/luluk win the KO 2004 title :)

5. TKG2609

TKG2609 Regular Member

i hope there is new raising star from korea ...

6. event

event Regular Member

Well, the best example in that category is 17-year-old Lee Yong Dae. See the thread dedicated to him. Apart from him, there are some who are relatively new to the scene but not new enough to count as rising stars. Lee Jae Jin and Lee Hyo Jung have already risen and they've been on or near the top for a year and a half now. Jung Jae-sung's partnership with Lee Yong-dae is still on the rise but he already made some ripples with Lee Jae-jin in men's doubles last year: winning the Thailand Open, for instance.

7. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Lee Yong Dae is awesome, this kid has unfathomable potentials. :eek: :eek: :eek:

But I need one from Korea who is good at Men's singles. In tennis, double players cannot even close to singles in both money and fame.

Of couse, Lee YI is good, but is not good enough. By the way, who is the ever greatest singles from Korea? Lee YI?

8. event

event Regular Member

I can't really help you on the men's singles. I don't know of any up and coming talents in that event. I'm pretty sure the men's singles final in the last few nationals has been Lee HI vs. Shon Seung-mo. Correction. Park Sung-hwan was 2nd last year and won the year before. He is only 22 but I just don't see him challenging the top Chinese men even in the future.

Other Koreans have won events or come second at events like the All England (Like Lee HI) but I don't know if any have reached #1 as Lee did, briefly. Shon is the only Korean to win a medal in men's singles at the Olympics.

9. Shiro

Shiro Regular Member

Student
    Well, Korean players are quite inconsistent but Jae Sung-Yong Dae are rising stars.

10. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

Isn't Malaysia one of them?

11. event

event Regular Member

hence the use of the phrase "like" to denote a small number of examples used to represent a longer list. Actually, Malaysia often has a vocal cheering section but the Malaysian competitors don't generally do very well in Korea. The last time a Malaysian was in any final was in 2000 when Rashid Sidek lost to Peter Gade. There is a good chance for a departure from that trend this year, though.

12. kokcheng

kokcheng Regular Member

It's just a matter of time.The Koreans will definitely be a force to be reckoned with.Look at their achievements in football and hockey and it will give you the shivers.In the early seventies Malaysia were as good as the Koreans.I am sure Koreans in their forties and above know the likes of Chin Aun, Mokhtar Dahari,James Wong and Santokh Singh.Now look where the Korean Footballers are compared to our pathetic players.It's even worst in hockey.In 1974 Malaysia was the 4th ranked in the world.At that time who knows about korean hockey players.Beware Malaysian shuttlers.It's high time to think as real professionals and pull your socks up.With their good discipline,dedication,strength,stamina and battling spirit the Koreans deserves admiration.

13. Chu Liuxiang

Chu Liuxiang Regular Member

Greatest Singles From Korea

Beside LHI, I think Kim Hak Kyun and Park Sung Woo are also quite good. I still remember in 1992 Thomas Cup Group Match between Korea vs Malaysia, Park Sung Woo defeated Kwan Yoke Meng in the third singes and Korea bt Malaysia 3-2 in Kuala Lumpur ( Korea scored another two points from two doubles pairs).

14. event

event Regular Member

The records say that Park Sung-woo reached the finals of an international event 4 times: '95 Sweden Open(won), '95 ABC(won), '97 Japan Open(runner-up), '97 Korea Open(runner-up).

Kim Hak-kyun reached 2 finals: '95 Sweden Open(runner-up), '96 Korea Open(won). The records may be incomplete. Neither of these guys is very old. They were both born in '71.

An article that came out after Lee Hyun-il won silver at this year's All England mentioned 3 Koreans who had reached the semis of the AE in the past. One was Park Sung-woo and the others were Lee Gwang-jin(who, like Park, did it in '96) and Sung Han-gook(1986). No data is available from the KBA on Sung so I'm guessing other results from these other singles players from the 80s and 90s are also not on their system, which also only presents top 3 finishes so it wouldn't reflect consistent QF appearances. Lee Gwang-jin, by the way, reached the finals of a few tournaments himself: '95 Chinese Taipei Open(runner-up), '95 Canadian Open(won), '96 Korea Open(runner-up), '96 Lauder Air Cup[sp?](runner-up).

15. event

event Regular Member

By the way, by the time the seeding is done for the World Championships, the standings will be like this, plus whatever the point results are for the Korea and Hong Kong Opens. That means that Korea's Lee/Jung have a good chance of going into the worlds as the top seeds but it also means that anything could happen. If every pair plays both events, the teams that will have the hardest time of improving their ranking will be Clark&Blair and all the Malaysian pairs except Chan/Koo because these 4 pairs will have played 11 events, meaning that 1000-2000 points will come off their totals before their second HK points go on. That may be why all the Malaysians are heading to Madrid before the Hong Kong Open. Jung&Lee will be playing at home and then in Hong Kong with half the top 10 missing. Excellent opportunity.

1 ERIKSEN Jens /LUNDGAARDHANSEN Martin 27867.97
    2 CHOONG Tan Fook / LEE Wan Wah 27746.81
    3 JUNG Jae Sung / LEE Yong Dae 27460.57
    4 FU Haifeng / CAI Yun 26670.35
    5 MOHD TAZARI Mohd Fairuzizuan / LIN Woon Fui 24990
    6 CHAN Chong Ming / KOO Kien Keat 24172.52
    7 CLARK Anthony / BLAIR ~ Robert 23112.5
    8 LOGOSZ Michal / MATEUSIAK Robert 19022.93
    9 HADIYANTO Luluk / ALVEN Yulianto 18012
    10 GAN Teik Chai / ABDUL LATIF Mohd Zakry 17910

#15 event, Aug 12, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  16. khelben

khelben Regular Member

hey event, thanks for the info.

i was just wondering about the second korean md pair that will be sent to madrid, which i believe is hwang ji man and han sang hoon. haven't seen han in action for a long while now and hwang is now partnering lee jae jin for most tournaments and enjoying a relatively high degree of success. so have the big-wigs given up on the hwang-han pairing and merely sending them to madrid because of ranking circumstances or is (was) there some bout of injury that i've failed to recall?

17. event

event Regular Member

Are you sure they're sending them to Madrid? Or are you just judging by the list of WC qualifiers? The last I checked, there was a few partnerships that qualified for the WC but which are no longer in action. I'm thinking of Candra/Sigit, Tony/Howard, etc. If Hwang/Han also qualified but Hwang is now playing with Lee Jae-jin, there is no guarantee that they won't just send one pair. I may not have mentioned that I have no inside information. I just go by what the records say and translate what I can for all here. I haven't heard anything about Lee JJ, Jung Tae-geuk, Hwang Ji-man or Han Sang-hoon. To my knowledge, there is no coverage in the press here of the decisions about splitting up pairs, etc. I assumed last year that they split up Lee Jae-jin and Jung Jae-sung because they wanted Lee Jae-jin to concentrate on mixed but then the two were reunited to try for a third straight national title in December and then they found two consecutive new partners for Lee Jae-jin. I know of no public explanation for that.

#17 event, Aug 13, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  18. khelben

khelben Regular Member

yup. i'm judging by the list of qualifiers. based on the column that indicates if the invitation was accepted. i am of course assuming that this confirms their presence in the upcoming WC (since all the pairs not playing including c/s, t/h, and even lee jae jin and jung jae sung have replied no). :D

i was also under the impression they broke ljj and jung up because of an injury to lee.

alot of assuming on my part for the day! haha!

#18 khelben, Aug 13, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  19. event

event Regular Member

I wondered about that too but they split them up right after the Indonesian Open but Lee kept playing mixed with Lee Hyo-jung at events such as the Chinese Taipei Open. And then, as I mentioned, they were reunited for the nationals within 2 months.

I noticed the "Yes" there, too. I think that was the best they could do. They didn't have any other way of getting two teams into the WC. Hwang and Han played together in all 3 stops on the European tour early this year and did okay. No sign of an injury to Han. He placed second in the men's doubles in the university division of a domestic tournament last month.

20. khelben

khelben Regular Member

it's a pity there isn't much infomation even in the korean press. yes i did think that hwang and han were a relatively stable pair. perhaps if they achieve something in madrid, they might be restored.